• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mailman brought an envelope with a hole in it!

50 posts in this topic

If he doesn't make good on it, I'll send you an extra I have.

If it should come to this, make sure that the quarter doesn't slide around in the envelope. The best way to prevent this from happening is to attach it to the inside of the envelope with some duct tape.

Chris

I recently returned a half dollar to a seller. It was in a flip, and I didn't want it sliding around the bubble mailer, so I taped it to the side of the envelope. Worked just fine.

Why waste the money on a flip? Just use the duct tape! lol

Chris

I've recieved several envelopes with holes in them, some that the coin could have fallen out of but didn't. I doubt a postal worker would risk their job for a poorly packged quarter.

Sounds like an honest but not the sharpest ebay seller--which describes a large percentage of them.

Hanlon's razor:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

--Jerry

Bobby---- I have two little stories:

One----An absolutely lovely original skinned 1935 Walker came alone in a white envelope. Nothing in the envelope but the coin. I was astounded that "anyone" would mail such a nice coin like that. Fortunately, the coin wasn't harmed----it was a very nice AU coin so I wasn't concerned about lowering an MS grade. Coin could have been ruined but came through totally OK.

Second was ALMOST identical. This time an original skinned 1916D Walker in XF condition. Coin was mailed with NO protection at all. Was run thru the postal machine. You could tell where it had gotten caught---and squeezed along by a small shiny spot on the coin. I was NOT happy. But, I figured that the coin would still slab, so I kept it. Fortunately, it did still slab.

As in most instances, I agree with Woody on this one. There are just some folks who are either arrogant or ignorant---or maybe both. You do really hate to think that folks behave that way---but the reality of life is that some surely do not care to use the common sense---if any---that God did give to them. They simply either do not care or refuse to take the time to care. Certainly, they show NO RESPECT for the coins whatsoever. Bob [supertooth]

Hanlon's razor:

:applause:

I've recieved several envelopes with holes in them, some that the coin could have fallen out of but didn't. I doubt a postal worker would risk their job for a poorly packged quarter.

Sounds like an honest but not the sharpest ebay seller--which describes a large percentage of them.

Hanlon's razor:

--Jerry

Don't be too sure. My mother called me from Texas last week and wanted to know if my Son received a check she had sent him. It seems they caught a Mail carrier in Harlingen removing things from the mail. I have read other cases where mail carriers have taken mail home with them which they couldn't deliver in time for whatever reason. I was talking to my Mail carrier yesterday and told him that when he was off on Tuesday that I did not receive my mail until almost 5 hours later and almost dark and he said that they were missing 5 people that day because people call in sick on a regular basis and they are short handed anyway. He said that it is almost impossible to fire them.

About 5 years ago I was a victim of identity theft. A person that was a member of a group of people had a valid Florida Drivers license wirth the identifying features on it with ny name and address but their picture. They also had my Bank account number and had to know the amount of Money in my account. They also had payroll checks that had been stolen two years prevoiusly from a Business. In short they had to have inside information from either the Post Office or Bank or both..

The Mail carrier also told me that other carriers read magazines such as Playboy etc before they deliver them. I personally knoew of a case long ago in California when Welfare checks were deleivered by mail. They were always delivered on a certain day. Mail is supposed to be delivered directly to the home. On a lest one route there were Women who would go to a carrier at the start of his route and ask for their mail right then to get it early and also in the case where they had moved because these checks were not allowed to be forwarded.

For the carriers quick delivery he received a delivery of his own when he got off work.

Don't ever think that things are done because you think an employee might care about losing his job.

My mother called me from Texas last week and wanted to know if my Son received a check she had sent him. It seems they caught a Mail carrier in Harlingen removing things from the mail.

Harlingen! Geez, I haven't been through there since the Shark Shootout on South Padre Island in 2000.

They say the airport in Harlingen is so small......... "HOW SMALL IS IT? ...........(Anyone remember that game show?)..........that gossip spread by incoming passengers was old news before the next plane left.

Here is a little memento I picked up at the Harlingen Airport.

Chris

59812-IMG_2226.JPG.daad0e9cd4b7a2d95cc83d335956e0f5.JPG

Well, I've never had problems with a mail carrier, but ironically, just last week I was talking to my best friend from Indiana and he told me his mail lady was fired for not delivering the mail (I don't think she stole it, she just didn't deliver it) and he ended up getting a box of contact lenses from January that everyone thought was lost in the mail and were replaced! So now he has an extra years worth of lenses!

I hope the 2nd quarter arrives in good shape bobby!

When I lived in Northern California, I did not receive (nor sign for) several insured, registered mail, coin shipments. Additionally, some would-be, junior "Bangers" were stealing from our locked apartment postal boxes just to add to the confusion. I went to the Post Office and asked if anyone could help look for these lost items. The answer was no, plus a concerned "we ain't interested in hearing about your problems" lecture from the (kindly, minority) Postal Clerk!

One of our Postal Clerks in the small town where I live in Washington, was turned-in by his ex for growing and distributing copious amounts of Marijuana, grown in his basement for export to Canada. He slid out from under the conviction and he still works as a Postal Clerk but everyone in town knows his ex, trusts his ex and knows that he was guilty!

Every time I send a coin via Registered, Insured mail, I break into a cold-sweat if he is the Clerk who waits on me. That is why I wrap, sticky envelope and triple envelope every coin that I ship. This guy knows that I do something but not what I do, for a hobby.

When I lived in Northern California, I did not receive (nor sign for) several insured, registered mail, coin shipments. Additionally, some would-be, junior "Bangers" were stealing from our locked apartment postal boxes just to add to the confusion. I went to the Post Office and asked if anyone could help look for these lost items. The answer was no, plus a concerned "we ain't interested in hearing about your problems" lecture from the (kindly, minority) Postal Clerk!

One of our Postal Clerks in the small town where I live in Washington, was turned-in by his ex for growing and distributing copious amounts of Marijuana, grown in his basement for export to Canada. He slid out from under the conviction and he still works as a Postal Clerk but everyone in town knows his ex, trusts his ex and knows that he was guilty!

Every time I send a coin via Registered, Insured mail, I break into a cold-sweat if he is the Clerk who waits on me. That is why I wrap, sticky envelope and triple envelope every coin that I ship. This guy knows that I do something but not what I do, for a hobby.

Go to the next town over then .. :) ... or Ship from work if you are uncomfortable

I recently returned a half dollar to a seller. It was in a flip, and I didn't want it sliding around the bubble mailer, so I taped it to the side of the envelope. Worked just fine.

I've gotten several coins that were shipped that way but the safe-flip was just taped to a sheet of paper, folded, and placed in the envelope. In many cases the coin split the side of the safe-flip and was rolling around loose in the envelope. In a couple of cases the coin was gone, and in one case the coin was delivered to me with about 45% of the coin sticking out of the side of the envelope. Just a little more handling and that coin would have been gone.

My mother called me from Texas last week and wanted to know if my Son received a check she had sent him. It seems they caught a Mail carrier in Harlingen removing things from the mail.

Harlingen! Geez, I haven't been through there since the Shark Shootout on South Padre Island in 2000.

They say the airport in Harlingen is so small......... "HOW SMALL IS IT? ...........(Anyone remember that game show?)..........that gossip spread by incoming passengers was old news before the next plane left.

Here is a little memento I picked up at the Harlingen Airport.

Chris

She doesn't live in Harlingen. You walk into her back yard about 20 feet and there is a 7ft sea wall and you can look across the Water and see South Padre Island or you can drive to the next town which is Port Isabel and drive over the causeway to it. They had been there since the 60s. Then there was just a bridge to get there and a causeway was built after Lady Bird declared it a National Seashore. My Father who was Mayor along with the Mayor from Port Isabel and Senator Lloyd Bentzen dedicated it. Several years ago a Boat ran into it and they had to redo it

Harlingen is just the closest big Post Office unless you make a left while going there and go to Brownsville which is about the same distance. I usually drive from North Florida to there but did go out in and out of the Harlingen Airport in 2005 because my Father was in the Hospital there. It is bigger than the airport in Brownsville. I went through the Dallas /Ft Worth Airport in the 80s.Didn't know the area and the reservation people had scheduled me for Love Airport and they managed to get it changed.I had traveled on the plane from Brownsville to there and why they scheduled me out of Love Airport I have no idea.Not knowing Ft Worth /Dallas at the time it was a race to get on the train to get to the other side of the airport. Coming back from Harlingen and going through there in 2005 was a cake walk but all the other times I drove there.

My Father passes away two years ago and my Mother still lives there. My Brother and his Family live in Victoria Texas where he is an Engineer for a Independent Utility and his two sons go to the University of Texas. One is studying Chinese and Japanese and the University is sending him to China to study.

At the time my Parents were there at first the biggest Employer in the area was the Gladys Porter Zoo until they started building up South Padre when Lady Bird declared it a National Seashore. I can remember driving over on the Island and there was only one Motel and a few shops.

My Mother says it is so bad now during Spring Break and there are about 100,000 kids and she doesn't go on the Island because it is so crowded and the traffic is so bad.

I ended up in North Florida .

A few months ago I was in line at the post office to mail a package to NGC and there was a Woman about three people ahead of me in line.When she was called for the next clerk she told the person behind her to go as she didn't like the clerk beacause of his attitude. I asked my carrier about it and he said the guy was a jerk and had got into an argument with another Postal employee and hit her.The carrier has told me before that it is almost impossible to fire one after they finish probation.

sorry for the mishap: thank goodness it was not a glory hole!!

this is why i will not buy through the mail from ignorant sellers that refuse to properly paCKAGE and insure packages.........

if some item is so low value that the seller cant properly package and insure due to value considerations then do not offer it by mail!!

and certainly do not buy it as this is; usually and unfortunately, what you wind up with

Glad to hear the coin came in. I guess I'll keep mine for now.

I thank you for holding that and thinking of me in the PIF thread also Coindude! (thumbs u