• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONECA - Errorscope Magazine - New IKE Discovered!

9 posts in this topic

Has anybody seen the latest issue of the Errorscope magazine?

That's my IKE on the cover!

CONECAPrototypeMag-01W.jpg

The magazine is published bimonthly for CONECA members but specific back issues can be purchased on line at the CONECA Web Site for a minimal charge.

The mag has everything you every wanted to know about error coinage with some very good topics and great insights. The December 1999 isuue was the one that announced the discovery of the 1971-D RDV-006.

The coin on the cover represents a never before seen Obverse Die Variety and a never before seen Reverse Die Variety. It is currently being evaluated by some experts in the field after having been heavily examined and documented by The IKE Group. I've shown the coin picture several times on these forums but have never garnered any questions about it.

1971-SType1ProofCoin.jpg

If you look closely, you'll spot the difference almost immediately but as with any IKEs out there, very few actually get looked at which is how I came upon this remarkable coin!

So that's yours, huh? Great find! I read the article, but I haven't found the time to pull out all of mine and check them. Should I be checking the Blue Ikes as well?

Chris

I can feel your excitement! Cool!

It kind of looks like a "smiling eagle" variety to me. :grin:

So that's yours, huh? Great find! I read the article, but I haven't found the time to pull out all of mine and check them. Should I be checking the Blue Ikes as well?

Chris

I doubt that this one was in a blue pack since those coins were all shipped to the packaging facility in $1,000 bags which accounts for their terrible quality.

However, every IKE is worth checking in my opinion as the series has never been really explored until recently! And I mean REALLY explored.

I can feel your excitement! Cool!

It kind of looks like a "smiling eagle" variety to me. :grin:

It is a smiling eagle.

Ok I'm not an Ike Collector. Can you point out what the difference is from this and any other Ike? Thanks!

Well, first off, the coin is definitely a proof. Secondly, it's a proof with obverse and reverse die varieties that have never been documented. Thirdly, this proof "design" never made it to production since all the 1971-S proofs are of the Cameo/deep mirrored varieties. However, some of the design did make it into the production design.

The coin does not exhibit deep mirroring which was typical of proofs of the era. It also lacks the cameo typically seen on proof IKE coins. Any cameo that does appear on the coin is very crude. (Possibly experimentation for consistent cameo production?) The coin is totally devoid of scratching or bag marks which is characteristic of a coin that has received some type of special handling. If you recall, the business strike 40% IKE's were shipped in $1,000 bags to the packaging facility which is the primary reason only one coin for the 1971-S Business Strike coins grades higher than MS67. Of course, that is all speculation on my part given the appearance of the coin. However, I can state without doubt that this coin has never seen a bag.

As for the variety, look closely at the L in Liberty. The top of the L in LIBERTY has no serifs and actually fades into the background. Die abraded varieties fade from the bottom of the letter up like the pegleg IKE's. Many of the heavily abraded proof peglegs show very weak bottoms on the "E's" next to the pegleg "R's".

1971-SType0ObvLIBERTYL.jpgDSC04909L.jpg

Although this is coin appears to be a 1971-S business strike, it is in fact a proof coin which is distinguishable by the sharp characteristics of the devices. The rim is extremely sharp. The earth on the reverse more closely resembles Gasparro's original Galvano than what was selected for the production version. The earth on this coin has a crude cameo appearance but you can distinguish islands off the coast of Florida which do not resemble the typical Type 1 or Type 2 Islands. The shape of the Gulf of Mexico is almost identical to the FEV Gulf while the shape of Florida resembles neither the type 1 of type 2 Florida. (BTW, the Eagle is of the Friendly Variety!)

1971-SType0RevEarth.jpg

T1-T2-T3-T6EarthLabeled-D.jpg

The coin is a nice DDO which can clearly be seen in the motto but the lettering in the motto is of a lighter style than any others produced. Notice how the G in GOD does not have a serif? And there is no indication of die abrasion that would have removed the serif. I've shown a Proof G and a Business Strike G for comparisons.

DSCN6103W.jpgDSC04910.jpgDSC04911.jpg

Lastly, IKE's hair is a different configuration than any of the other recognized varieties. Mainly toward the front of the hair. The prototype is on the left followed by a 1971-S BS and a 1971-S Proof.

02-Hair-02D.jpg

Where this particular coin fits into the developmental process for selecting a design that would work in the manufacturing process is unknown to me but speculation is that it was very early in the "design" phase given the fact that some of the design elements were incorporated into the final approved designs.

This coin is neither a Business Strike nor a Cameo'ed Proof and displays completely different Obverse and Reverse die varieties which have been validated and verified by a leading expert in the field. Since documentation from the mint during this time frame is non-existant, the only logical conclusion that can be arrived at, given the uniqueness of the design, is that the coin was a development prototype to specifically test the design viability in the manufacturing area. The coin is labeled as a proof since the quality and workmanship screams proof.

Some may hint at counterfeit yet the experts are convinced beyond all reeasonable doubt that the coin is authentic.

BTW, I hope to have this piece available at the NEW IKEs Workshop hosted by the Rob Ezerman of the IKE Group at the ANA Baltimore Money show at the end of July. This workshop is scheduled for 1 to 4 pm on Aug 1st. No reservation necessary.

For anybody interested in seeing the new generation of IKE collections and collectors, please stop by, we will have some very exciting coins there along with some of the leading collectors in the country.