• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Millennia Wins

8 posts in this topic

Anyone win anything in the Goldberg Millennia auction?

I placed a handful of bids - all of which I considered strong and well above estimates. I ranged from being the direct underbidder to being not even close. I did manage to win a grand total of one coin (Lot 743):

1779-Ducato.jpg

1779 Italy (Venice) Ducato

NGC graded MS-65.

Obverse: Lion of St Mark.

Reverse: Seated and kneeling figures with banner. Boldly struck and toned in shades of violet and silvery gray.

Assayer, LAF. Paolo Renier, 1779-1789.

Dav-1567; Cr-100.

Rare this nice.

Estimated Value $1,500 - 2,000.

Realized $3,600.

The person who inspected it for me called it a "nice, high end MS65" which is a pleasant surprise since he felt that many of the coins were overgraded by a point.

Given the fact this sale was so well publicized and attended, as well as the strength of the Italian coin market and the Euro, I feel lucky to have won it.

A tremendous coin, Greg.

I've seen in-hand a number of these pieces that Greg has owned, and have marveled at pieces that were graded VF and XF, but to see an image of a true gem of such a coin is almost mind boggling. I have a hard time imagining the care involved in having procured and preserved such a piece over time. How I'd love to have an hour or two to look at this piece up-close and personal!

Nice snag Greg.

Hoot

589a961246806_59096-Gregs1779Ducato.jpg.32f3c11829510c47f9252a9d3e00a164.jpg