• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Bid question

20 posts in this topic

Hey ok so I bid on this one note. 61.00 i was the highest opening bidder with 9.90 then someone bid 22.00 so i was still the highest bidder at 22.50 ( reserve not met). today i felt 61 wasnt gonna close the deal i went a bit higher and i placed the bid at 85.00. and when i submitted it. instead of saying 22.50 ( with a max of 85.00) everything jumped to 85.00. it bid againist myself. I wasnt happy and knowing I had no cushion I had to go back and rebit to give msyself a cushion. ( and i do now at 91.00). BUT why did it bid againist me. I emailed the seller to explain it and have them look at the auction and to show that I really should be at 22.50 witha max of 91.00

Should I really have to pay 85.00 if it ends like it did cause ebay wants me to bid againist myself instead of just adding to my max? Granted theres a reserve but I never seen this before. Has this happened to anyone else?? Right now there are 4 bids on this auction 3 of which is me 1st 3rd and 4th. and I dont know what happened.

I had it happen once 3-4 years ago. It may just be a glitch. I contacted the seller who removed my bids and I started over with my new Max Bid.

Chris

If the reserve was not met via your first bid of $61. and the bidding jumped to your second bid of $85.00- you then landed on the reserve.

Not really sure about how it works on ebay, but I would guess that the reserve was somewhere between $61 and $85, probably within the minimum bidding increment nearest $85.

You were too quick for me, Pat. :grin:.

This has never happened to me. There have been times when bid a maximum but it never reached that maximum.There have been times that I have bid a maximum and I was over bid. My experience is that the bid goes up in increments.If the Increments are $1.50 and the bid was at $21.50 then the next bid should be at $23.00 even if I had a maximum bid of $35.00. In this case if somebody else bids $23.00 then automatically my bid goes to $24.50. If nobody else bids at thsi oint then I get the articel for $24.50. and not my maximum bid of $35.00

It seems to me that one of two things happened.

1. Either some body else bid up to the increment before your maximum bid or

2. There was a software glitch.

I have bid a Maximum bid and others bidding did not bid enough to reach my Maximum bid and I was declared the Winner but also the Loser as the Reserve had not been met. If nobody bid enough increments to cause your maximum to kick in then the fact that you had a high enough Max bid to reach the Reserve should not matter.

This is an Ebay matter as I am pretty sure that the Seller can't cause the Maximum bid to kick in ony because it meets the reserve otherwise Sellers would always meet their reserve and this isn't the case.

When bidding on an ebay auction that has a reserve, if the max proxy bids are LESS than the reserve it runs like a regular auction but there may not be a sale unless the bids continue to increase so the reserve is met. As soon as a max proxy bid is entered that exceeds the reserve however, the high bid jumps to the reserve bid because the bidder has indicated that he is willing to pay an amount that will guarantee a sale at at least the reserve amount. This is standard ebay procedure and has been since day one.

Why not just bid what you are willing to pay for an item? You could also use a snipe bid. If it is something I really want I snipe it!

really wanted to .... not really really i expected this to close ( with normal bidding wars) at around 60 or 65.00. i was really prepared to have ebay do what it did.

am i willing considering things are how they are.... yes.

Conder101 - Ive had a few times not hit the reserve cause noone bid that high. hmm maybe if you hit the reserve it kicks to that price. I havent dealt with it before so i guess Ive learned something new. Well I guess the only bright spot with a note like that at 85.00 it may scare alot of people off. sure would have scared me off at 85 not knowing the reasoning behind it

really wanted to .... not really really i expected this to close ( with normal bidding wars) at around 60 or 65.00. i was really prepared to have ebay do what it did.

Well, I doubt this'll make you feel better, but based on what I learned here I decided not to participate in a reserve auction that I didn't want something like this to happen in. So, what happened to you helped me learn. :)

When bidding on an ebay auction that has a reserve, if the max proxy bids are LESS than the reserve it runs like a regular auction but there may not be a sale unless the bids continue to increase so the reserve is met. As soon as a max proxy bid is entered that exceeds the reserve however, the high bid jumps to the reserve bid because the bidder has indicated that he is willing to pay an amount that will guarantee a sale at at least the reserve amount. This is standard ebay procedure and has been since day one.

This is actually news to me also. I have bid a couple times on reserves but it only put me as high as the next bid increment. I guess that I had never hit the reserve then. That's good to know in a way, lets me bid only what I want to and if the reserve is higher, I can just leave it at that and not worry about paying anymore than I wanted to. It also sheds a light on me to these type of reserve auctions. It's another reason why I usually pass on reserve auctions. They might as well have a Buy It Now instead. JMO

I just hate the idea of reserve auctions. It completely strips all the potential and fun out of the hunt for a good deal.

Why not just bid what you are willing to pay for an item? You could also use a snipe bid. If it is something I really want I snipe it!

I ran into a problem last week. THe opening price was $79.99 and the Bin Price was $89.99 With about a minute to go and no bids I bid $ 81.99. I did not want to pay $89.99 but I didn't want any body to get it for $79.99. I have done this before and got it at the opening price because nobody else bid.

This time I received a message from EBay that the auction was void because somebody had bid over the Bin Price but that I could have it for the Bin Price.

I don't know why anybody would bid over the Bin Price when they could have bought it earlier at the Bin Price. I am guessing that somebody wanted it and put in their maximum bid so as not to miss it by a few cents.

This is actually news to me also. I have bid a couple times on reserves but it only put me as high as the next bid increment. I guess that I had never hit the reserve then. That's good to know in a way, lets me bid only what I want to and if the reserve is higher, I can just leave it at that and not worry about paying anymore than I wanted to. It also sheds a light on me to these type of reserve auctions. It's another reason why I usually pass on reserve auctions. They might as well have a Buy It Now instead. JMO

Same here. I have bid on items before and at the close of the Auciton I was told that I was the high bidder but the Reserve was not met. My Maximum bid was over the closing bid so apparently people did not bid more than my last bid and according to other posts then apparently even my Maximum bid was not enough to reach the Reserve .Unless the Seller had a real high reserve I thought my Maximum was close.

This is scary if a person puts in a Maximum bid and even though others don't bid higher and your maximum bid happens to be above the maximum then it automatically jumps up to that bid.