• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you fill a Kennedy Dansco

44 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago, I acquired a set of Kennedy's that is about 80% complete. All of the coins are from Mint Sets and are in 2x2's. Many of them are still in the cellophane. I have quite a few duplicates of many dates. Right now, they are in a 3-ring notebook. I finally decided that I would put them in a Dansco album. Would you try to complete it with, say, 65/66/67 specimens? Wouldn't it be better to have the 68 or better coins slabbed? Should I leave those slots empty with a notation that the coin is slabbed, or should I find a lower-graded coin to fill the slot?

Chris

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For instance, I put together a very attractive complete set of business strike Kennedy halves from rolls. I just put in the nicest examples I could come across, which were "AU64-65" coins - coins which were probably MS64-65 before they had the most minimal of circulation. If I was filling an album of Kennedy halves, I wouldn't spend the money on slabs to crack, if it was me. I'd look for raw MS65ish examples.

If I were going to fill an album, I would look for nice mid-range coins. I wouldn't want to put expensive coins in an album (I don't really know anything about Kennedy's, so I don't know which ones are expensive or anything like that.) I'll just give you an example - I am putting together a Whitman thumb-buster of silver quarters. Yes, I can afford high grade examples. But I am purposely searching out MS-64 raw coins because that's what I think would be the best idea to put in an album.

I wouldn't bother to slab them unless I was selling the coins or giving them as a gift. I would put them in the dansco raw. I think I would enjoy the collection more that way. If you later decide to sell them, you could slab them then...JMHO

Well most of mine are circulated but I'm wanting to upgrade to uncirculated. When I look for them, at least MS65 would be the way to go I think. It makes the album look much more presentable also with nice clean uncirculated coins. JMO

The 64’s are one of the Kennedy’s highlights and they need to be in high grade with the proofs having cameo and perhaps the proof with Accented Hair. These need to be raw in the Dansco to increase overall value.

The 1970-D needs to be a high grade as this is one of the show case coins. Raw of course! (slab MS-66 or higher but keep one 65 in album)

There are some weaker struck Kennedy’s like the 1971, 1983 where a MS-65 is considered a high grade…RAW again! (slab anything MS-66 or higher)

Of course, any Cameo or Deep Cameo Proofs from the SMS needs to be slabbed, keep the standard MS-65’s for the album.

Also, any DCAM proofs from the 70’s needs to be looked at or considered for slabbing, it has to be on a coin by coin basis.

From 1991 to present, high quality Kennedy’s in MS-66 or PR-67’s and above can be easily obtained and should be put into the Dansco as raw. (do not slab any of these modern coins)

RAW RAW RAW!

You can either buy the coins individually or, probably even better yet, buy the mint sets for the halves and spend the rest after keeping any exceptional specimen.

Do not break a MS68 coin out of the holder! :makepoint: But it's raw then that's ok. :angel:

I have my own raw Kennedy's, mounted 1964-1978 in a Capital holder and the balance of the business strike set (to present) is in a Dansco album. The business strikes in the Dansco are probably MS64/65 the proofs are PF66 to PF69UCAM, depending on the year. Most of the pre-1970 proofs are PF67/68CAM, all of the later ones are probably PF69UCAM. All my Kennedy proofs after 1978-S are still in their sets.

This is just my approach. Everyone else can do their own version, based on how much money they wish to spend. I sold my completed certified proof Kennedy set and only have Bicentennial and type set Kennedy's in slabs.

What is your purpose for doing the Dansco? hm Wasn't that a dance in the 70's??? :o Anyway, if its for resale then 64-65 are quite presentable. For personal pleasure then whatever you can afford. Just be aware that "Dansco toning" can occur when you least expect it and factor in your comfort level with the toning that can result. (shrug)

If you can spot the coins that the grading services, especially PCGS, are going to grade MS or PR-68, you are better than almost all dealers. I think that there is a lot of politics involved in those grades. "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs."

At any rate I would not store very high grade coins in a Dansco album. One false move with the album slide, and you are down hundreds maybe thousands of dollars. I'd also be concerned about unattractive toning.

What is your purpose for doing the Dansco? hm Wasn't that a dance in the 70's??? :o Anyway, if its for resale then 64-65 are quite presentable. For personal pleasure then whatever you can afford. Just be aware that "Dansco toning" can occur when you least expect it and factor in your comfort level with the toning that can result. (shrug)

Perhaps you can explain this situation. I had forgotten about an album which I had which was a Dansco with Proof and circulated Kennedys. I also have Proof in OGP from 1968 and Mint Sets in OGP from 1970. None have been touched and are just like they arrived from the U.S. Mint

I sent in the 1970 D from the Dansco Album and the 1970D from the Mint set in OGP on separate times. The one from the Dansco came back from as a grade better than the one on the OGP Mint set.

I sent in the 1970S from the Dansco album and it came back as a PF69 UC. I sent in the 1970S from the OGP Proof set and it came back as a PF67 UC.

If pictures are worth a thousand words these pictures might be worth 100 or so :( There is no rhyme or reason for which halves have been toned. I am experienceing the same thing with my silver eagle Dansco but nothing with my Peace or Morgan Danscos and they are all stored in the same place?????

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

Becoka, I eagerly await your site for photograpy assistance and I am certain that you all hope I get help fast lol

I filled my album by using mint and proof sets. This album is quite attactive with the later years with four coins per year: P, D, S, S. I don't know what happens when the last page is filled up, may have to purchase a blank album with blank pages to continue the process.

BTW this is a very heavy album with all the slots filled.

Of course it depends on what you like but these coins are exceedingly inexpensive a couple grades down from the top and can still be very challenging. Most dealers keep small stocks of these now days that you can check and mint sets are the source of most of the highest grades.

I like sets displayed together so would tend to go toward album made to hold slabs or busting out coins for the set. I wouldn't buy many slabbed unless I were looking for very high grades.

Many Kennedy collectors like nice clean shields on the reverse especially at the top. Try to pay attention to this a little as you assemble the set.

These can be done extremely cheaply if you're willing to put in the work but it might be a better idea to "spend up" a little to avoid some of the work. For instance if you find a gem '71-D in a mint set just spend any coins that you have no use for in the set. It's a $4 set so the half will still only cost a couple dollars and you don't have the effort of selling or trading the rest. Or you can save everything till you're done and sell it as a lot. Many dealers will let you "mix and match" when you buy sets; take a nice Denver from one set and a nice Philly from another. They might charge a little more but it's still easier.

Chris----- Many years ago when I first started looking at halves on Ebay, I decided to sell a complete set of half dollars from 1916 to 1998. I hadn't fooled with many of the Kennedy halves after 1970---so, I decided to go around to the local banks and see what was available.

I bought hundreds of dollars worth of halves. I really enjoyed looking for all the dates and mints. It sort of brought back the "real" collecting of my youth---looking for coins from change. I ended up trying to keep the "best" coins naturally---and the oddball stuff that I found. In the end, I sold the set with ALL the Kennedy coins as being at least XF--AU or above. Most all of them were AU or better. I kept at least two from every date and mint for myself.

It was interesting to note that I found it difficult to find a 1993D coin. My son actually bought me an "unc." for Christmas that year. I had found only one coin during my search----which went into the set that I sold.

Also of note was that a lot of the coins had striking problems---especially the 1983 coins. I saved lots of these odd looking pieces---thinking that one day I might want to go back and look at them.

My story here is but to say that I had quite a lot of "fun" doing this. It really didn't cost me anything. And, I acquired a few interesting pieces for nothing but their 50 cent value. Still had a lot of 40% silver coins too in the mix. I'd do it again sometime----maybe the urge will strike me again. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, reviewing my Dansco, Kennedy set reminds me of course, that the 1982 and 1983 coins are difficult to find with decent specimens because of lack of mint sets for those years.

Plus as you said, the 1993-D coins do seem to have many marked up specimens, as do the 1997-P and 1998-P coins. The mint seemed to have been indifferent to coin quality in many mint sets issued during several years in the 1990's. I remember having to buy several mint set, 1998-P & D coins to find decent ones for the Dansco set. I have tried to keep the specimen quality of this business strike half set consistently at MS64/65.

If pictures are worth a thousand words these pictures might be worth 100 or so :( There is no rhyme or reason for which halves have been toned. I am experienceing the same thing with my silver eagle Dansco but nothing with my Peace or Morgan Danscos and they are all stored in the same place?????

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

Becoka, I eagerly await your site for photograpy assistance and I am certain that you all hope I get help fast lol

I looked at the 1970S in the OGP proof set and compared it to the 1970S in the Dansco which has been ther for at lest 25 years.

The one out of the Proof set was much more mirror like and seemed to be a better strike. Just don't understand wht the one from the Dansco got PF69 UC and the one from the un opened OGP prrof set got PF67 UC

Go figure! I never have figured out Kennedy proof grading standards. They vary from year to year and coin to coin. I have seen yellow acid toned coins in PF69DCAM holders and clean DCAM coins with no designation of CAM or DCAM, plus everything in between. This extreme grading variation seems particularly prevalent in coins minted from 1964-1970. I guess standards have wildly varied over the years and now what's out there now is a mess!

Speaking of Danscos containing coins, has there been any specific reason to store them with the spine up/verticle or can they be stored laid down on the back cover?

Go figure! I never have figured out Kennedy proof grading standards. They vary from year to year and coin to coin. I have seen yellow acid toned coins in PF69DCAM holders and clean DCAM coins with no designation of CAM or DCAM, plus everything in between. This extreme grading variation seems particularly prevalent in coins minted from 1964-1970. I guess standards have wildly varied over the years and now what's out there now is a mess!

That is possible,however, none of them have ever been in a holder or anything. Bought them raw and put them in s Dansco holder about 25 years ago and the duplicates were taken out of a case received directly from the U.S. Mint and never touched and were sent in about three weeks apart for grading.

If I was filling an album of Kennedy halves, I wouldn't spend the money on slabs to crack, if it was me. I'd look for raw MS65ish examples.

Agreed! I neglected to mention that in addition to this set that I acquired which is about 80% complete, I already have nearly all of the proof and mint sets that will, hopefully, enable me to finish it. If I still need to fill any slots, they will definitely be purchased raw.

Chris

I wouldn't want to put expensive coins in an album (I don't really know anything about Kennedy's, so I don't know which ones are expensive or anything like that.)

During the course of my examination of the coins that I already have, if I find any that would be considered scarce in the higher grades, these would definitely be submitted for grading and not included in the set.

Chris

I wouldn't bother to slab them unless I was selling the coins or giving them as a gift. I would put them in the dansco raw. I think I would enjoy the collection more that way. If you later decide to sell them, you could slab them then...JMHO

I don't have plans to sell any, but if one should be worth 6 figures, I might consider it. lol

Chris

I'd spend the $100 and buy a complete set.

Let me know if you should locate a proof and uncirculated set in 65-67 for $100, and I will pay you a finder's fee if I buy and accept it. Do you realize that there are 146 coins through 2008 in this series?

Chris

The 64’s are one of the Kennedy’s highlights and they need to be in high grade with the proofs having cameo and perhaps the proof with Accented Hair. These need to be raw in the Dansco to increase overall value.

The 1970-D needs to be a high grade as this is one of the show case coins. Raw of course! (slab MS-66 or higher but keep one 65 in album)

There are some weaker struck Kennedy’s like the 1971, 1983 where a MS-65 is considered a high grade…RAW again! (slab anything MS-66 or higher)

Of course, any Cameo or Deep Cameo Proofs from the SMS needs to be slabbed, keep the standard MS-65’s for the album.

Also, any DCAM proofs from the 70’s needs to be looked at or considered for slabbing, it has to be on a coin by coin basis.

From 1991 to present, high quality Kennedy’s in MS-66 or PR-67’s and above can be easily obtained and should be put into the Dansco as raw. (do not slab any of these modern coins)

RAW RAW RAW!

Thanks for all of the helpful info, Woody. Fortunately, I have 60 of the 1964 sets from which to find a nice specimen and four of those are A/H. I wonder why Dansco didn't include a separate slot for the A/H?

Chris

You can either buy the coins individually or, probably even better yet, buy the mint sets for the halves and spend the rest after keeping any exceptional specimen.

Do not break a MS68 coin out of the holder! :makepoint: But it's raw then that's ok. :angel:

Thanks, Victor, I don't think I will have to buy too many.

Note to self: Don't crack out any more 68's or better.

Chris

I have my own raw Kennedy's, mounted 1964-1978 in a Capital holder and the balance of the business strike set (to present) is in a Dansco album. The business strikes in the Dansco are probably MS64/65 the proofs are PF66 to PF69UCAM, depending on the year. Most of the pre-1970 proofs are PF67/68CAM, all of the later ones are probably PF69UCAM. All my Kennedy proofs after 1978-S are still in their sets.

This is just my approach. Everyone else can do their own version, based on how much money they wish to spend. I sold my completed certified proof Kennedy set and only have Bicentennial and type set Kennedy's in slabs.

This is just the situation that has me perplexed. I'd rather not have some in the album, some in another holder and some still in the government packaging. To me, that defeats the purpose of having the album in the first place.

Granted, if I should find any high-grade specimens, I would like to have them graded, but I would still like to complete the album. Maybe it's because the empty slots remind me of portholes, and I don't care for cruise ships.

Chris

This is just for my personal pleasure, not for resale. I'll let my heirs have the pleasure of acquiring the "greed bug".

Do you have any photographic examples of "Dansco" toning that is, in your opinion, detracting?

Chris

If you can spot the coins that the grading services, especially PCGS, are going to grade MS or PR-68, you are better than almost all dealers. I think that there is a lot of politics involved in those grades. "Some pigs are more equal than other pigs."

At any rate I would not store very high grade coins in a Dansco album. One false move with the album slide, and you are down hundreds maybe thousands of dollars. I'd also be concerned about unattractive toning.

Aw shucks, Bill, you really know how to burst a guy's bubble. I was already prepared to start my own CPGS .............. Chris' Psychotic Grading Service

Seriously, though, I do have quite a few slabbed specimens in grades MS66-MS69 (the only decade that is not represented is the 70's), but they will be helpful for determining potential submission candidates. I realize that the grading services can, and do, tighten or loosen their grading standards from time to time and some pigs get fed better than others, but the comparisons will be great help for me.

Chris