• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New ways to pay on Ebay without Paypal....

21 posts in this topic

Seems to be a lot of concern over Paypal lately so I thought I would add how I have solved my concerns and still pay from home, and cheaper.

The Postal Service (USPS.COM) sells Postal money orders over net and delivers them with delivery confirmation when buying. They also allow certified mail to be generated and delivered from there site which is a nice addition. So now I am paying for money orders which are much cheaper, and they are delivered without me having to do nothing but punch in the information on their site. I don't think the scammers want Mail Fraud and other Federal charges for selling through the mail or getting money through the mail and not doing right when selling US Coins.

I know from now on I am going to specify in my auction the payments I except. The buyer can still pay just like always pretty much, dosen't have to leave home to do it, and no fee's, just a MO fee. There is also the fact that Paypal cannot lock any accounts anymore. I have never had a problem, but if what is going on is spreading, I am not going to sit by and get bit by some scammer. We all work to damn hard for what we have, and what we are willing to sell. I don't think I want to lose anything because someone refuses to do their job just because they feel they have the power. I know the Postal Service will prosecute. They tend not to fool around with mail fraud.

Steve

sounds.....GOOD!

Now....can you clarify?

Pretend I am a feeble senile old insufficiently_thoughtful_person. ...I said PRETEND....

smile.gif

OK? Now HOW does one start the process? Not the registration with USPS as that is explained in the USPS link.

but

I have sold a coin. Now what does the buyer do? Does he pay before receipt of item? He would almost HAVE to or I would not ship the coin because I would not know if he paid.

Or does he pay AFTER he receives the coin? Using a receipt or something.

I regret to say that I am not clear on the concept.

Can anyone do a step-by-step on this FANTASTIC post? I have had a paypal freeze of a substantial amount and cancelled my paypal acct.

Help???

confused.gif

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find anything about buying postal money orders online on the U.S. post office web site. I do see where they say you can buy them at any post office or any rural route carrier. Here is a cut and paste from the site;

Postal Money Orders are a safe, convenient, and economical alternative to sending cash through the mail. They can be purchased from any Post Office™ in the United States as well as from any rural route carrier. Postal Money Orders are available up to $1,000 with a daily limit of $10,000 per customer. Identification is required for money order purchases over $3000. Other features include:

Domestic Money Orders

Purchase with cash, debit card, or traveler's check

Valid for an unlimited period

Can be cashed at any Post Office or most banks in the U.S. and its possessions

Replace damaged, lost, or stolen money orders

Fees:

$0.01 to $500.00 ...................$0.90

$500.01 to $1,000.00 ...........$1.25

Am I missing it somewhere? confused-smiley-013.gif

John

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find anything about buying postal money orders online on the U.S. post office web site.

It isn't just you. It's me too. I see where you can use the Postal Services Send Money Online feature to transmit payments electronically, but this is not a Money Order mechanism. In addition, it's $5.95 per month or $1.00 per payment pay-as-you-go.

Is there a different place on the USPS site we should be looking to specifically send Money Order payments?

Beijim

Look at MAULEMALL response to my post (1st one). He has a link direct to the location. All you do is select send money, and select send Money Order. After you select Money Order, just fill in the blanks, address, and where to get payment from. Chacking account is preferred, but it is by direct debit. The last one I did was $1.90. There are other options you can do from the web sight, and delivery confirmation is free I think, as long as you do it from the web site. You can ship from there if you want, and call for a pick-up, print the package label with payment, and the Postal carrier will come get it.

I am just lucky to have seen all the new features added, and after hearing about all the account locks, and bad business practices about Paypal, I figured this might be better. I have to admit, the fee's have gone up very high. Now I can still get paid in a quick manner, or pay quickly, and the transactions will continue to be successful with less money lost in fee's.

Has anybody read the stories on paypalsucks.com. No kidding a real sight named that. The stories were enough to make me think that it will be a matter of time before I get stuck. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve,

I think you are confusing send money with send money order. There is no link on the site to send a money order. They do have a service very similar to PayPal’s where you can send someone money to their e-mail address.

John

The payment program I think I am going to join. You can do a $1.00 at a time per transaction, or pay $5.95 per month. I like the new pay and deliver. The post office only releases the money when the package has been delivered. That is nice for both sides. Package lost, buyer keeps money, package never ships, buyer keeps money, seller doesn't get paid they don't lose the merchandise. Now I do have a USPS account so I don't know what screens everyone gets, but joining the services is free. It is the bill paying option that has a monthly fee, or payment by email.

It really is pretty cool. I know it gave me a sense of security, but then I really have never had a problem other than a guy trying to sell me proof coins one time that were not proof coins and several were missing.

I hope this comes in handy for someone.

Steve

Please try the above link, and select send money order. I have already sent two money orders this way. Hope this helps.

This link leads to the Send Money Online feature, which offers no link pertaining to money orders. Similarly, the MAULEMAULE link does not allow you to send money orders either.

Is it possible that you have signed up for or otherwise registered with the USPS web site, such that you have an active cookie on your machine that signs you in automatically and offers additional options on these pages that are unavailable to those of us who haven't done the same?

Unless that's what's going on, we appear to be occupying parallel universes.

confused.gif

Beijim

Here's a brief overview of how using the U.S. Postal Service Pay@Delivery™ service works if you are selling something on the Internet:

The buyer schedules a payment using the Send Money payment service.

The payment is withdrawn from the buyer's payment account.

An email message is sent to the seller saying "We've got the money, ship the package."

The seller signs in to Send Money and clicks the Print Label link for the transaction on the Payment Activity page.

The seller follows the instructions to print the label.

The USPS Pay@Delivery™ confirmation number the seller printed is added to the U.S. Postal Service database.

The seller affixes the label printed from Send Money! to the package being sent to the buyer.

The seller mails the package at a local Post Office.

Note:For the payment to process correctly, the package must be sent by Priority Mail.

When the package is delivered to the buyer, the postal carrier delivering the package scans the confirmation barcode which transmits the barcode information to the U.S. Postal Service Database.

The USPS Pay@Delivery™ confirmation file is received from the Postal Service.

The payment is sent to the seller's receiving payment account and a message is sent to the seller saying "You've got money."

Okay, this is what I found. NOW

How high can Priority Mail be insured? Can it be registered?

What happens if the buyer closes acct or has depleted the acct "by accident" during the shipping period? Who would know before the coin was mailed or received?

It seems to me that SPEED is only important to scammers. An honest buyer who can't get to a post office if he NEEDS fast shipment is suspect in my mind.

A seller who doesn't ship is guilty of mail fraud under ANY form of payment.

Paypal habitually freezes accounts for no known (or stated) reason.

When a Paypal account is frozen (just ask me) the Paypal seller gets to send a PHOTO of his driver's license, a COPY of his latest bank statement, and in MY case a LETTER from a bank officer stating he is who he is.

It was a load of manure. AND after getting it UNFROZEN ("restricted" is the stupid euphemism paypal uses) the seller (me) was STILL only allowed to draw $500 per MONTH from their rotten system.........UNLESS..........I authorized a FURTHER CHARGE of $1.95.............yep..........a buck ninety five.

So ....unless someone can convince me that this USPS offering has COMPLETE safeguards for sellers (who OWN the coins) I think maybe we ought to slow down a bit and go back to the thrilling days of yesteryear when VALUABLE COINS didn't leave their OWNERS until SECURE payment was received.

Should be no problem to any other than someone who is either running on a shoestring or looking for a larcenous opening to exploit.

ABSOLUTELY open to any other opinions or direction to find a better way.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I also was interested in this "new" way to pay for things. But I logged into my acct with USPS, and there was nothing in ANY link describing the ability to purchase money "orders" on-line. Send money---yes, as Johns post quotes from the USPS page. So there is no difference between being signed in or just visiting that gives you this extra benefit.

I found where you can buy money orders, but you still have to go to the PO to do so---nothing on-line.

Too bad. It REALLY would have been a neat idea that could work if USPS offered it. I looked high and low---maybe I missed it, but don't see how. confused-smiley-013.gif

David

How high can Priority Mail be insured? Can it be registered?

What happens if the buyer closes acct or has depleted the acct "by accident" during the shipping period? Who would know before the coin was mailed or received?

Yes Priority can be registered, Yo can insure for any amount but the maximum the Post Office will pay is $25,000. They will happily take the money for high amounts but will not pay out more. They claim that the additional money pays for more secure handling, not higher insurance.

It doesn't matter if the buyer closes his account or overdraws it during the shipping period. From he quote you posted:

The buyer schedules a payment using the Send Money payment service.

The payment is withdrawn from the buyer's payment account.

An email message is sent to the seller saying "We've got the money, ship the package."

The buyer "sends" the payment and the Post Office withdraws it from his account BEFORE they send you the message to ship the merchandise. So even if he closes the account while the coin is in transit, you still get paid by the Post Office since they already have the money.