• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tired of Sillyness!

44 posts in this topic

I really don't think that a few immature posts disrupt the "collecting vein" of this site. Also, this side of the street isn't nearly as bad as ATS. Many more people have just up and left the PCGS forums, or have been bammed and come here for refuge.

I realize that it is mostly a few younger, new members who have joined in the past two years who think that every post has to turn into a series of dumb graphics and dumber teasing, one-upmanship or hazing.

As one of the younger regular posters and someone who joined only about 9 months ago, I don't think that's really a fair characterization. I don't think I've ever engaged in a graphics war, the people who do are generally much older than me and have been on considerably longer than I have. I'd also be interested to know how precisely you're defining "teasing, one-upmanship or hazing." That's pretty broad. Teasing as I think of it is fairly harmless. A little bit of teasing when we say rediculous things reminds us not to take ourselves too seriously. One-upmanship is ultimately pointless and I don't personally think I see much of that on this sight. Hazing? Well, that's an awfully strong word. Care to cite an example?

MonkeyMan, Actually almost all of the former senior paying members and serious collectors that I joined with in the first year (February, 1982) are gone from posting here and spend their posting time across the street. We were here for several years before you guys came along. Do you actually pay to be a member here and does that imply getting some value for your membership money? I am tired of reading all the coin sale boasting, booster posts and related nonsense. Do you think that there is a message here somewhere from all those mature collectors who have moved ATS?

MonkeyMan, Actually almost all of the former senior paying members and serious collectors that I joined with in the first year (February, 1982) are gone from posting here and spend their posting time across the street. We were here for several years before you guys came along. Do you actually pay to be a member here and does that imply getting some value for your membership money? I am tired of reading all the coin sale boasting, booster posts and related nonsense. Do you think that there is a message here somewhere from all those mature collectors who have moved ATS?

What is this "you guys" you're talking about? Are you grouping ALL of the members who have joined in the past few years into your "troublemaker" category? That's not fair at all. Sometimes you have to sort through a few bad posts to find that gem of a post; the wealth of information, but that shouldn't stop you from searching. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the information contained in these forums is astounding.

From the few times that I have wandered ATS in the past three or four years, it has been enough to convince me that the NGC boards are far more "user friendly" as a numismatic resource than that of PCGS. I realize that there are sometimes non-coin posts and non-coin threads, but the percentage of nonsense on this side of the street is quite a bit lower than ATS.

Is the membership over here even 10% that of their board? It may be even less Yet, despite those occasional annoyances, I find that I get much better numismatic information and response when I post here than I ever did ATS.

I'm sorry that there are some who rub you the wrong way - that's to be expected when rubbing elbows in a crowded room. I hope that I haven't contributed excessively to the perceived "sillyness".

I have to agree with James here. This forum has given me much more info than I could ever get ATS. Far too much BS goes on ATS than what I see here. I can't say that I haven't seen some posting that could have been eliminated due to no revelence to the thread, but I can't also say that it was worth leaving the site for. I feel we have a good mixture of people here and I'm thankful that some of us do have a sense of humor. I know that there are alot of these people on this forum that have compassion for thier fellows members, and most would never intentionally Haze each other!

I can't speak for anyone else, but on that very rare occasion when you might find me dispensing my own brand of humor, it is done so more for my own sanity than anything else. Everyone has their particular share of problems, and for me, these forums provide a means to cope with them.

Sometimes I let my troubles get the best of me, and I find myself unfairly lashing out at others, here. However, I have always tried to live my life not wanting to dwell on the negative aspects because to do so can be your downfall. Once I have expressed my opinion or said something negative, it's over and I move on.

I have said, on more than one occasion, that I have a thick skin. So, any time any of you feel that I have gone a little too far with my humor or my complaints, please say so! Go ahead and say it on an open forum. I won't be offended! I've always believed that you will never know if you are doing something wrong unless someone tells you.

You are entitled to your opinions and the right to express them, here, but don't let these emotions get the best of you. A little bit of humor can brighten your day.

Chris

Intresting post and intresting comments. as a "NEW" i find it hard to pass comment.. as i find all the high brow or low brow posts of intrests.. and i may be strange but i enjoy people posting pictures and funny comments on my posts.. it makes it more personal and fun.. but i guess that may have something to do with me being a daft Englishman.

Ps. i am a full paid member for the last 4 years only starting posting last year

Plus sometimes You post and dont think especially at 3 or 4 in the morning ... Case and point the "dipped question"

The coin was already posted and second guesing myself "maybe I should have dipped it" I asked opinions of users here ... I was told it was spam and deleted it...

Then I just got hammered by ( They who must not be named ) both publicly and by PM's who said that EVERYPOST is something I am selling - WRONG - I feel as though I have contributed positively to this board and will continue to do so ...

Hence the 'spanking post' ( The smiley was hilarious I must admit )

And OT ...

"My name is Mike and I AM A PAYING MEMBER"

as I would bet 75% are as compared to 10-15% ATS

Good Day

PS - This board will NEVER and dont mind if I repeat myself NEVER be as bad as ATS

I'm sorry Old, but calling out a whole segment of the posting population is bad form. The lighthearted banter may not be your cup of tea, but its part of every forum I have ever read.

I normally would not have responded, but being read the riot act in a place where most seek refuge from real life really sucks.

It has changed here over the years. I joined a few days after you Oldtrader3.

The PCGS board started off about the same with only a few members and it grew into the monster it is today. The same great information is still there but it takes much longer to find it. Many great collectors and dealers have come and gone.

This site has also grown to have several thousand members. I feel we have lost many serious collectors but we have gained many times more. It took me a while to get used to it but the crowd today seem to have a lot more fun with the hobby.

I'm trying to do the same and just roll with it. Great group of folks here.

Dear Member # 16,

I see that after lying undisturbed for 2 full days you had to get one last dig in on the "DELETED" thread and bring it to the top of the page.

You might try practicing what you preach.

Sincerely,

whateverthehellmember#Iam

I really don't think that a few immature posts disrupt the "collecting vein" of this site. Also, this side of the street isn't nearly as bad as ATS. Many more people have just up and left the PCGS forums, or have been bammed and come here for refuge.

I can only speak for myself. I notice that there are a few Forum members here who post on just about every Forum here. I do not post on the 'Comic " forums as a rule because I am not interested in Comics. I do not post on the Ancient Coins because I have no interest in Ancient Coins. etc. I do post on Forums regarding Economics because I have a B.A. in Business Admin and a B.S. in Accounting and fairly well read in the area etc.

I have occassionally asked about an opinion on a " grade" for a coin. The only reason for this is because I might be interested in an area in which I am not familiar and want to get a more experienced opinion on whether it is feasible to pursue a new area.

If I make a statement and a poster replies that ' " I am jealous" or such other nonsense then I am going to reply and give the facts for my feelings

The big problem I have is the introducing of "Politics" into these discussions in a ridiculous and childish way such as " The President is......""People that listen to CNN or Fox etc are......" and using erroneous and misleading posts to try and bolster a personal opinion. If somebody makes a statement such as 217 members of the House voted for '...... and regardless of the Party involved attacks it in a way that "such and such a party is ........' without giving any facts then I see it as a problem and Politics for the sake of it has no palce on these Forums. Another example is not buying a Commemorative coin for the Boy Scouts and instead of commenting on the aesthetics of the Coin or any merits or distractions of the coin itself whine about a personal Religious or Political opinion.

These people contribute little or nothing to the Collecting of Coins and when they repeat this same nonsense in different Forums then there reason for being here becomes questionable.

I realize that there are people who are using " graphics" and sometimes accompany these graphics with attempts at humor which are soemtimes successful and soemtimes not successful. I just skip over them just as I would the other areas that don't interest me.

OT3, with all respect of which I have a great deal for you, I feel you have went too far. I thought that this forum's purpose was to give anyone interested in numismatics a place to come together in friendship and share numismatic experiences-for example, asking opinions on a new purchase, its grade, its value, its rarity or how hard it is to find in certain conditions, what causes certain defects, AT vs NT issues and many,many more questions that I see answered daily here on this forum. We, unfortunately have went through some issues that should not have arisen(such as the CAC posts that littered the forum for ever), and yes we have an occasional poster that has no current numismatic interests, but they are usually pushed to the side or ignored. If there is no room on this board for questions as to grade or value then why did the NGC moderators build a category just for them as they did in "Hey Buddy can you spare a grade" and in Money Market. I joined here(paid member for what its worth) and was amazed at how different it was from ATS. Not near the bickering, name calling, upper crust oneupmanship that is a daily occurence there(not to mention the censorship). It was actually a pleasure to post and read here without being criticized for not being able to afford the top grade coins. I, too, am disabled and live on the East Coast and did not know that by posting after 1AM ET was keeping anyone up on the west coast, I'll try to type more quietly from now on(maybe this is my poor attempt at humor). I have made some poor choices in coin purchases over the years but far less since joining this board. An occasional humorous post can actually be uplifting to some, while maybe hard for others to deal with-if so, I am sure no ill intent was meant.

By the way I have a rather large Numismatic library and while probably not as vast as some, I do read daily in one or another books, but they fall short of having access to the many knowledgeable and sharing folks on this board, who have given me much assistance over the last couple of years. I am sorry for the length of this post, but for all the issues you threw out I felt it necessary.

Jim

OT3, while I agree with some of your points, I also think you went to far. I am a young, relatively new, free member, and I don't feel that any of those facts detract from anything I post. Perhaps it is you engaging in elitism now?

As to the humor on this site - as with anything on the internet, you have to realize that tone and intent are bloody difficult to convey in text alone. And while some people's sense of humor may not be the same as your, that does not make it low or broad. I believe that a little bit of humor and kidding around is an important part of community building, building relationships and camaraderie. After all, there is more to life than just collecting and studying coins (shocker!), and many of us are here for the friendships and community almost as much as the coins. I know I am.

Yes, sometimes things do get out of hand. Yes, there are alot of grade my widget posts, and a lot of how much is my widget worth, and look at my new widget, and that sort of thing. I think part of that will be greatly alleviated with the new grading forum, if you don't care to participate, just don't go there. Also, keep in mind that while to some people an MS-64 Morgan is a widget, to others that represents a fair amount of their collecting budget, and are justifiably quite proud of that coin (I don't want to start a discussion on the widget, just using it as an example ;) ).

On average, there is a level of quality on the forum that you just won't find across the street. Yes, there are great, mature, serious, knowledgeable collectors over there. And yes, there are plenty of great, mature, serious, knowledgeable collectors here as well. If you are so dissatisfied with the level of posting over here, I encourage you to take a trip across the street for a while. I don't want anyone here who doesn't really want to be here or can't appreciate what they've got here. When you are flamed out, bammed, or get so disgusted with the toxic environment over there, as I'm quite sure you will, we will welcome you back.

Just my 50 cents.

No, I am not grouping all of the newer members into the same box. Many of you are mature and interested in collecting. Plus, you post welcome, interesting topics that I read with relish. However, some of the newer members think that this site is their opportunity to launch their comidic careers and maybe even take them on the road someday. Remember however that most comics are unemployed.

First let me apologize to any member who was or has been offended by any graphics or humorous post i have made. While coin collecting is a wonderful hobby with me it certainly is not a means of livelihood. It is what it is a hobby to be enjoyed and shared by all, young and old. I have enjoyed it for the past 40 some odd years. Humorous post,( and i feel like this is directed toward me) sometimes are used to lighten the direction a particular post is going (downhill).

[font:Comic Sans MS] Sorry Charlie

signed Unemployed [/font]

Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. (thumbs u

Jerry, good reply and I agree with you. Most people here have good intentions and I enjoy reading their posts. I just don't want this site to get hijacked for commercials or too much silliness. I don't mind people asking questions or newbies trying to get a grip on the hobby. It is a complicated hobby. Most posters are fine and if I am not interested in the subject, I just skip the post. You are not keeping me awake. I go to bed at 10:00PM PDT regardless. That is 1:00AM EDT however, but sometimes I don't have time to post until most members have left the site for the day and that is ok. I am ill at present with lung and heart problems which have kept me from doing other activities. So, I have been spending more time here than usual.

Serious coin collecting is about knowledge, learning and discipline working through all the barriers and constraints required to build a decent collection. It requires many years of focus and study to understand and not get taken to the cleaners by the many doctors, unethical dealers and charlatans out there. My wife is very practical and thinks that coin collecting is a mine field of mostly less than honorable dealers. She does not have the passion for coins and can not understand why I bother considering all the serious problems in the hobby. She is a devout Christian and avoids dealings with any dishonest people like the plague.

Sometimes the problems and goblins in the hobby bother me more than other times. I still get taken sometimes and my wife wonders why I bother to put up with it. Sometimes I wonder also, like now, when I am tired of all the inane rambling. She thinks that I have lost my marbles by collecting in the face of all the issues within the hobby. I always pay as I go, on time, and try to act honorably with people that I deal with, only asking for some respect and fair treatment from others. In today's culture this seems too much to ask.

I being a newer (paid) member came to these boards as a new collector in this hobby. Over the last year I have come to enjoy what I like to call my friends here on the boards. I am also on fixed budget so to me my Roosevelt dimes or Widgets as some would call them are what I can collect and enjoy with out spending great amounts of money. I believe just like any other place in this great country people have the right to act and say what they want within the rules or laws set for that given environment. I also believe that we do a great job of policing ourselves over here, and that is why we are not so restricted in what we can post. To call out a whole group of collectors because they dont fit into your ideal of how things should be done is wrong. There is nothing wrong with trying to be funny as long as it is done in an appropiate manner.

P.S. rrantique what you do to try and lighten the mood on topic's that are turning into trouble is GREAT and I think most people see it for what it is.

Charlie, I am probably as guilty as anyone for teasing some of my buds here. I will usually take a jab at Chris or TomB if they let down their guard but that is because I know they will not be offended and we've had a rapport going for years. They all know that I have beaucoup respect for them and never take me too seriously. Yet, I try to make educational posts and make a positive contribution to the boards. I know that you're definitely not singling me out. We, too are friends and, unlike most other boardsters that I know, we've actually met face to face on a couple of occasions. You're definitely my friend but I don't banter with you as much because each person has their own distinct personality. And, considering the many thousands of board members, I think that overall, things run quite smoothly. Sometimes a member may need to be put in check, of course, if they are being disruptive. Your post, Charlie, is a very good example of how self-regulating these boards are. It certainly isn't perfect on this side of the street but I am personally highly endebted to the NGC boards for helping to mature me as a collector and for giving me invaluable contacts to obtain coins that I wouldn't be able to get if not for so many of my fellow boardsters from the young like Zach and the old like you. Most every member provides their own unique input to the boards. Mike, IMO, inputs far more positives than negatives along most all other posters. Even stinkycheese makes people think with his posts despite his double-mindedness. The negative posters soon go by the wayside.

So, now I have to conform to what the founders of this forum deem appropriate and if my own personal style of posting does not conform to these standards, I get grouped into “you guys” and get admonished by posting along side the founders.

It’s the “you guys” and you know who you guys are, who joined a couple of years ago…well, I’m one of those “you guys” who feel comfortable with my level of knowledge and collecting abilities who likes to share and garner information about Numismatics and other collectables, who sometimes injects “humor” into otherwise mundane topics…doesn’t take long for me to get the picture and you handed me a Polaroid.

Sometimes we all just have a bad day-due to health, stress and a maelstrom of other issues. As we all share a love for numismatics and we all have totally separate personalities and issues that fire us up, we should not take umbrage(a Dooly word) at a particular rant but allow it to make us better members. Thanks for the post OT3.

Jim

What I deem as appropriate should be not constraining or should not necessarily apply to anyone else. We are all individuals with different levels of collecting skillls and needs and that is as it should be. Don't take me out of context. All I want is a little order mostly, and some consideration, respect towards each each other, our needs and attendant collecting options.

I also have a limited budget and collect some "widgets" as well because I can not afford better, most of the time. I either have to divert some of my retirement savings or sell other coins that I maybe would rather keep to buy some coins that I really want to own for my present interests. Sometimes I have to make hard decisions about collecting more obtainable modern or classic issues or saving for better coins. I also have to settle for what is reasonably obtainable within the constraints of my budget.

The days are long gone when I had economic freedom and the disposable income to own over $100,000. worth of nice gold coins. Forty five years ago, there was much great gold coin material available for prices that would make your eyes roll now. In the present, however, it is more "what is feasible, given my limited resources?", plus what can I give up now and how badly do I want this for the future? There are no bargains anymore. There are mostly only options of what is best now for my limited buck. Most of us on this site are in the same boat. Some few lucky ones still have their wonderful collections from the past to fall back on and I don't begrudge them for it. I enjoy looking at their wonderful coins.

I just did a quick look at the handles of everyone who has posted to this thread, and I can say without a doubt that I value every one of those members. And of course, there are many additional members that I value for their contributions. Off-hand, I can't think of anyone that I would like to see leave or post less. I really like the different perspectives, opinions and slants on things offered by the board's cross-section of collectors.

I must apologize myself....I use quite a bit of humor in my posts! But it does not mean I am any less interested or serious about my coin collection then the next person or that I don't use the boards to help get information on coins. Some people go about it different ways.

It reminds me abit when the "Harry Potter" Books starting becoming huge. "Old School" educators didn't take the books seriously because it wasn't "real" literature like say "Tom Sawyer". But they over looked the point that it got kids to read and that was the important part.

If the newer people to collecting are a bit different or go about it differently. It's ok. I just like the idea that they are here and are having fun and learning a bit on the way.

I've never been a paid membership fee anywhere because I find sending coins in to be graded too aggravating to be much fun. I do it when I have to do it. Sure, I’ve made some good money on the coins that came back in slabs that were graded higher than I thought they should be. But I’ve had a few body bags that drove me crazy and in one instance it cost me more than $1,000 in losses. On balance I’ve made a lot more money on the over graded coins and properly graded coins than I have on the pieces where I was not treated well. But since I’m fast becoming a retired bourse dealer and not an active one, I’m not interested in playing the game. As a collector I’ll buy coins in the holder or with a “for sure” grade guarantee like I did with the 1795 half cent I recently purchased and posted in the U.S. Coins section.

I’ve had far less aggravation over here than I ever had across the street. The site across the street is filled far more carnival barkers than it will ever be filled with here. The reason is that high graded (but not necessarily those that make the grade, which is why I added the “d”) modern coins in PCGS holders are meat on the table for those who sell to PCGS registry lunatics. NGC graded modern coins are not as lucrative.

If I were to write the post across the street that you have written here at the top of this thread, Old Trader, I would get the boot. I have over 10,000 posts over there, and 99% of them were met to help people. To the people across the street that does not mean anything. Their concern is “promote the PCGS product, be neutral or get the boot.” Honesty is discouraged over there to a great degree.

Over here you can post a thread like this, not have it taken down and still retain your user name and password. I respect that. One would do well to consider that before you complain about what others are doing or saying. Sure there are foolish posts over here, but to me it’s like the arguments for censorship on TV. If you don’t like what you are viewing, change the channel or don’t tune in at all.

And thanks for supporting my recent posts, Old Trader. I appreciate your opinions, but compared to what goes on across the street I have to respectfully disagree.

I apologize. I've said my piece and I'll shut-up now. I like and appreciate well over 90% of the people plus what goes on here and am willing to leave it at that. Considering that we are all human that is still a good batting average for any site. I enjoy helping people where I can and don't like the toxic atmosphere across the street much of the time. That is why I have posted about (110) times there in (7) years and almost (4000) times in the (6+) years here.

I did overreact and apologize for that. I have been ill and subsequently have had a migraine for (3) days as a result of heart, lung and kidney problems. However, my problems are not your problems and I will try to keep it that way better than I have today. My wife even told me to back off a little. Many of you are posting comments that I do enjoy reading, Bill, Victor, James, Tom B, Hoot (now gone for awhile), Mark Feld, Physics-fan, Larry, Irvin, Sy, Chris, Bobby, Dooly (when I can decipher his brogue) and many others, too many in fact to mention.

So I will apologize and if my apology is accepted will continue to participate here as I can do so. I do appreciate that this post probably would have gotten me axed ATS. I have been axed there before for criticizing HRH. I tend to be a wiry, quiet, even tempered person with a big temper when pushed too far.

For example, when some Canadian driver nearly ran me over in a grocery store parking lot (with a 15MPH speed limit) crosswalk at 40MPH the other day. I am not as nimble as I was (20) years ago and he almost got me and he wasn't even looking! A Canadian driver did run down an (84) year old pedestrian and kill him last week here and the driver never saw the guy or put on her brakes until he hit the old man, in a marked crosswalk, in broad daylight. She was talking on her cellphone! Washington state did just pass a law against driving while talking on a cell phone. Maybe this will help. They also need a law against putting on eye-liner on the freeway. Oh well enough said for one day! The world is somewhat crazy these days.