• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week long vacation and a cool find!

10 posts in this topic

So this last week, well just got back last night, I was on a nice vacation. Went to South Texas. Anyhow being the coin guy I am I did some shopping. Ended up with some cool Mexican Coins(Toned UNCS), FB Merc Dime that was cheap and a few other coins. Nothing major. I did manage to pick up 2 Ancients which I will be talking with Thing a bit later on. Then I found this cool piece of American History.

1848 Major Winfield Scott Medal. 90mm

Yes this sucker is huge. Makes a Morgan look like a QTR would to a Morgan.

A Bit of Info.

Bronze Medal.

March 9, 1848 - Resolution of Congress. Awarded for Scott's service during the Mexican / American War. 1846-1848

Done by: CHARLES CUSHING WRIGHT

Check out the detail on the reverse showing the battles which lead Major Scott to Mexico City which he would end up taking.

Enjoy and Comment Away...

bl1848swm.jpg

bl1848swmo.jpg

bl1848swmr.jpg

very cool. is that a bat weilding robot near the flag!? :)

It is a soldier with a gun that has a bayonet on it. The hat looks more like a Mexican Soldier Hat, which would make sense with the bayonet on the gun.

Bruce, that is an awesome medal! One wonders how many lives may have been saved during the Civil War had Winfield been born just five years later. By 1861, he was to old and hefty to even ride a horse into battle, much less lead troops into war. McClellan became the General instead, and we know what kind of trouble that got the North into.

Great thread!

scot.jpg

That's a nice era medal there Bruce, the center vignette depics Gen Scott encamped in Mexico City.

The soldiers headgear matches the ones in this painting. (triangular officers hats, regular soldiers hats with feathers, etc.)