• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Normally, my feeling would be that this isn't anyone's business, but...

28 posts in this topic

Not too long ago, I posted to a thread, stating, that under the circumstances, I wouldn't sell a particular coin to a certain person. Subsequent to that, however, I had a number of correspondences with the potential buyer and had a change of heart, based on his remarks and attitude.

I told him that I still suggested he not buy the coin, but that I would set it aside, asked that he think about it for a minimum of two weeks, and that if he was sure he wanted it, I would sell it to him. A transaction has not taken place and I don't know if it ever will. But I am posting this here for two reasons: 1) I feel that after publicly saying I would not sell the coin, it would be wrong not to let people know I had changed my mind; 2) I had stated that I would not post again to the thread in question.

My apologies for being somewhat vague, but I figure that those who were aware of the other thread will know what I'm talking about anyway, and I might be sparing those who weren't aware of the other thread. ;)

Even if the coin in question is sold to the prospective buyer and that buyer later begins threads questioning the coins grade or authenticity. I'm sure everyone would understand and have no misgivings about the seller...

Mark, you don't need our blessings to change your mind. Just make sure that you have all the bases covered.

Chris

I thought the potential buyer quit the hobby or was that just a ploy to get attention. What I don't understand is why the buyer wants that particular coin. I personally have never found that design very appealing. I would rather have a gem saint.

This individual's quitting the hobby lasted for two hours before he posted ATS, trying to buy the same denomination gold coin from another dealer over there. I feel that Mark has gone above and beyond being fair about a transaction which he certainly had no obligation to follow through on and hope that this all ends well for him.

Mark, if I was not so deeply in the hole presently in my stock market investments, I would buy the coin from you myself, just I feel it because it would be the right thing to help you out. Plus, I would love to own another one of these coins.

Oldtrader3's comment about posting ATS is correct. I don't think that you owe your prospective customer anything, given his behavior.

Sometimes the best customer is one that simply goes away (or is told to do so).

Oldtrader3's comment about posting ATS is correct. I don't think that you owe your prospective customer anything, given his behavior.

Sometimes the best customer is one that simply goes away (or is told to do so).

Oh God, let's not start that argument again.

Mark, you know the situation best, having conversed with him quite a bit, apparently. We all know what a stand up guy you are, and we are all somewhat aware of this buyers tendencies. I think he's a little out of control, and probably needs to re-evaluate both his collecting habits and other aspects of his life, but if you think its best to sell him the coin, then we trust your judgement. This is probably actually for the better, because if he doesn't buy this one from you (which we all know and agree is a very fine specimen), then he will almost certainly buy one from someone else that won't be nearly as nice, and he'll probably get ripped off in the process.

If he does decide to buy the coin and ends up trading you 83 other worthless gold coins and some rabbits, please let us know. I want to start a forum pool as to when the train wreck will occur.

If he does decide to buy the coin and ends up trading you 83 other worthless gold coins and some rabbits, please let us know. I want to start a forum pool as to when the train wreck will occur.

lol rabbits :applause:

Mark, I think you have a right to change your mind, and no explanation is necessary.

Furthermore, and this is not directed at Mark, I think many of us could be better at accepting the shortcomings of others.

Most boardmembers are very long-suffering but there comes a time when a kid doesn't need to be cuddled anymore. Heck, Charlie and I both have been on our own since 17 w/o outside help. We never had the luxury of such pampering.

Are you pampered, Mike? ;)

Mark, I think you have a right to change your mind, and no explanation is necessary.

Furthermore, and this is not directed at Mark, I think many of us could be better at accepting the shortcomings of others.

:makepoint: (thumbs u (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u (thumbs u :makepoint:

:makepoint: (thumbs u (thumbs u :applause: (thumbs u (thumbs u :makepoint:

also be more considerate and understanding

with persons who are young/need guidence

I don't disagree, Michael, but a firm hand sometimes provides the best guidance . . . out of kindness, of course, not from a mean spirit.

also be more considerate and understanding

with persons who are young/need guidence

I don't disagree, Michael, but a firm hand sometimes provides the best guidance . . . out of kindness, of course, not from a mean spirit.

:thumbsup: x 20

The young collector who is involved in this situation is enthusiastic and in this case got emotional over the issue. I wrote a couple of PMs to him and tried to put things into perspective. There are darn few coins that are irreplaceable, and other examples will come on the market. I told him of my frustrations when I was a young collector when I saw what the “old guys” owned. I learned over time that if I was patient and dedicated that I could build a collection as nice and as strong as what those fellows had. It does take time, patience, money, dedication and study, but it can be done.

I think that offered the coin to him is a good thing. If he buys it, that’s great. But if he passes I think from the PMs that received from him that he has learned a lesson.

Mark, frankly, I was a bit surprised that you publicly stated that you would not sell him the coin. While this is certainly your right, I think it put you an SCM in a bit of a bind.

Whether or not you sell him the coin is really not the concern of the forum, just like his thread was ill-conceived. if he was interested in buying the coin, he should contact you, not post about it in the forum.

Mark, I believe your were right the first time around, but surprisingly, I also believe you're correct with your followup assessment and the way you handled it (both times).

Mark, I believe your were right the first time around, but surprisingly, I also believe you're correct with your followup assessment and the way you handled it (both times).

Thanks Pat, I appreciate that. I'm not sure if I'm right or not, but either way, I'm trying to help instill some discipline, patience and learning. So, there is more upside than downside as far as I'm concerned.

Mark,

As far as I am concerned, this incident just puts another feather in your cap(or maybe I should say headdress). Most any honorable seller would have just told him to not waste both their times, but you, as is usual, went out of your way to instill some instance of organization, stability, and adulthood in his methods of dealing with himself, his peers and his life in general. Great job.

Jim

s

Gee Mark I don't know what to think ,I just don't know, could somebody help me decide what to think God I don't know ! First you said you wouldn't then you said wait 2 week and you would i DON'T KNOW help me help me what do I do now . Who think's he should wait

and WHY -know -now who thinks he shouldn't have waited lets take a poll know should the majority rule or the miniority rule somebody decide then tell me what to do and when every last person in the world give their input I'll just do what i wanted anyway

This is the second time I have read this thread, simply to confirm what I thought I read originally, and words escape me, but this image comes close-

Gall%20Province%20(Hikkaduwa)%20Train%20Wreck%20%2002.jpg

This is the second time I have read this thread, simply to confirm what I thought I read originally, and words escape me, but this image comes close-

Gall%20Province%20(Hikkaduwa)%20Train%20Wreck%20%2002.jpg

Tom, at least it looks like a nice/picturesque location for a train wreck if one is going to occur. :D

;)

That could be a new TV series: "The Lost Survivors of the Last Ocean Front Train Wreck" or something similiar.

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

CopyofFlagwaving3.jpg