• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mod is Dead

17 posts in this topic

I think that the Modern Coin market is about dead. I think record prices for modern condition rarities are a thing of the past.

Of the coins that I sold on ebay, the classics did the best, the moderns didn't hold their own.

I just purchased this PCGS PR 69 DC Silver Nevada State Quarter for my registry set for only $15 including shipping.

[font:Fixedsys]Comments? [/font]

59147-00a.JPG.f75b3b4d904fcf9ae955e742633dec7c.JPG

You got ripped. The non-PF70s are $6 coins. :shrug:
WRONG!

They're 25c coins. ;)

Borrow Dooly's meat cleaver, then it will be a 25 cent coin for sure. :devil:

I sold the State Quarter NGC sent to me with my Collectors Society renewal for $4.50. I have no idea which state it was because I could not care less. In any event, it was a complete waste of time to even list and ship it at that price. It would have been a better use of my time to just give it away to someone I know.

As for this sector of the market, I do not know if you are correct or not. If you are, I would consider it a negative for at least near term pricing for all coins though definitely a return to sanity.

Which further proves my point. (thumbs u

This may all be very true, but have you been following any eBay auctions for Mint-wrapped States Quarters or Sacagawea rolls? It isn't unusual to find some of the P&D sets selling for 3x-5x face value.

Chris

I Think that the STATE quarter certifieds have tanked. There a BILLIONS of book collectors keeping the P&D SINGLES market alive ... To Generalize to say the WHOLE MODERN market is dead is being overly BROAD.

WRONG!

They're 25c coins. ;)

Unfortunately when you are buying these coins for a registry set, you are paying for the slab, not the coin. Sadly I have not run into the dealers who sell them for $6 plus postage. I've got a couple of these holes in my registry set, and I would like fill them (e.g. 2006 Jefferson nickel, presidential dollar), but the coins are so darn common that I can't find them certified in PR-69.

I agree it's money down a rat hole, but at least it's not much money. (shrug)

A post from PCGS: "Teletrade auction 2533 lot 2397 Silver Delaware statehood quarter for $10,500."

Bulk coins, modern or classic are somewhat dead.

Top notch material and tough stuff to find are not.

But, we all already knew that, right?

You know, when I first clicked on this thread, I thought is was going to be some disastrous news about Dena or Arch.

That's what I was afraid it was going to be as well.

This may all be very true, but have you been following any eBay auctions for Mint-wrapped States Quarters or Sacagawea rolls? It isn't unusual to find some of the P&D sets selling for 3x-5x face value.

Chris

Well, that's good news for me since I have lots to sell. I wasn't going to sell at a loss so I was going to hold on to them.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

I think mods can be tough to retail at times. It all depends on the buyer. I am not beating down the door to own more of this material but not giving it away either. Nor am I interested in slabbing any of it. The gold issues close to melt are a super deal. I have a bankbox full I have picked up cheap here and there and always take a few to a show to retail.

I think you got a good deal on your quarter considering Market Value per the PCGS price guide is $22. I have seen guys retailing these (both TPG and self slabbed 69-s or 70's) at shows in the $20 - $35 range simply because its silver and then the horse design. Many of the buyers are women and are buying the coin because it is silver, pretty, and the horse design. They could care less about some numerical grade or what TPG (if any) except that the coin and holder looks attractive. An acquaintance of mine is putting these on attractive bezels and getting more money than the range above. I bought one myself to give to my current GF, Jessica (21). She loved it as she wants to have some land with horses on it one day. Much cheaper than the $5 BU Lib she wanted me to put on a bezel for her. He even has some self slabbed pieces that tout the "open range commem series" whatever that is. The creativity people will go to sell coins during this recession can be amazing.

.............and then you see dealers advertising Silver PF70UC Oregon & Kansas States Quarters for $300.

Chris

.............and then you see dealers advertising Silver PF70UC Oregon & Kansas States Quarters for $300.

Chris

Considering Market is $425 / 475 for the silver PF 70 DC according to PCGS that might be a super deal. But realistically, I would be surprised if they can even get $150.