• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need an opinion please... 2008 American Eagle Reverse

17 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding a 2008 American Eagle. I was contemplating putting this on Ebay. As I was looking at it, I noticed that it is a Reverse error or variety (depending on which camp you sit in). I have included a photo. This coin is already graded by PCGS as PR69DCAM obviously graded prior to the reverse discovery.

My question is this:

Should I send this coin in to be graded so the reverse error can be added to the label?

If I send it to be graded would it be better to remove it from the slab and send to NGC with the hopes of a PF70?

What would you do?

Thanks for all the help. I am very new at this and want to do it right!

59102-img039.jpg.62fe891c837f7f514e8d0a50add557e3.jpg

59103-img040.jpg.7932e46894c81b647e186b69d626aae3.jpg

The first question was easy, wasn't it?

As for hoping to get a 70, it is unlikely. I see what might be four very minute "ticks" on the reverse. Two are in the fields, one is on the banner and one is on the shield. If that is what they are (rather than lint), it would keep it from getting a 70 unless you chose to send it to NTC......................NOT! lol

Chris

Actually those pairs of ticks are probably on the plastic--the pairing being from the reflection. However, that milkspot by E in United and to the right of R in Dollar are pretty much a bummer. --Jerry

I have a question about the 2008/07 reverse. Current "Coin Values, p.8" shows a distinct difference in the U in UNITED in that the 2008 reverse shows a spur on the U that is not present on the 2007. The pictures also show varying thicknesses in the rims. My question, is the 2008 a deliberate "updating" of the reverse design?

RI AL

Talk about embarrassed! My gosh.. I didn't know if I could show my face around here again after that one ... :blush:

Anyway I appreciate the observations. The milkspots are on the coin I'm afraid. I didn't know if that was considered to be 'toning' or not. At any rate I am going to go ahead put it on Ebay and let someone else worry with it. And I promise next time I will look at the DATE first before I ask a question.

Again thanks for the observations and for not making me run laps for my lapse in common sense! You guys are pretty awesome! :banana:

The milk spots are not toning, they are damage. In the interest of full disclosure, they need to be mentioned in your description when they are sold. It will probably lower the price that you receive, but should prevent an unhappy customer returning them and/or leaving you negative feedback.

The milkspots are on the coin I'm afraid. I didn't know if that was considered to be 'toning' or not. At any rate I am going to go ahead put it on Ebay and let someone else worry with it.

(tsk)

Glenashley: One other thing. I am almost certain that the reverse error is only on the mint state coins and NOT the proofs.

Perhaps someone here more knowledgeable can confirm. This also reminds me of the hucksters on TV who insist that you must have this one (2008w with 07 reverse) as well as the 95W to have a "complete" set. The 95W, besides being a special edition, is a proof coin and in my humble opinion has nothing to do with having a complete MS set.

TraderGuys

No proof or not "W" mint '08 rev of '07 varieties have been found. The Mint says is was confined to 47,000 "W" mint state coins produced on (3) shifts.

No proof or not "W" mint '08 rev of '07 varieties have been found. The Mint says is was confined to 47,000 "W" mint state coins produced on (3) shifts. The '08 reverse change was "an update of the design" by the mint.

I have a question about the milky spot. What causes it? Defective planchet? I have a 2008 rev 07 with a couple of spots on the reverse. Having a mat finish, when you hold it to the light, it appears as a shinny spot. Under magnification, held away from the light it appears dark and grainy. I'd post pictures but the coin is currently at NGC for grading. I'm interested to see what I get back on it.

IMHO, the milk spots may be caused either by the water based die lubricant or as some have suggested by the caustic rinse of the planchets after an acid dip with an improper rinse and dry procedure. Translation, maybe the mint employees are careless about cleaning procedure or are rushing the process of planchet preparation.

My question, is the 2008 a deliberate "updating" of the reverse design?

Yes, and the obverse design was modified as well. So bot side of the 2008 coin were intentionally modified but a few leftover 2007 reverses were carried over and used as well. (Carrying over unused reverse dies from the previous year has bee standard procedure at the mint since its founding. It's just in this case they probably should not have been carried over because of the change in the reverse die design. Still there is precedent for this having happened many times before on other series.)