• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Day Cover had the Reverse of Mercury Dime

4 posts in this topic

INAUGURATION OF WASHINGTON COMMEM­ORATIVE STAMP-ISSUE OF 1939

I was looking through some old First Day Covers and spotted this one and saw the familiar reverse of the Mercury dime cacheted off on the left. I did a bit of investigation and I did not find a society who may have called for the creation of the stamp, so I assume it was the United States Post Office who came up with the idea, and the House of Farnam, the envelope creator, came up with the fasces & olive branch seal engraving?

Scott854.jpg

The facts:

Scott #854 - The 3¢ Sesquicentennial of Washington's Inauguration - Designer: A. R. Meissner - Engraver: J. Eissler

Sesquicentennial of the Inauguration of Washington as First President 1789-1939

Post Marked in New York City Apr 30 @ 9-AM 1939 NY

House of Farnam cachet

Note: The House of Farnam is the very oldest continuously produced cachet, founded by Dusty Farnam and his wife, Vera, in Cleveland, Ohio on May 9, 1936. The business was sold to John Halliday of Whittier, California in the late 1970s

Scott854V.jpg

This stamp was provided to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the inauguration of George Washington as first President of the United States.

The stamp is 84/100 by 1 44/100 inches in dimension, arranged vertically. It was printed in purple on flat plates and issued in sheets of 50.

The central design depicts Washington taking the oath of office as first President un­der the Constitution on the balcony of the Federal Building, New York City, on April 30, 1789. In a curved panel forming an arch above the central design is the wording "Sesquicentennial of the Inauguration of Washington as First President", arranged in two lines, in white Gothic lettering on a dark ground. Below the central design are the dates "1789-1939" in white. The arch is supported on each side by ornamental scrolls resting on narrow panels which extend down the sides and across the lower edge of the stamp.

Included in a horizontal panel with dark ground at the top of the stamp and resting on the central arch is the inscription ". U. S. Postage ." in white Gothic lettering. Below on each side is a triangular-shaped panel. The denomination numeral "3" in white ap­pears in ornamental shield-shaped panels in each lower corner. In a narrow horizontal panel with dark ground at the base of the stamp are the words "Three Cents" in white Gothic.

This stamp was first sold at the New York, N.Y., post office on April 30, 1939.

Scott854III.jpgdimereverse.jpg

Note: The reverse of the Mercury dime depicts the fasces, an ancient symbol of authority, with a battle-ax atop it to represent preparedness and an olive branch beside it to signify the desire for peace.

Informative Post on Mercury Dime-includes fasces/olive branch history

Woody,

Very interesting, thanks for sharing, I also used to collect stamps and first day covers, stopped many years ago. Again, very neat history here.

Rey