• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is getting burned by this new e-bay system of feedback?

16 posts in this topic

I was shafted by two buyers in three transactions from my last round of e-bay sales. Luckily, they were fairly inexpensive coins.

The first was from a guy with zero feedback. I waited for 10 days before starting to bug the guy and then left "negative" positive feedback to the guy. He said he changed his mind. And, honest me, I sent all the coins out the day after the auction ended. Of course, he never received them.

The other was from an apparently stable couple. They bought two items and I didn't hear from them for 2 weeks when the guy's wife replied that he was in the hospital with a heart attack. Now, over two weeks later (he should be out by now), 30 days had passed w/o payment, so I left "negative" postive feedback.

I then get this e-mail from the would-be buyer:

Dear victor-easley,

your heartless, you write that about a man in the hospital dying

- pfaz9065

Item and user details

Item Title: Chain Cent Reproduction

Item Number: 290233522439

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290233522439

End Date: Jun-04-08 14:53:03 PDT

From User:

pfaz9065 (793)

doh!doh!doh!

I hope you filed the NPB with eBay. That is the ONLY way sellers can help protect each other. Not that it will really matter as eBay doesn't want individuals selling, they want companies using their site to sell.

As a buyer, I've gotten so fed up with eBay that I rarely use them any more. Yes, I continue to do business with a few dealers, but I try to arrange deals outside of eBay. I'm not talking about violating their ridiculous policies, but if a seller has something they think I might like, they will give me first shot before listing it.

Chris

I had a situation where a person bought 2 different items and then claimed they only received only 1 item. It was a $100 transaction in all. I double checked my inventory and the item in question was not there. According to my records (and a search of the shipping area) it was shipped and they would not answer my question as to what item they did not receive. I checked FB for some reason and they had posted positive FB saying they received both items. I could not believe my lucky stars! I then told them to buzz off and them blocked them as a bidder. This is the first time someone pulled this screwball stunt on me and I certainly blame it on the new ebay FB system. Had I been able to, I would have negged them.

Expect a lot of screwball stuff like this as certain types of buyers may try to hold neg FB over you without fear of when it is your turn. As a seller, I believe I should have a right to neg someone if they have the ability to neg me. Ebay buyers have enough protection as it is without this new policy.

There are a lot of screwball people on ebay and before the new FB policy as a seller you had a stick to keep them at bay (the possibility of being negged in return). Now you don't have that.

They only recourse you have as a seller is lol neg positive feedback. If doing this, be sure to recommend other sellers block this individual.

I have been selling more than usually and have not noticed a problem in the feedback. I always contact the buyer when it ships and if they have any problems please contact me first. I also blocked anyone with less than 10 feedbacks to bid on my items...I am sick on new people that never seem to pay!!

Well, I only have sold one items since the feedback change, and that was only because eBay sent an offer of 5 free listings (and I only found one item to list!). Of course then I got an invoice today with the $2 fee for that listing (of course they are supposed to credit it back but what a pain!).

I was shafted by two buyers in three transactions from my last round of e-bay sales. Luckily, they were fairly inexpensive coins.

The first was from a guy with zero feedback. I waited for 10 days before starting to bug the guy and then left "negative" positive feedback to the guy. He said he changed his mind. And, honest me, I sent all the coins out the day after the auction ended. Of course, he never received them.

The other was from an apparently stable couple. They bought two items and I didn't hear from them for 2 weeks when the guy's wife replied that he was in the hospital with a heart attack. Now, over two weeks later (he should be out by now), 30 days had passed w/o payment, so I left "negative" postive feedback.

I then get this e-mail from the would-be buyer:

Dear victor-easley,

your heartless, you write that about a man in the hospital dying

- pfaz9065

Item and user details

Item Title: Chain Cent Reproduction

Item Number: 290233522439

Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290233522439

End Date: Jun-04-08 14:53:03 PDT

From User:

pfaz9065 (793)

doh!doh!doh!

I have always paid for my Ebay purchases within an hour of purchasing the item and as far as I'm concerned pay for what you buy but this was a $3 purchase from a guy with 1381 positive feedbacks and 1 neg. Most of his feedback states fast payment and his recent feedback is no different. Unless this buyer was inhabited by an alien from space, he probably was sick and the last thing on his mind was a small purchase. I think you should have just forgotten about this sale.

dave

It was two purchases that totaled over $30. This is the response that I sent.

I waited for one full month for payment. With such extensive feedback, you know the rules. You even said that you'd send the payment off which I never received. No, I'm not heartless. I couldn't do my job as an x-ray tech if I were. My patience just wore out since you were the second buyer to burn me on this group of coins. You must admit that waiting for one month for payment was generous on my part. Like I said though, you can keep the money and keep the coins that I sent out the day after the auction.

Sincerely,

Victor

It was two purchases that totaled over $30. This is the response that I sent.

I waited for one full month for payment. With such extensive feedback, you know the rules. You even said that you'd send the payment off which I never received. No, I'm not heartless. I couldn't do my job as an x-ray tech if I were. My patience just wore out since you were the second buyer to burn me on this group of coins. You must admit that waiting for one month for payment was generous on my part. Like I said though, you can keep the money and keep the coins that I sent out the day after the auction.

Sincerely,

Victor

Something wrong with some people out there. So far I've had only one fool give me a negative. He said my pictures made a $20 coin look like a $30 coin. That's what he paid, $30. It was a borderline Unc 80 S PL Morgan. I even offered a refund twice.Never heard from him again.

i havnt sold a thing on ebay since my last envoice was half of what i made for 30 days. they pull valid items before they pull a fake.the feedback system just isnt a fair system anymore. and with all the court stuff going on we will be made to pay more cause they will have to pay more.

Victor... I found the feedback of the person you are talking about. It seems that whomever is using the site is active and has been active, according to the feedback left. Just ignore it and move on.

As for the buyers on eBay... I don't know if it is me or I'm just lucky but I don't seem to have as many problems as some report here. Since the feedback changes, I have had no problems. I've sold some MS70 Silver Eagles and some nice MS64-65 Morgans with no problems. Granted, most of what I have now are slabbed coins from the 70s (I'm selling off my Ike collection and related collection), but those that are buying have been good purchasers.

The only problem I am having is that since the ANACS/ICG bru-ha-ha started in December, I have not been able to sell any ANACS or ICG slabs. Usually I can sell them at a little discount to NGC and PCGS slabs... but they would sell. Now, ANACS and ICG slabs are not selling. I may have to wait until the economy picks up to sell these.

Scott :hi:

i havnt sold a thing on ebay since my last envoice was half of what i made for 30 days. they pull valid items before they pull a fake.the feedback system just isnt a fair system anymore. and with all the court stuff going on we will be made to pay more cause they will have to pay more.

I haven't been buying much on E Bay lately because I am only looking for certain coins and don't bid unless they appear. When I am successful I have had no problems with the Sellers and they have been excellent. I do not expect the Seller to send me the item until I have paid.When I receive the item I give feedback.

I give feedback according to how the Seller/s perform which in my case has been excellent.I also give it as a means to show that I have recieved the item/s

Here is the problem as I see it and which has only been worse by E Bay. Several months ago I had a few isolated problems . One Seller did not accept Pay Pal and notified me that he had received the Payment and 10 days later filed an unpaid claim on me. His excuse ws that he did not log it in properly. I Emailed another when I had not received anything after 8 days. His excuse was that he had mixed it up with another shipment and it had sat there for at least five days and he proceeded to insult me and became very defensive about his problem.

There have been a few others. Ebay refused to reverse the unpaid claim and said that the matter was settled since he had sent the coin. I gave him feedback onlt that he had acknowledged payment and still filed an unpaid calim and he retaliated. The other siad that if I gave him negative feedback that he would retaliate.

The present situation is no doubt E Bays response because of situations like this and the possible threat of losing Buyers .Instead of suspending or eliminating these Sellers or reversing bad moves and retaliatory measures by these Sellers they have chosen to retain them because they do generate sales.

Unfortunately there are going to be Buyers who take advantage of the situation.They are just like the people who pay off their Car Payments and Home Mortgages first and make the Utility Companies wait because they have done so in the Past. They are the same people who write bad checks to Merchants and make them wait .

I had a situation when I was a Manager in Retail . A guy wrote a bad check . He was sent a Registered letter by the Company and received it and refused to respond.After thirty days it was turned over to my Store where it was written and approved by another person. I contacted the person and was told they would take care of it and it never happened. I just got tired and turned it over to the State Attorneys office . A week later his wife called up raising Hell with me because he had been put in Jail and it was my fault that he had been arrested.Some people just refuse to take responsibilty for their actions.

I expect problems - I am selling raw coin out of my Danscos - All I can do is offer a return if they are not happy.

I also DO not leave feedback until they do ... I think it motivates them one way or the other ... still at 100% :acclaim:

I seem to be surviving; I'm certainly not having the problems you are. I'm not getting the PowerSeller discount though. It looks like people think I charge too much for shipping.

One fellow was shocked to learn he had to pay California sales tax. I guess he didn't read my terms and conditions, otherwise known as the fine print.

I expect problems - I am selling raw coin out of my Danscos - All I can do is offer a return if they are not happy.

I also DO not leave feedback until they do ... I think it motivates them one way or the other ... still at 100% :acclaim:

I gave up on buying Raw Coins such as Morgans. Many were not as good as the pictures and some were "cleaned" When asked one seller whether a coin had been cleaned I recived such replies as " They are old Coins and at one time or another have probably been cleaned ".Another replied tha they hadn't been cleaned since they were in his possession but didn't know about the people from whom he bought them". Another claimed that two other people besides himself examined them under a 10x Magnification and between them they hqd 35 years experience and none were cleaned"Turned out to be B.S.

Just isn't worth the hassle so I turned to Modern Coins such as Commemoratives etc.If sales are down in these areas for these Sellers then they have nobody to blame but themselves.