• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS Conservation of the Month (June 08)

17 posts in this topic

After the thorough bashing ATS, it would have been fun to pust the after as a blind "guess the grade". I bet the comments would have been much more positive. --Jerry

The coin probably wasn't dipped, but conserved with other chemicals. It's not bright white and it has a number of faint dark areas remaining, like you would see if treated with other chemicals. Also, the description says it still looks "natural." That's a stretch, and I don't like the coin before or after, but I'm guessing it wasn't actually dipped.

It went from very ugly to just plain unappealing, in my eyes. An improvement, for sure, but not something to write home about, to me. Frankly, I find it odd that they would choose this as the example.....Mike

It looks to me that NCS did as good as they could with what was sent to them. Would anyone think they would be able to make the coin a gem? Also the coin looks Unc. to me. 1923-S's can get pricey in AU and better. Also early Walkers don't look like 1940's walkers either. The piece is also an "S" mint of which just about everything coming out of the S.F. mint in the '20's was weakly struck.

Maybe my vision is getting worse, but it looks like doubling on HALF DOLLAR, the designer's initials, the eagles left leg feathers and the left wing and feathers. I can't be sure if it is machine doubling, but the "F" in HALF doesn't look like machine doubling.

Chris

I see it in the after pic, but not the before. Probably an illusion.

I increased the "before" image 400%, but there is so much crud around the letters that it is impossible for me to tell.

In any event, I don't llike the way the coin looked "before", and I definitely wouldn't want it "after".

Chris