• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reunited ... and it feels so good!

24 posts in this topic

How did you realize that this particular 1836 Gobrecht dollar once belonged to Amon Carter?

If it is indeed this provenance, is there any chance to have the name restored?

I can only dream of owning a coin of this caliber...you are fortunate.

How did you realize that this particular 1836 Gobrecht dollar once belonged to Amon Carter?

If it is indeed this provenance, is there any chance to have the name restored?

I can only dream of owning a coin of this caliber...you are fortunate.

Many of Amon's coins have that distinctive blue rim toning as a result of the [sulphur impregnated] cardboard holders he had made to display them. I have many of his coins in my collection and thus have spent many an hour browsing through the 1984 Stacks catalog. I recognized it right away!

Yes, it matches the color plate exactly so the TPGs would certainly add the provenance to the insert - however unless it's terribly marred, I intend to keep it in the older holder.

Congrads TDN, this is when the hunt is as thrilling as it ever can be, especially when the hunter knows what all the other hunters don't know in order to catch it! I love these kind of stories and couldn't be a better outcome to the right kind of collector who appreciates the coin and the great pedigree.

But it doesn't have a CAC sticker... how can you be sure it is graded right?! :devil:

Now that was completely uncalled for! (tsk)

But it doesn't have a CAC sticker... how can you be sure it is graded right?! :devil:

I don't care if it's graded right or not. I bought it for the provenance, not because I wanted an PR58 Gobrecht.

Beautiful dollar, TDN. I'm sure that you will be happy with it for a long time. Can you trace the provenance and have it re-attributed?

I believe that I have the actual invoice from B Max Mehl to Amon Carter, Sr with this coin on it. It's packed away at work, I'll have to find it...

I believe that I have the actual invoice from B Max Mehl to Amon Carter, Sr with this coin on it. It's packed away at work, I'll have to find it...

This is nearly as tremendous as the coin! Good job, Bruce. Your collections are second to none, mostly due to the care you give the numismatic history.

Hoot

This is nearly as tremendous as the coin! Good job, Bruce. Your collections are second to none, mostly due to the care you give the numismatic history.

Hoot

Hoot you took the words out of my mouth! While the coin is super having the receipt for it makes it way cooler!

I envision a Capitol Plastics holder with the PO on one side and the coin on the other. I have the perfect place to hang it in my office...

Thank you for entering my in your generous giveaway :acclaim:

I don't care if it's graded right or not. I bought it for the provenance, not because I wanted an PR58 Gobrecht.

Congrats! That's one nice looking Gobrecht, even if it is only a PF58. ;)