• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could you grade this seated half with roller marks? (huge pic)

10 posts in this topic

DSC07486.jpg

DSC07487.jpg

Sorry for huge pictures, but I thought it would be easier to grade this coin.

I've heared somewhere that roller marks won't affect the grade, but how do you grade this coin?

WOW...this is a puzzler for sure. This will require additional research because I have yet to see a coin of this year and type with that kind of dramatic effect on both obverse and reverse.

I'm not sure that "roller marks" is the proper terminology here.

Interesting.

Edit: After a bit of further research I also conclude that those are indeed "roller marks" and add uniqueness to the coin. Although "Adjustment Marks and Roller Marks" should not detract from the grade, only those with knowledge of just how they occur would see the real value of the coin, especially in the raw state. Once it is graded any suspect alterations or post mint damge can and should be ruled out. As far as what this one should be graded, tough call but middle 60's (64/65) cannot be ruled out.

Let us know.

Note: like the sig line poser!

Well, I'm not much a grader of older stuff, but that coin is exquisite! Great luster and original toning.

I'm gonna stick my neck out there and say MS63.

Awfully clean, nice half, Toyo. A nice Reconstruction Era half in a low population date. Only (64) graded by NGC. Not quite struck up but I would hazard a guess to say MS64. Roller (or adjustment?) marks on seated liberties should not subtract from the grade but the weakness in the strike does a little.

Thanks for opinions, folks.

I think I'M going to have it graded either by NGC or PCGS in near future.

I'll report the results later.....hope it will be graded as high as many of you graded.