• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you fill a Kennedy Dansco

44 posts in this topic

What is your purpose for doing the Dansco? hm Wasn't that a dance in the 70's??? :o Anyway, if its for resale then 64-65 are quite presentable. For personal pleasure then whatever you can afford. Just be aware that "Dansco toning" can occur when you least expect it and factor in your comfort level with the toning that can result. (shrug)

Perhaps you can explain this situation. I had forgotten about an album which I had which was a Dansco with Proof and circulated Kennedys. I also have Proof in OGP from 1968 and Mint Sets in OGP from 1970. None have been touched and are just like they arrived from the U.S. Mint

I sent in the 1970 D from the Dansco Album and the 1970D from the Mint set in OGP on separate times. The one from the Dansco came back from as a grade better than the one on the OGP Mint set.

I sent in the 1970S from the Dansco album and it came back as a PF69 UC. I sent in the 1970S from the OGP Proof set and it came back as a PF67 UC.

It only proves that all coins were not created equal. (shrug)

Chris

If pictures are worth a thousand words these pictures might be worth 100 or so :( There is no rhyme or reason for which halves have been toned. I am experienceing the same thing with my silver eagle Dansco but nothing with my Peace or Morgan Danscos and they are all stored in the same place?????

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01639.jpg

Becoka, I eagerly await your site for photograpy assistance and I am certain that you all hope I get help fast lol

Does anyone know if the planchets used for modern proofs are subjected to a wash/rinse that is different from the one used for circulated/uncirculated planchets? Could this have a detrimental effect on coins that are placed in a Dansco album?

Chris

I filled my album by using mint and proof sets. This album is quite attactive with the later years with four coins per year: P, D, S, S. I don't know what happens when the last page is filled up, may have to purchase a blank album with blank pages to continue the process.

They will probably add additional pages, but if they are like any other profit-driven company, they will more likely create two separate albums to take the place of the one and separate you from more cash.

Chris

Many Kennedy collectors like nice clean shields on the reverse especially at the top. Try to pay attention to this a little as you assemble the set.

Good point!

"Virgo" Chris

Chris----- Many years ago when I first started looking at halves on Ebay, I decided to sell a complete set of half dollars from 1916 to 1998. I hadn't fooled with many of the Kennedy halves after 1970---so, I decided to go around to the local banks and see what was available.

I bought hundreds of dollars worth of halves. I really enjoyed looking for all the dates and mints. It sort of brought back the "real" collecting of my youth---looking for coins from change. I ended up trying to keep the "best" coins naturally---and the oddball stuff that I found. In the end, I sold the set with ALL the Kennedy coins as being at least XF--AU or above. Most all of them were AU or better. I kept at least two from every date and mint for myself.

It was interesting to note that I found it difficult to find a 1993D coin. My son actually bought me an "unc." for Christmas that year. I had found only one coin during my search----which went into the set that I sold.

Also of note was that a lot of the coins had striking problems---especially the 1983 coins. I saved lots of these odd looking pieces---thinking that one day I might want to go back and look at them.

My story here is but to say that I had quite a lot of "fun" doing this. It really didn't cost me anything. And, I acquired a few interesting pieces for nothing but their 50 cent value. Still had a lot of 40% silver coins too in the mix. I'd do it again sometime----maybe the urge will strike me again. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, over the course of the years 2000-2005, I searched 6-8 $500 boxes every month. Except for the 2000 and newer coins which were most likely "dumped" by collectors after they had cherrypicked the bags and rolls, most were not in the condition that I would find suitable for my album. If I were looking for one or two specific coins, it would be an inefficient use of my time to search these boxes. It would be less time-consuming to check local dealers or in-state coin shows. Yes, I did find many, many '65-'70 halves, but even that bonanza seems to have played itself out.

Can you post some photos of the 83's with the striking problems?

Thanks,

Chris

Speaking of Danscos containing coins, has there been any specific reason to store them with the spine up/verticle or can they be stored laid down on the back cover?

Woody, if God intended for them to stand upright, he would have given them legs and feet with big toes for equilibrium. (shrug)

Chris

Does anyone know if the planchets used for modern proofs are subjected to a wash/rinse that is different from the one used for circulated/uncirculated planchets? Could this have a detrimental effect on coins that are placed in a Dansco album?

Chris

Since 1986 a lot of the Kennedy blanks for mint sets are burnished by being polished with small steel balls. All the mint set coins since '65 have been washed and dried after minting and those made for commerce are not.

Burnished planchets have shown up in some rather odd places. There are also some PL coins made for circulation but these are probably inadvertant usually.

AS for DANSCO's when the set is finally completed - You may want to purchase a set of slides for the sets. The slides do get marked up from sliding in and out. Careful of the coins when sliding the slides as I have seen coins damaged in this way by opening and closing too often.

AS for coins for the set - We all know your OFF THE WALL in your collecting interests ( Very wide and Diverse ) so PUT IN IT what you want :)

AS for DANSCO's when the set is finally completed - You may want to purchase a set of slides for the sets. The slides do get marked up from sliding in and out. Careful of the coins when sliding the slides as I have seen coins damaged in this way by opening and closing too often.

AS for coins for the set - We all know your OFF THE WALL in your collecting interests ( Very wide and Diverse ) so PUT IN IT what you want :)

Yes, I've heard the horror stories about the slides from some of you here. I'm going to check the slots to see if they may be slightly deeper than the thickness of the coins. If so, then I will try to insert the coins flush against the reverse slide since I don't intend to remove it at all. Hopefuly, this will provide sufficient clearance when I insert the obverse slide.

What I would like to do is assemble the coins for the entire set, first, and then put all of them into their slots at one time. This way I can minimize the back and forth movement of the slides to reduce scuffing or abrasions on the slides themselves.

Diverse? It all depends on how you look at it. I have Morgans, VAM's, DMPL's, SCD's, French medals, U.S. medals, Franklin's, Kennedy's, SAE's, Ike's, SBA's, Sac's, Proof sets, SQ rolls, Prez rolls, errors and toners. All of these are made of metal, so you might say that I just collect one thing.

Chris

All of these are made of metal, so you might say that I just collect one thing.

Er, would that be...chaos? :devil:

What is your purpose for doing the Dansco? hm Wasn't that a dance in the 70's??? :o Anyway, if its for resale then 64-65 are quite presentable. For personal pleasure then whatever you can afford. Just be aware that "Dansco toning" can occur when you least expect it and factor in your comfort level with the toning that can result. (shrug)

Perhaps you can explain this situation. I had forgotten about an album which I had which was a Dansco with Proof and circulated Kennedys. I also have Proof in OGP from 1968 and Mint Sets in OGP from 1970. None have been touched and are just like they arrived from the U.S. Mint

I sent in the 1970 D from the Dansco Album and the 1970D from the Mint set in OGP on separate times. The one from the Dansco came back from as a grade better than the one on the OGP Mint set.

I sent in the 1970S from the Dansco album and it came back as a PF69 UC. I sent in the 1970S from the OGP Proof set and it came back as a PF67 UC.

It only proves that all coins were not created equal. (shrug)

Chris

Then NGC saw something which I didn't see as the ones in OGP had a more mirror like finish etc. It also proves that keeping coins in a Dansco isn't all that bad for them.

Yes, I've heard the horror stories about the slides from some of you here. I'm going to check the slots to see if they may be slightly deeper than the thickness of the coins. If so, then I will try to insert the coins flush against the reverse slide since I don't intend to remove it at all. Hopefuly, this will provide sufficient clearance when I insert the obverse slide.

What I would like to do is assemble the coins for the entire set, first, and then put all of them into their slots at one time. This way I can minimize the back and forth movement of the slides to reduce scuffing or abrasions on the slides themselves.

Diverse? It all depends on how you look at it. I have Morgans, VAM's, DMPL's, SCD's, French medals, U.S. medals, Franklin's, Kennedy's, SAE's, Ike's, SBA's, Sac's, Proof sets, SQ rolls, Prez rolls, errors and toners. All of these are made of metal, so you might say that I just collect one thing.

Chris

602-1.jpg