• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Sleepy Hollow" What happened?

21 posts in this topic

When I first arrived here in Dec of '06, NGC Chat was refered to as what the locals called it "Sleepy Hollow" Seems to me it has been a long, long time since anyone referenced this place using this terminology...what happened? hm

Several folks on the PCGS boards still use the term in a derisive manner when they write about the NGC boards.

In earl Dec 2006 several well known and respected posters from ATS were banned and came over here. It further increased the quality of the posts over here and provided an impetus for increased posting activity.

In earl Dec 2006 several well known and respected posters from ATS were banned and came over here. It further increased the quality of the posts over here and provided an impetus for increased posting activity.

I really love these boards, now. It may have really been "sleepy" here for a long time, but Conder is right on - these boards offer a much higher percentage of quality posts these days than it did in years past, and by comparison to ATS.

As an analogy, NGC boards is to PCGS forum as Heritage auctions is to eBay auctions. Both have advantages. One has higher apparent volume than the other. But the advantage I have come to appreciate most is quality over quantity. I do not have to weed through huge chunks of garbage to find something worth looking at on Heritage vs. eBay, or on NGC boards vs. PCGS forums.

I enjoy both forums and they both have a lot to offer but they have different cultures. I agree that NGC's forum has greatly benefited from the refugees which were banned from the PCGS forum.

When I think of some the hype masters that post across the street, I'm glad that I spend most of my time over here. I really got tired to doing battle with self-serving sellers of grossly over priced modern coins who passed themselves off an anything but used car salesmen who were out sell Yugoes as Cadillacs.

I still go over to the PCGS now and then, but nothing like did before that group of collectors were banned over there. I never ran afoul of the thought police over there, but the banning of that group of collectors angered me, and I decided that my expertise would be better appreciated over here.

I affectionately call it Sleepy Hollow from time to time. I don't care for the PCGS boards, because they are too active to keep up with, and the culture is just too vicious.

and I decided that my expertise would be better appreciated over here.

and it is Bill (thumbs u

Actually, the posts have always been of higher quality here compared to across the street - it just took longer for more people to discover that and start posting here.

Thank you, Dave from one who joined this board on the first day of it's existence. I joined at the same time as ATS and have always liked it better here. Less ego, more info.

PCGS banned a number of members for a number of reasons.

Mark Feld - He used the "F" word with First Strikes in mind. F word = Fraud

MikeKing - In defense of Mark and others

Conder101 - A post saying he would be keeping quiet as he did not like the current climate anymore.

Plus about 10 others who all had reasons. Some of which post here and some do not. Offhand I cannot remember who and why. Out of all the banned people only 1 or 2 really deserved it.

BTW I like the NGC Forums much better. Not soo Nazish with threads...

So, where were the banned members if you don't mind me asking and, what were you banned for?

I was banned for starting a thread ATS with a title of: "Did we get screwed by PCGS?". The thread discussed the infamous Norweb Hibernia. To their credit, PCGS allowed the thread and its offshoots to remain until they reached close to a cumulative 1000 replies, but they finally yanked all of the Norweb Hibernia threads, and unplugged my account as well. I have never re-registered over there.

Greg Margulies was the NGC member who kindly invited my to join these boards. You can blame it all on him lol !

Woody---- I'd just like to say that your addition to this NGC family has been pleasing to me personally. I enjoy your posts as they are both entertaining and full of useful knowledge.

I lurked here for quite awhile before Tom B got me to sign up. That seems a forever ago now. Back then, I tried to post more than I do now. We had a rather finite group of guys back then. And, we were ALWAYS most supportive of one another. We sort of liked our quiet little place.

Then we had the influx from the other side of the street---and I was sending what seemed like tons of welcome statements out.

For awhile it seemed a bit "noisy" around here. And, it was a little beyond what I personally liked---even a couple of loud threads on the WYNTK posts.

But, at least to me, it seems to have calmed back down---to almost what I would call that old "sleepy hollow" type of atmosphere. Oh, it will NEVER get quite as quiet anymore. But the new folks have brought a lot of very useful knowledge with them. I find that, instead of immediately trying to help or to answer a post, I can sit back and watch others answer the questions----and I agree with 'most' of those answers. So, now, I post basically when I think that I am needed---and that suits me just fine. I enjoy watching guys getting better as they learn. And that includes me too. Wouldn't want to even hazzard a guess as to how much that I have learned in these last few years.

I post infrequently on the PCGS chat boards----only when I feel that it is important. I actually had a fellow tell me to please post more the other day. Sometimes they really don't argue over there all of the time. As I have often said, when you leave your ego behind and learn to swallow a humble pill once in awhile---these boards can be MOST rewarding for everyone. Bob [supertooth]

I got booted ATS for expressing distress at PCGS dipping a coin that I submitted and then PCGS, Customer Service lied to me about it, said "the return packaging material lightened the coin". HRH's secretary had also lied to me about a B&M Auction lot. I had bought this (skillfully wizzed) 1921-P Peace dollar from a certain dealer in Salt Lake, who was then President of the ANA. When buying the coin, I had told this dealer I did not think it wouldn't grade. The dollar was darkly toned to cover the wizz job. I got "wizzed" both ways from him and the coin. Because of my reservations, he gave me a return privilege guarantee and then he reneged "because it took PCGS too long to grade the coin", yeah right!

I'm not naming names but many of you know know who this little (skunk) dealer is that did this to me. I ate $350+grading fees etc. and almost ate him (the dealer). I have kept the coin as a reminder about this certain Salt Lake dealer, past President of the ANA. If I ever see the little SOB again, I may do him bodily harm, despite being disabled. I had given the little jerk quite a bit of business previously. However, he did not hesitate to stick it to me when it was going to cost this little turkey money. I never did business with him again! Was I chapped at both him and at PCGS, Customer Service for lying to me, so I got booted ATS!

Sorry for the rant and getting OT, but this coin and a couple other hits on masterfully altered classic coins from national dealers, put me almost off coins for awhile.

I know since day one I have enjoyed this forum alot. I joined here first and then about 8 months later joined PCGS. I don't mind posting over there once in a while but as a couple have stated, it's hard to weed thru alot of the misc posts that go on. They get so many posts posted, that they get lost in the woodwork very fasy. Here, we seem to have a nice easy flow to things. It seems that most posts are well thought out and replies are the same. (except for that Irvin guy and all his Gifs) lol (thumbs u It does tend to slow down and get sleepy from time to time but that's fine with me. In the 2 yrs I've been here, I have learned so much from alot of the senior members here and also the ATS members that have joined us. I'm content right where I'm at!

I know since day one I have enjoyed this forum alot. I joined here first and then about 8 months later joined PCGS. I don't mind posting over there once in a while but as a couple have stated, it's hard to weed thru alot of the misc posts that go on. They get so many posts posted, that they get lost in the woodwork very fasy. Here, we seem to have a nice easy flow to things. It seems that most posts are well thought out and replies are the same. (except for that Irvin guy and all his Gifs) lol (thumbs u It does tend to slow down and get sleepy from time to time but that's fine with me. In the 2 yrs I've been here, I have learned so much from alot of the senior members here and also the ATS members that have joined us. I'm content right where I'm at!

fogsite2-1-1-1.jpg^^

I did not care for the vicious culture of the PCGS boards either. It seemed to bring out the worst in me.

What is ironic about the PCGS boards is even people who you would think would be in the DH inner circle either got booted or went out and criticized PCGS directly or both. So even among themselves there seemed to be a lot of infighting.

Thanks goes out to all who took the time to respond.

Looking at the number of hits, I’m always amazed at the number of views (300+) that a innocent but seemingly controversial titled post actually does get. They usually out numbers the coin related posts by a 3:1 margin, unless of course the coin posts are controversial themselves. :devil:

I’m sure there is some psychological explanation for that phenomenon, perhaps people are interested in the internal workings of a coin collectors thoughts…well, good luck in that arena! :insane:

Ya’ll have a good weekend. :grin:

~Woody~