• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1951 Roosies.

8 posts in this topic

As mentioned in some recent threads I'm starting to get interested in Roosevelts. Not in a major way, more along a having fun way. While they are small, they are relatively inexpensive and they can tone up nicely.

Last Sunday Russ had a variety of items up on consignment sale at fleabay. I was particularly interested in the 1951 MS66FBL and the 1951-S MS66FBL Franklins. It appeared to me that they were out of the same mint set, and there were also a MS66FB '51-D and a MS67FT '51-S Roosie and a MS66 1951 Washie that appeared to be from the same set. I decided to try and pick them all up. (There was a MS66 '51-S Washie that didn't appear to be from the same set, but I decided once I was going down the 1951 path to try and fill out as many of the slots as possible as I have twin elder brothers who were born in 1951, so I went for that too).

Russ' auctions were of the rolling sort, e.g. one item followed by the next, one minute apart. I ended up winning the two Roosies and the two Washies, but getting sniped at pretty much literally the last second (and I had strong bids on the coins) on the two Franklins. Colorfulcoins had a MS66 1951 Roosie up on fleabay about 1 hour after the end of Russ' auctions, and the colors were complimentary to the ones I had just bought, so I picked that one up too. So, here are the 3 Roosies...

NGC MS66

Roosevelt51_N66Sm.jpg

Roosevelt51_N66RevSm.jpg

PCGS MS66FB (Not as much toning as I'd like, but part of the set).

Roosevelt51D_66FB.jpg

Roosevelt51D_66FBRev.jpg

PCGS MS67FB

Roosevelt51S_67FB.jpg

Roosevelt51S_67FBRev.jpg

That 1951-D is real close to MS67...but I think see what's holding it back...tick near the eye and possibly the tick on the flame? Very nice examples even if they don't have monster toning (thumbs u

Is that a re-punched mint mark on the 51-s, or just some toning that makes it look that way?

I thought that something might be going on with the S too, but when I got it under a loupe it appeared to be normal.

Is that a re-punched mint mark on the 51-s, or just some toning that makes it look that way?

I thought that something might be going on with the S too, but when I got it under a loupe it appeared to be normal.

I have noticed that a lot of S-mint Roosevelts from the '50s have mint marks that appear to have been re-punched. In fact, I have 3 '55-S NGC MS67s, and all have RPMs, but since they are not in the Cherrypickers Guide, they are not labled as such.

Great looking coins, by the way. :applause: