• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There may be an influx of new members.

83 posts in this topic

Good grief, I don't even know how to respond to something like that. They have to have a law against political posts? Was it really a problem?

I find it ironic that politics would be an issue of such preponderance that PCGS needed an extra special post to address it :P ...

Maybe those characters who were taking me to task in the Conder101 thread will come over here and tell me I'm spending too much time trash talking the PCGS forums and need to stop being so political lol !!!!!!

If you have an ID there that you don't want any longer start an "In God We Trust" thread in the U.S. Coin forum. Pro or anti-IGWT; it doesn't matter. The fireworks are amazing. There are some over there who would not be able to keep from posting to the thread and would be toast.

Imagine a long line of popcorn-munching, +1 posting CU refugees, most with chips on their shoulder for being Banned, seeking shelter here. Arch and Dena better stop them at the border. ;)

So much for the freedom of speech!! Maybe our wonderful President is running the show over there too.....Oooops..political post!! 30 lashes for the fireman!!!

Cracks me up something fierce :roflmao: God bless George Carlin....this buds for you!!

Arch and Dena better stop them at the border.

:)

:thumbsup:

But really, political discussion is theoretically discouraged over here as well. If you look at the rules, it says not to do so. The elephant party and the donkey party are *bleeped* words. Its just that over here, the moderators are much more laissez faire, which in my opinion is a good thing. It has nothing to do with free speech, as it is mentioned there are plenty of other places to discuss it. They just don't want to have to deal with it there.

While not condoning the draconian censorship policies ATS....

Not allowing political posts is not out of the ordinary for Internet forums. Like religion, there's usually not much point in debating the issues, and a whole lot of emotion in the arguments.

I can think of no reason why anyone would discuss politics in a coin forum (unless you count insulting Congress for some of the dumb coin-related laws they've come up with recently, and I do that often, even in my set descriptions).

If they wanted to clean up their forums, they should ban any member who starts a thread that is OT. I'm stunned that many people will actually put OT in the title of the thread as if that makes it OK.

Also ban the ringleader of the attack gang and a couple of his cronies. It'll be a much friendlier place.

And they hated the Open Forum. They were looking for a way to get rid of it for a while. A female coin dealer finally complained with a somewhat valid reason and got it shut down. hm

What would happen if a well known or influential publice representative turned out to be a coin collector. Would they not be able to express their views and opinions in fear of being influential? I do not and have not seen any type of abnormal or distrubing influence on our forums related to politics, relegioin etc. things that would encite such a reaction. My gosh, my Mom, bless her heart, is so outspoken on subjects like this but I learned a long time ago to take it all with a grain of salt.

To me there a lot more important issues and concerns we can all address other than worrying about something like this. Again, I am glad to be part of these forums, where these type of issues do not arise, at least not that I have seen.

Rey

I did not see the post set this off over there, but it does get intense with name calling sometimes. Some of the "in" gang OTS, think they control political thought and believe that they are the sole voice for political, arm twisting and name calling. It does go ballistic sometimes when these "thought police" get tweaked a little.

I read the thread that likely was the cause of the notice. I can't blame the mods there for trying to put a stop to it. If they had not nipped it now I'd hate to imagine what the next few months would be like.

A coin thread went ballistic OT in just a few posts and degenerated into some pretty intense name calling. For a moment I thought I was back in the Open Forum.

I don't have any problem with shutting down the politics, it has nothing to do with coins which is why I come ot the boards. It also has nothing to do with free speech, this is private property and the owner can do as they like.

I don't have any problem with shutting down the politics, it has nothing to do with coins.

Actually, politics has everything to do with coins---but I know what you're saying. :þ

I read the thread that likely was the cause of the notice. I can't blame the mods there for trying to put a stop to it. If they had not nipped it now I'd hate to imagine what the next few months would be like.

A coin thread went ballistic OT in just a few posts and degenerated into some pretty intense name calling. For a moment I thought I was back in the Open Forum.

(thumbs u

The Open Forum was the PCGS precursor to the NGC Water Cooler. However, the Open Forum developed a strong character and a cult-like devotion among certain members as well as its own "language". PCGS shut down the Water Cooler around August or September, 2006 with a one or two hour warning period to folks. The forum was pulled entirely and all threads lost, which did not make much difference for the majority of threads, but still caused quite a bit of angst among the regulars. Some folks used their PCGS member names to commit suicide by moderator and a few of them ended up over here at NGC.

Contrary to some opinions voiced within this thread, I think PCGS is taking the correct steps regarding political "commentary" on their boards and I also agree with Greg that the OT thread starters should be similarly dismissed.

I come here and ATS to read and learn about coins. Any and all threads that have to do with politics degenerate very quickly. They serve no purpose on a COIN board. Good riddance IMHO.

HRH liar and pig (and Carolj) his minion and mean spirited need to quit drinking too much of their own cool-aid and get a hobby, or better yet get a life!

(thumbs u :applause:

I don't see how threatening to kick a whole lot of members off of your site solves any problem at all. If the moderator wants to clean it up, then post a civilized warning to the members telling them to stop and inform them that any political, religious, etc. threads will be deleted immediately.

If certain members continue to post these types of threads, then they should be sent a final warning via PM.

The actions of the moderator ATS are completely absurd. If that person worked for me and posted that kind of message to my customers, the person would most likely be unemployed. Many of the people who post on these boards also submit coins for grading. If you kick them off the board, you will most likely lose them as a customer as well.

Maybe PCGS feels that they can afford to lose customers because they are the leading TPG at the moment. However, if they adopt that policy, they will find themselves in second place very quickly.

Imagine a long line of popcorn-munching, +1 posting CU refugees, most with chips on their shoulder for being Banned, seeking shelter here. Arch and Dena better stop them at the border. ;)

Come on, you know they're just be here doing the posting that CS members don't want to do. We've got no right to keep them out. We should celebrate their discussion board identity. And another thing: we should instruct our mods not to check their IP numbers to determine whether they came here from PCGS or if they're native NGC posters.

:o

60732-immigrant-sign.jpg.ff4daf21aa94b7bee256289bdf429692.jpg

Come on, you know they're just be here doing the posting that CS members don't want to do. We've got no right to keep them out. We should celebrate their discussion board identity. And another thing: we should instruct our mods not to check their IP numbers to determine whether they came here from PCGS or if they're native NGC posters.

:o

lol I recognize sarcasm and thinly veiled political commentary when I read it.

It just takes me longer because of the allergy meds.

:)

Interesting... carol's original "NO POLITICS!" post was not pinned to the top of U.S. Coins Forum page 1.

It's now half way down page 5 and fading fast.

(shrug)

Why so interesting? It was pinned to the top long enough that the people it was meant for had time to see and read it. If someone who only logs in 1 or 2 times a month missed it and gets bammed because of it then so what. (to them, at least) The object of the post was to warn the people who live and die on the site.

If that person worked for me and posted that kind of message to my customers, the person would most likely be unemployed
You're assuming that she wasn't instructed to say what she did, or something along those lines (edited to add: or that she hasn't been given blanket authority to make comments/threats as she sees fit) . And that's unfair to her.

It’s rudely worded and intentionally so. I’d lose my job if I started writing emails in that tone…
Carol has posted in that tone on other matters in the past and has been at her job for a long time. That should tell you something about whether she has the general blessing of management or not on such matters.