• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

27 posts in this topic

Let's suppose that you acquired a $1,000 sealed bag of Morgan silver dollars which came from the Treasury release of the early 60's. There is no question about it's authenticity, and it has never been opened or searched.

What is the first thing you would do? What is the last thing you would do? And please, no Polish jokes about wrapping the entire bag in Taco Bell napkins and putting it on the window sill.

Chris

Let's suppose that you acquired a $1,000 sealed bag of Morgan silver dollars which came from the Treasury release of the early 60's. There is no question about it's authenticity, and it has never been opened or searched.

What is the first thing you would do? What is the last thing you would do? And please, no Polish jokes about wrapping the entire bag in Taco Bell napkins and putting it on the window sill.

Chris

The first thing I would do would be to find out how much I could get for it. The last thing I would do would be to keep it.

Chris

The first thing I would do would be to find out how much I could get for it. The last thing I would do would be to keep it.

In that case, let's further assume that you paid a substantial premium, and it would be unlikely that you could sell it (unopened) for more than you paid. Now what?

Chris

Chris

In that case, let's further assume that you paid a substantial premium, and it would be unlikely that you could sell it (unopened) for more than you paid. Now what?

Chris

Bad move on your part I would say.

first thing id do: open it

last thing id do: not open it

and if you paid a premium thats even more reason to open and see what the investment will turn into.

the first thing that I would do is SEARCH FOR VAMS!!!

the second thing i would do (depending on what i found) is sell the vams that i hoped to have found! :applause:

Chris

Chris

You would only pay a premium for it based on the gamble that there could be some high grade or nicely toned coins in it. Therefore, you either need to open it or to sell it to someone who values that gamble more.

Personally, I'd open it, AT all the coins to insane colors, give it a cool name like the Iron Rock River collection, and send it to a TPG to pedigree. Then I could sell them to suckers for insane premiums.

Almost forgot to add, I'd then take pictures of the coins and turn the contrast and color balance way up so they look cartoonish. I'd then swear that the coins look like this in hand.

First: document it all with photos! Lots of photos with the bag sealed.

If you have the time ONLY then open the bag and search for VAMs that are actually worth a premium and high grade examples. This is your ace in the hole--you can grade Morgans!

Plus, you'll have the thrill of opening a fresh bag that very few people have had the pleasure of doing for the past few decades.

Chris

Chris

Bad move on your part I would say.

So, I suppose by that you mean that if it is raining, you don't use an umbrella. You just complain about the rain. This is supposed to be for fun. Are you this negative at Xmas?

Chris

Chris

You would only pay a premium for it based on the gamble that there could be some high grade or nicely toned coins in it. Therefore, you either need to open it or to sell it to someone who values that gamble more.

Personally, I'd open it, AT all the coins to insane colors, give it a cool name like the Iron Rock River collection, and send it to a TPG to pedigree. Then I could sell them to suckers for insane premiums.

Almost forgot to add, I'd then take pictures of the coins and turn the contrast and color balance way up so they look cartoonish. I'd then swear that the coins look like this in hand.

:roflmao:

I don't collect morgans. But I would go and educate myself, ask for some help from all you guys, and from some dealer/collectors....and then sell ever last one of 'em and go and get me a big TV to help stimulate the economy!!

First, buy a pair of new white gloves

Second, call in sick for the week

Third, find a case of Red Bull

Forth, institute marshal law in my house

Last, live in Numismatic Bliss for a week.

I would wait until I had a week off from work. Then I would go to the grocery store, stock up for a week, and throw myself a weeklong party. I have enough fun opening a roll or two of quarters fresh from the bank, I can only imagine how much fun an original bag would be. :)

Chris

Chris

:roflmao:

beerbang.gif

I would take a week or two off of work and take my time looking through the bag, detailing every coin with photos and looking for VAM's. Then I would contact NGC or PCGS to see what type of pedigree I could get for these and submit them for grading and then sell them on Heritage, Ebay or some other auction house.

Chris

First thing I would do(if I were you)is invite me to be there for the grand opening. Then call the press and charge them for the story and/or pictures.Nah.Maybe not. I doubt there are many of those sealed bags left to open. You should be able to drum up interest.

Wait..................

And wait some more.

That sealed bag is almost as good as land.

Time will increase its value and rarity.

So, I suppose by that you mean that if it is raining, you don't use an umbrella. You just complain about the rain.

Haven't used a raincoat or umbrella since I was ten. If it rains I get wet.

This is supposed to be for fun. Are you this negative at Xmas?

Nope, even more negative. I'm the company Scrooge.

Wait..................

And wait some more.

That sealed bag is almost as good as land.

Time will increase its value and rarity.

Time will increase the rarity of sealed bags, as more are opened. However, their value is generally dependent upon the date and quality of their contents, or at least speculation thereof, until they are opened. And it is not a given that the value will increase from current levels.

Keep in mind that MS65 common date Morgan Dollars traded briefly in the $800 range (and MS64's in the $400 range) roughly 20 years ago and sell for "somewhat less" today. ;)

So, I suppose by that you mean that if it is raining, you don't use an umbrella. You just complain about the rain.

Haven't used a raincoat or umbrella since I was ten. If it rains I get wet.

This is supposed to be for fun. Are you this negative at Xmas?

Nope, even more negative. I'm the company Scrooge.

Soggy socks! lol lol lol

Chris :hi:

Well, I don't have a bag.......honestly! I was just wondering what some of you would do under these circumstances. Searching for VAM's was expected, of course, and a few of you were more concerned with flipping the bag or keeping it for awhile for a profit. What surprised me is that no one even suggested searching for the more valuable date/mm specimens. What about the 84S, 89CC, 93S etc? There are also numerous date/mm specimens that are valued at 4-digit and low 5-digit price tags. While some of you wanted to be around for the "Grand Opening", no one mentioned any specific coins.

However, I must admit that I got the biggest kick from Greg's response.

Thanks!

Chris