• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Term question

17 posts in this topic

What is the proper term to describe the process of encapsulating a coin in plastic? ( aside from encapsulation )

I know we all say it: SLABS

Should we call them holders?

Slabs just sound so dead.

Any of you long time coin gods have a view on the proper etiquette in use of the right term.

What is the proper term to describe the process of encapsulating a coin in plastic? ( aside from encapsulation )

I know we all say it: SLABS

Should we call them holders?

Slabs just sound so dead.

Any of you long time coin gods have a view on the proper etiquette in use of the right term.

In answer to your first question regarding describing the process of "encapsulating a coin in plastic" - how about "encapsulation"? In answer to your second question "Should we call them holders" - Sure, why not? ;)

Thanks Mark.

I guess I was not clear.

I am asking what is the proper term to call ( what I call a slab)?

Just Holder?

slabs, i like to call homes, but i guess u can die in home too. sometimes the home isnt built right :P

slabs, i like to call homes, but i guess u can die in home too. sometimes the home isnt built right :P

Old people die at home all the time. (shrug) Has nothing to do with the house.

Originally PCGS called their holders Numiscaps.

Another possible term is shells, although normally the term is used in combination as either slab shells, Coin World shells, generic shells etc.

You say slabs sound so dead, but it is also somewhat fitting. In the mid 80's it was said that a slab was something you buried a investor in. And a coin that has been resubmitted until it receives a grade higher than what it actually is is said to be in its coffin because it is now a dead commodity. No knowledgeable collector wants to buy it because it is obviously overgraded, and if the owner cracks it out or resubmits it he will take at least a theoretical or paper loss because of the drop in grade. (So this is where you go looking for an investor to bury.)

[font:Comic Sans MS]plasticize [/font]

plas·ti·cize - /ˈplæstəˌsaɪz/

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -cized, -ciz·ing. to render or become plastic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1986–90; plastic + -ize]

—Related forms

plas·ti·ci·za·tion, noun. I sent my coin in for plasticization.

There is still the moniker "TPG Holder" or specifically 'NGC Holder , PCGS Holder < ANACS.....ICG....SEGS...etc Holder '.

I use 'slab' because it is easier and more understood nowadays .

You could also associate slab with steak , concrete , etc if it makes you feel less morbid about it , ya know?