• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Run at NCS?

31 posts in this topic

is that what they are trying to fix the "no more bulk subs" problem. it might be a good idea. maybe others will follow suit.

Not when you consider the type of coin which would benefit from such a designation...for example, scratched early gold or a holed and repaired skinny eagle half dollar. Such a coin would easily earn back its hundred dollar fee simply by guaranteeing authenticity. Even newer coins such as the often altered 1916 D dime or 1909 S VDB that would otherwise BB would benefit.

First of all, I was afraid this was going to happen.

PCGS was like the only major grading service to not grade problem coins. Now that has changed, unfortunately.

Also, 100 dollars? What were they thinking? That is crazy.

PCGS was like the only major grading service to not grade problem coins. Now that has changed, unfortunately.

PCGS always graded problem coins, sc1, they just didn't have a label to acknowledge that fact.

PCGS always graded problem coins, sc1, they just didn't have a label to acknowledge that fact.

What do you mean?

This is just insane. Someone has just taken leave of their senses. I don't think NCS would charge $100 on most things, right? Why go to PCGS then? Just so it can go in their registry. I don't participate over there anyway and I wouldn't want to.

NGC doesn't grade problem coins. NCS will sort of net-grade problem coins (e.g., VF Details).

I like the way NGC/NCS does this where NGC grades and NCS can take more time conserving and/or "grading" problem coins. IMHO, this kind of separation of duties (what it is called in my professional world) is good for the process. I has a bit more integrity.

As for the price, PCGS probably doesn't want to do this but are probably being brow beaten by some of their significant customers. So they set the price high enough so that it guarantees that only a few take advantage of this service.

It is interesting the number of significant changes that PCGS is implementing. I see these changes as "arms length" changes that appear to be isolating them from the average collector rather than trying to expand their business. They can show shareholders, "look, we are making changes" and will give them time to do something before the Collectors' Universe has to file a 10-K (annual report) and explain a drop in business. They can say that it is the result of a transition.

Could this be desperation on PCGS part????

Scott :hi:

Can HRH spell "Strategic Selling"? Hah! They have been net grading anyhow as Tom implied, but for much less money.

Scott B makes a very good point! What makes better sense? That PCGS are buffoons or that they are reluctantly doing the service and by charging a hefty fee, they are keeping some important customers happy while not overly encouraging submissions.

A positive note, though, in my opinion is that the coins will be allowed into the registry at one point. That is fair and is a good decision, I think. Some early type coins are so expensive that a no grade type would be a reasonable entry. I like this idea and suggest that NGC consider the same.

I think this is a good thing although I will doubtfully use the system nor buy the coins.

A positive note, though, in my opinion is that the coins will be allowed into the registry at one point. That is fair and is a good decision, I think. Some early type coins are so expensive that a no grade type would be a reasonable entry. I like this idea and suggest that NGC consider the same.

So NCS coins can't be in the registry? Interesting....

Scott B makes a very good point! What makes better sense? That PCGS are buffoons or that they are reluctantly doing the service and by charging a hefty fee, they are keeping some important customers happy while not overly encouraging submissions.

I think this is a good thing although I will doubtfully use the system nor buy the coins.

This is likely. The $100.00 fee is probably there to please cerain customers while discouraging all about the most expensive coins for this type of service.

NCS coins have never been allowed in the registry. I have used mine, illustratively, in Signature Sets, were they are allowed.

PCGS wants to have coins such as the 1817/4 Bust Half in a PCGS holder and available for the registry, but there just are too few that will grade. I use this example because there is a 17/4 coming to Heritage next month that is net graded in an ICG holder, and the last one that sold back in 2006 was net graded in an ANACS holder. A coin like that would be a good advertisement or showpiece for PCGS, but up until now they have been excluded.

You have to request the service to get a problem coin encapsulated. Your average cleaned coin will still come back as a BB.

NCS coins can ONLY be in in NGC "Signature" sets, but NGC does not allow NCS coins in Competitive (formerly known as Registry) Sets.

Personally, I like the the idea that NCS coins would be allowed in NGC Competitive Sets with the score of "1" (one) like PCGS is doing over at their site. It would allow some special or key coins that Collector's Society Members have conserved or just plain encapsulated at NCS to "show off" within "normal" sets. I mean lets face it, it's the Competitive Sets that get the attention and the views. Signature Sets get far less attention, leaving the NCS coins to go unnoticed, which can be a shame for some otherwise lovely coins.

And hey, a score of "1"? What's the harm?

Just also increase the standard score of "3" they seem to have for coins in all the low grades to maybe 4 or 5 to account for the presence of the new "1" NCS coins.

Food for thought to NGC.

So NCS coins can't be in the registry? Interesting....

I agree with NGC giving a minimum score for NCS coins. At least they then could be used for registry coins. Paying $100 to PCGS is extortion, plain and simple.

Pay Cash Get Service or Paying Cash Get Slabbed

Playing Collector Gold Standard

Please Come get spooned

people continue getting snookered

percolators celebrating graciousness servitude