• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just found this on eBay i dont have the money.. fancy a bid ?

26 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does this set display an unusually small amount of toning? Most of thee early mint sets have fairly strong toning to the coins.

One of the problems with a set of coins like this is that you can't see enough to grade them. These sets can be a source for high grade modern coins that get slabbed, and for that reason one piece could worth as much as all the rest put together.

The set has an original look to it. My guess would be a max of $1,500 to $1.800, but my price estimates always seem to be on the low side these days. (shrug)

Some of these sets do have a lot of toning, but I've seen sets where the coins looked very much like this one.

Many years ago I bought an orginal group of five 1954 double mint sets that had never been opened. When I did open them the coins inside had some toning, but they were not dark. The were a bit like the coins in this set. A dealer I knew who was an expert on modern coins vouched that the sets were totally original and he backed up his opinion by buying a couple of the sets at a strong price.

I still have have one of them, and on another day when I have more time, I'll post pictures. I know what you mean, Condor, but not all of these coins are toned dark, and far from all of the coins are choice and have beautiful toning.

I examined a few original 1947 sets last month. The dealer was asking $1200 for them. Very nice original coins with pink and purple speckles and higher grades!

Sorry, but I think that the purple and especially the pink spots were the reason the dealer was only asking $1,200 for the set. Pink is not a color you want to see on naturally toned bronze, copper-nickel or silver coins.

Sorry, but I think that the purple and especially the pink spots were the reason the dealer was only asking $1,200 for the set. Pink is not a color you want to see on naturally toned bronze, copper-nickel or silver coins.

What's wrong with pink? I know pinkish colors on bronze and copper is bad, it indicates that its been stripped (right?), but pink on silver would just seem to me to be another color in the rainbow.

This guys pictures aren't all that great. I think that he could have done better if he would have spent a little more time with them.

Paul

What's wrong with pink? I know pinkish colors on bronze and copper is bad, it indicates that its been stripped (right?), but pink on silver would just seem to me to be another color in the rainbow.

Pink and red can be a major sign of trouble. You would be surprised at what you can fry up in a nice hot pan with a couple eggs. hm

The primary toned slver colors are blue, gold and gray. Those colors can be indicators of tampering too (in fact any color deserves a closer look), but reds and pinks are more suspect.

Pink and red can be a major sign of trouble. You would be surprised at what you can fry up in a nice hot pan with a couple eggs. hm

The primary toned slver colors are blue, gold and gray. Those colors can be indicators of tampering too (in fact any color deserves a closer look), but reds and pinks are more suspect.

Reds and pinks are perfectly acceptable colors for silver. Reds are actually rather "common" for certain date/mm's, for example 1958-D. I would be a LOT more careful with pink, but it certainly does exist in NT form.

As to the above mentioned set, I've been tracking 1947 mint sets for the last month or two on eBay and someone got a screaming deal on one set of relatively nicely toned coins for ~$870 (I was starting up using Paypal and was having issues with my credit limit so I couldn't bid... pissed me off). Having said that, you're probably looking at around $1,100 - $1,200 for this set.

As to the originality, well they probably are real, but you never know. Here's a set that IMO shows more worrisome aspects of being tampered with.

Replacements?

Obviously I can't say for certain that these coins have been replaced, but look how white the silver coins look, and then notice that the "blow-up" images show only the cents and nickels.

One thing that has me a little concerned about the 1947 is that all the coins are position just right, very seldom due the coins come with them all positioned the same. This looks as if someone has removed them and placed them back in the holders. Could be original coins or could be replacement coins.

physics-fan 3.14------ FWIW, I have a 1960 set that has a pink quarter and a really pink Ben Franklin. They are the very same color as the pink slip from the mint. When I bought the grouping of sets, I only looked at the sets that had been opened by their original owner. Some sets have never been opened.

Anyway, it is a very pretty 'pastel' pink. I had NEVER seen one like it before. Definitely NOT AT. Bob [supertooth]

The sets i looked at were 1000% original and unmessed-with. They had soft pink and and blue speckles that were completely natural and very appealing. Pink is very common on mint set coins, too.

One thing that has me a little concerned about the 1947 is that all the coins are position just right, very seldom due the coins come with them all positioned the same. This looks as if someone has removed them and placed them back in the holders. Could be original coins or could be replacement coins.

If that is the case, it could just as easily have been done by a collector who wanted them all lined up.

yeah I seen that. Alot of the toned coins he sells have a different look to them. Don't look AT, but like the storage method toned like this. But I don't know about this set. That walker does look a bit "off"

Here's the obv. I still need to re-image both. My white balance was off on these pics. I still need to get slabbed and I couldn't part with just yet.

2.jpg

Do you honestly think that the coins in these sets have never been removed from the cardboard holders to inspect the other side? It only makes sense to look at the major coins in the set from both sides, and when you put them back having them with the right rotation makes some sense. I think you are being a bit paranoid here.

For those who are familiar with these sets, the holders are like the inexpensive Whitman “penny boards” that allow you to see only one side of the coins. That was the reason why these were issued as double sets. It allowed the collector to see both sides of the coin designs at glance without removing the coins.

These sets are not like the flat pack Proof sets. Each coin can be removed and inspected, and of concern, replaced with another piece.