• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1811/10 Capped Bust Half, great overdate!!!

8 posts in this topic

This is the 1811/10 overdate, Overton 101 in PCGS AU58. All I can say is WOW! This was not an easy coin to find, looking and looking and looking and passing by all these poorly dipped out excuses for 19th century coinage.

The 1811/10 overdate ranks 6th in the level of scarcity for all Capped Bust Half overdates, and just follows the 1808/7 (which is 5th) in scarcity.

This is an ex-Meyer, big time collector and fanatic (I'm sure), having collected, I think...all the Overton varieties (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Very scarce in this grade, it is considered by Souders to be a sleeper in any grade.

It is believed that 185,176 were minted, but, only 450 pieces are believed extant in both varieties (the O-101 and O-102 which is more scarce).

Extensive die lapping, to get rid of the overdate, created a central device with a lower relief than the 'normal' 1811's.

The strike on this coin, I believe, is significantly better than most, for this overdate, and the dentilation is intact, although, there is some fading on the left side.

What other overdates exist for the year 1811? Why, the 1812/11 overdate, of which there are two varieties, the large 8 and the small 8. Souders therefore conjectures that the 1811/10 was more likely a minting error (Reich mistakingly punching in a 10) than an overdate, as in the use of a left over die from 1810.

Interesting coin, overall.

Anyone care to comment on the reason behind the toning pattern around the stars on the left obverse, and below the date?

60684-181110obverse.JPG.c31a27e8a1bd9fb760998a4b829110e0.JPG

60685-181110reverse.JPG.937c750153e6f1ed7089b829b33f1dbe.JPG

60686-181110DATE.JPG.0cd98609e7d9330dea03b952fb561520.JPG

In my experience - and 18.11 has always been a favorite target of mine - these are available in Fine and lower grades, but in VF, they get tough, and advance to downright difficult in EF or higher.

Such a gorgeous and outstanding coin!!!!! The coin itself is amazing and the toning is just icing on the cake (literally and figuratively). It's hard to say from the photos, but my guess is that the toning was the result of storage in an envelope. Great coin, thanks for sharing!

Wow, that one is a stunner. If you are referring to the white areas around the devices, that is much more commonly seen on Morgans. I have heard that it is due to the different flow patterns creating different surface conditions around the devices. If it is more dense, the area might not tone as well.

Spectacular coin with toning quite remniscent of that seen on Morgan dollars. I like it very much. (thumbs u