• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last of my first submission-79S Morgan

12 posts in this topic

Well,its been a learning experience. I wish I had some help choosing what to send. I'm not completely disappointed.Just some. Anyway, my last two were an 79S Morgan and an 81S Morgan.

First the 81S. I don't have any good pictures of it. But it is probably even nicer than my 1900. Not a mark on it,PL fields ,I would have bet on MS 66. I have another one I bought at a trusted coin shop and these two looked almost identical except a bag mark over the eye of the 2nd. Long story short the 81s came back "Imroperly cleaned".There are no hairlines!! You could have knocked me over with a feather.I was that sure.

Now for the final coin. 79S Morgan. Guess what they gave it? Is this one too easy? I will post results Monday,when my coins should be returned.

61090-79sObvlast.JPG.79afda993527c01d039521a3b3a87316.JPG

61091-79s3.jpg.791e76e234d4f81b2fedfb61dc52f1f0.jpg

It sure is hard to tell by these pics. It looks to be MS63-64. Odd thing below the first "L" in Dollar and looks to have been thumbed in the cap. I don't know, if not graded then maybe "Altered".

It sure is hard to tell by these pics. It looks to be MS63-64. Odd thing below the first "L" in Dollar and looks to have been thumbed in the cap. I don't know, if not graded then maybe "Altered".

HA!! Forgot about that.That's a piece of thread that got in the holder somehow. It wasn't stuck on anything.and it fell out when I transferred the coin to the flip.And,that's a slight bit of toning in the cap. I'll get a better picture up when the coins come back Monday.

From the high point rub on the cheek, I guess AU58?

Ooh.That hurts.Either my photography really stinks or my coin knowledge is worse than I thought! Nope, I hope I would never send a common date AU Morgan to be graded. Must be my photography.

62 - Not enough contrast to be a PL in my mind.

Scratches on cheek probably limited this one along with lack of details in the headband buds and leaves. The reverse is much better than the obverse with a bit of field chatter but the details are nice.

White balance in the first picture is off and looks like you adjusted for the reverse ...

62 - Not enough contrast to be a PL in my mind.

Scratches on cheek probably limited this one along with lack of details in the headband buds and leaves. The reverse is much better than the obverse with a bit of field chatter but the details are nice.

White balance in the first picture is off and looks like you adjusted for the reverse ...

I've got these funky blue venetian blinds over my window.The coin is facing that. It just so happens when the sun is bright and I'm taking pictures I get this blue sometimes. Gotta find a better spot.

I missed my mail with the returned coins today so I'll just post the grade. Believe it or not NGC gave it an MS 64. I guess that picture is pretty bad. I really thought it had a good chance at 65. Seems I've been about 1 grade off on most everything.

This one came from Ebay . From a guy who was testing the waters. He has rolls and rolls of UNC Morgans of different dates. He asked a friend to list this one and an 80S Morgan in similar condition and if they did well,he would put up a few dozen more.

They both sold for around $40 each. I got a note with the coin saying the man wasn't happy and took all the rest of his coins back and wouldn't be offering them again.Funny story I thought.

Anyway,thanks for indulging a first timer guys.Even though I've been collecting off and on for 30 years or so.I Appreciate the encouragement. Pete

They both sold for around $40 each. I got a note with the coin saying the man wasn't happy and took all the rest of his coins back and wouldn't be offering them again. Pete

It wouldn't surprise me if the consignor is one of those "I-don't-know-anything-about-coin-collecting-but-I-was-told-this-would-be-a-sure-winner-as-an-investment." He probably bought UNC rolls of common date Morgans for $800+ per roll and expects that every coin should sell for $100. He wanted "pie in the sky" but got "platters in the pasture" instead.

Welcome to the neighborhood, Pete!

Chris

They both sold for around $40 each. I got a note with the coin saying the man wasn't happy and took all the rest of his coins back and wouldn't be offering them again. Pete

It wouldn't surprise me if the consignor is one of those "I-don't-know-anything-about-coin-collecting-but-I-was-told-this-would-be-a-sure-winner-as-an-investment." He probably bought UNC rolls of common date Morgans for $800+ per roll and expects that every coin should sell for $100. He wanted "pie in the sky" but got "platters in the pasture" instead.

Welcome to the neighborhood, Pete!

Chris

Thanks Chris. I was told the guy was an older man in his 70's who owns a rural "general store" or something in Hinton West Virginia. Don't know why the guy provided all this info.

He probably bought them back in the 70's or 80's.I've seen some of the prices those scam investment firms charged back then. 3 or 4 times or more the going rate now. Although,Ebay might have had something to do with any decline in some coin prices