• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin you wished you owned!

55 posts in this topic

Please post a photo of a coin that you wished you owned. It can be a coin you can't afford, one you regrettably passed on, or a coin you regret having sold etc. This should be a lot of fun.

I will start with a toned 1923-D St. Gaudens Double Eagle PCGS MS65 OGH that I was contemplating buying about a year ago from Anaconda. When I finally decided to make an offer on the coin which had a price tag of over 3X bid, the coin was gone. As a toning aficionado, it pains me every time I look at this photo and realize that I don't own it. (Photo courtesy of Anaconda Rare Coins)

Picture1565.jpg

I'll second saen78's reply!

I would love to own a deep cameo'd, high-grade Morgan proof. 1895 would be cherry! <3

1856 Proof 63 Fliying Eagle Cent. It was the best I could find tonight. Although,I saw one example that was golden. I think it was a 65.

61175-56FE.JPG.0adc5c34c41506e515144bffc00fcd64.JPG

Your toned Half Dollar:

FranklinHalfDollar1963AT.jpg

I know you are joking, but it actually looks better than it did when I first got it. It used to be pink instead of blue.

Picture897.jpgPicture898.jpg

Your toned Half Dollar:

FranklinHalfDollar1963AT.jpg

I know you are joking, but it actually looks better than it did when I first got it. It used to be pink instead of blue.

Picture897.jpgPicture898.jpg

Not joking at all. Its a very cool coin.

Please post a photo of a coin that you wished you owned. It can be a coin you can't afford, one you regrettably passed on, or a coin you regret having sold etc. This should be a lot of fun.

I will start with a toned 1923-D St. Gaudens Double Eagle PCGS MS65 OGH that I was contemplating buying about a year ago from Anaconda. When I finally decided to make an offer on the coin which had a price tag of over 3X bid, the coin was gone. As a toning aficionado, it pains me every time I look at this photo and realize that I don't own it. (Photo courtesy of Anaconda Rare Coins)

Picture1565.jpg

:makepoint:AT (tsk):sick:

I agree with Michael. That Saint is AT and the colors are totally unnatural for a Saint. PCGS blew it big time when they slabbed this coin.

Picture1565.jpg

:makepoint:AT (tsk):sick:

If there is a coin doctor out there that has perfected his art to be able to artificially tone gem state saints to look like this, then I only have one thing to say. Make one for me please. This coin is awesome. I don't know how it came to look like this (NT vs AT) and I really don't care. Is there a huge market for rainbow toned gold? If not, why would a coin doctor experiment on a gem state example? Please remember that I really don't care about the origin of the toning, I am just playing devil's advocate. One of my pet peeves is people who call out AT without providing an explanation for their opinion. And let's be fair, nobody here knows the history of this coin and nobody can say for sure whether the coin is AT or NT without knowing the complete history of the coin where it has been and under what conditions since 1923.

Here is what would make me really happy. Everyone on this board spreads the word that this coin is AT in every coin venue in the world until the owner becomes aware that it is AT and dumps it off to me for BID price.

Here is a less controversial issue that I will always want and probably never have. Images courtesy of Heritage

50PanObverse.jpg50PanReverse.jpg

This is going to sound harsh, so I apologize in advance....

Is there a huge market for rainbow toned gold? If not, why would a coin doctor experiment on a gem state example?

Because there are suckers like you to buy them and because there are sellers who either look the other way or don't know any better to sell them.

Respectfully but bluntly yours...Mike (who has made similar mistakes in the past)

Picture1565.jpg

Be glad you didn't buy it. It's been suggested by several long-time collectors of the series to be AT. [edited to add: I see others have pointed out the same thing]

Here's one I wish I owned:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=349&Lot_No=6009#

I have wondered about that Saint. I'm not convinced its AT, nor am I convinced its NT.

- Possibly the copper didn't mix well at the mint and alot of the copper settled on the reverse's surface and then the coin was stored in pristine conditions for the toning to occur? Or a wealthy masterminded chemist took a chance on doctoring this example and produced what you see?

- Besides the point the coin has amazing eye appeal, and however the toning got there its beautiful to me. And I haven't ever seen another Saint toned like this, which is strange if the coin was doctored because if I made the toning on this coin I think I would have turned out at least a few more of them to make alot of $$$.

Or just a freak of natural with the copper residing on the surfaces of the coin and the perfect storm for creating the toning? You decide, but I would love to own it. :headbang:

And I haven't ever seen another Saint toned like this, which is strange if the coin was doctored because if I made the toning on this coin I think I would have turned out at least a few more of them to make alot of $$$.

Couldn't that same argument be made for why it's AT? You'd think if there were other naturally toned coins like this they would have come to market.

Personally, I'd take the word of several advanced collectors of the series over those who are trying to rationalize NT for a one-of-a-kind specimen....Mike

Yes, it could go both ways. Which is strange. It should be one or the other, meaning there should be more examples like this either if they're AT or NT. Not just ONE! (shrug)

So there must be other Saints toned similar to this?? I know this is off topic but does anyone have pics of one similar?

So there must be other Saints toned similar to this?? I know this is off topic but does anyone have pics of one similar?

I'm anything but an expert, but I've never seen anything close.

This is going to sound harsh, so I apologize in advance....

Is there a huge market for rainbow toned gold? If not, why would a coin doctor experiment on a gem state example?

Because there are suckers like you to buy them and because there are sellers who either look the other way or don't know any better to sell them.

Respectfully but bluntly yours...Mike (who has made similar mistakes in the past)

That was actually more amusing than insulting. However, I am not a sucker. A sucker is someone who doesn't know any better. I have a degree in metallurgy with a primary focus on corrosion, so I do know better.

With respect, your answer to my rhetorical question stinks. Gold coins are 90% gold and 10% copper. Getting a gold coin to tone intentionally would be extraordinarily difficult with predictable results and not worth the risk to a coin doctor, especially with a gem state example. Furthermore, since toning on gold coins is so rare, the production of numerous examples would immediately raise suspicion making it even more likely that a coin doctor would not take the risk.

Like I said before, I don't know how this coin developed this toning pattern (AT or NT) and I really don't care, because I think it is a beautiful coin either way. The key is that you don't know either, but have decided without any factual evidence to support your opinion that this coin is 100% AT and anyone who would sell or purchase such a coin is committing some kind of numismatic crime.

We know only one thing for sure, that this coin has undergone an oxidation process that resulted in a beautiful appearance sometime between 1923 and 2008. We don't know under what conditions the coin has been stored or what someone has intentionally done to this coin during that time period. Until we do, we can't say definitively that the coin is AT or NT. But that is really not my point. My point is that I love this coin and would love to own it. It does not scare me that others like yourself have deemed the coin AT and would not touch it with a ten foot pole. As long as the coin in question (no pun intended) is in an NGC or PCGS holder that guarantees that I will be able to sell the coin in the future, I don't care about the origin of the toning as long as I find it to be beautiful.

In closing, I would like to offer you a wonderful questionably toned SMS Kennedy Half Dollar for your viewing pleasure. Have a great day Mike.

Picture938.jpg