• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewP 1878-CC morgan...soliciting opinions/comments

17 posts in this topic

I kind of like it; it looks like someone rubbed their greasy fingers all over the coin, though. Lots of different fringerprints and such.

I like the coin. It does have some interesting toning and marks as Chad mentioned. The 63 is a given as to the contact marks on Liberty's face and neck.

I love this kind of toning. It gives the coin a personality that is truly unique. Some think this type of toning is ugly, but not me. And as always, your photographic presentation is just phenomenal.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Personally I find this type of toning very attractive, even with the fingerprints. :)

I like the toning, but I think it's overgraded.

Chris

I like the coin too, though I think it might be under-graded.

Chris

Chris,

Why do you think it is overgraded. The surfaces look pretty clean to me. I wouldn't mind this in a 64 holder at all.

Chris

Chris,

Why do you think it is overgraded. The surfaces look pretty clean to me. I wouldn't mind this in a 64 holder at all.

I see a lack of definition in Liberty's hair along the face above the ear, on the cotton bolls and leaves, on the eagles right shoulder, breast & leg feathers and the talons. I don't think it could have been caused by a weak strike, and I don't think the toning is hiding anything in those areas. Personally, I wouldn't crack this to resubmit in the hope of an upgrade.

I still like the look of the coin!

Chris

This is one of those rare coins that the fingerprints actually add to the character of a coin IMO...and a nice year/MM to boot

Poorly struck breast feathers on a '78-CC Morgan are nothing unusual. I wonder if that brought the grade down? In my experience with PCGS, often as not, the fingerprints are put on by them, if they don't spill coffee or something on the coin.