• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade - 1943 Mercury Dime - Grade revealed bottom of first post!

15 posts in this topic

There are some stray marks on the old rattler holder, but I think they can be distinguished from anything that may be on the coin itself. I picked this one up ATS for my 1943-P date/mint set that I'm working on.

GRADE REVEALED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

010-0040-775vert.jpg

EDIT TO ADD GRADE

The grade of this coin is PCGS (rattler) MS65FB. I feel confident (as did WTCG who sold it to me) that this coin definitely merits at least that grade. Comparing it to a 1945-D PCGS (gren holder) MS66 that I previously bought, I find that this 1943 has fewer ticks. I feel comfortable, then, in thinking that this coin has a decent shot at a MS66FB today. I wish it had a shot at a 67, but I think that that's very doubtful. I also rather doubt that this coin would ever be dropped to a 64 or a no-FB.

If you're interested in seeing that other dime to compare the two, follow the links below:

...and if you want to try a little trick, click on the 45-D, then change the end of the URL to 0040.jpg instead of 0039.jpg and then you can switch between the images rapidly using the forward/back button on your browser to easily compare the two.

1945-D PCGS MS66

1943 PCGS MS65FB

Thanks for grading my coin, y'all!

I am going to say MS67FB because I think the very minor ticks on this coin are being magnified by the size of the photos. Very similar to what happened when I posted that MS68 Morgan. If the photos were smaller, I think the coin would appear to be much nicer. I don't have the time to shrink down the photos to test my theory. If someone else does, let us know how it looks.

I am going to say MS67FB because I think the very minor ticks on this coin are being magnified by the size of the photos. Very similar to what happened when I posted that MS68 Morgan. If the photos were smaller, I think the coin would appear to be much nicer. I don't have the time to shrink down the photos to test my theory. If someone else does, let us know how it looks.

Here ya go:

010-0040-550horiz.jpg

Beautiful coin, Michael. I have never been able to grade these coins well above Mid MS so I'll not embarrass myself now. Again, nice pickup.

Jim