• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sorry, this is an ebay question..

38 posts in this topic

i sold this guy a bunch of stuff, he thought $30 for shipping was too much on a $1700 purchase.. because it only cost me $21. so he wanted his $9 back.. i explained that those auctions cost me $234 in fees, and the balance just goes to that... that's how it works.

he's obviously too stupid to understand much of anything, much less ebay.. so he left me 48 negative feedbacks. absolutely ruined my rating. now he won't respond to emails, nothing... he's gone.

so my question is... can i somehow 'protest' this or whatever.. maybe some sort of appeal where ebay will remove these? or am i just screwed.........

thanks,

I HATE EBAY :pullhair:

If you were clear about the shipping charges in the auction then you might have a case for the buyer attempting to extort a reduced fee through ebay feedback. Try this claim with ebay and see if they will remove the feedback.

I thought it was a "No-No" to charge more for shipping to offset some of the eBay fees. If that is the case, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot complaining to eBay especially if the buyer gives them a copy of your response.

Is $30 too much to charge for shipping when it only costed you $21? Maybe yes, maybe no, but let me ask you this, "How would you react if you put 20 gallons of gas in your car @ $4/gal and the pump registered $89?"

Chris

I thought it was a "No-No" to charge more for shipping to offset some of the eBay fees. If that is the case, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot complaining to eBay especially if the buyer gives them a copy of your response.
I agree on those points. I'm not saying your shipping fee was unreasonable, only that your justification for it was problematic.

Could you please provide a link to the auction?

Packaging and Handling Fee<<

There is this also to add ontop of shipping. Ebay will accept a 9$ fee as such.

I do believe this would be the route to take and also should have been the response to the buyer.

Packaging and Handling Fee<<

There is this also to add ontop of shipping. Ebay will accept a 9$ fee as such.

I do believe this would be the route to take and also should have been the response to the buyer.

Additional agreement here.

These are the types of asinine issues I avoid by simply always doing free shipping.

I would never argue with a customer that had just spent $1700 with me over $9. Even if I choked while doing it, I would have given him a $9 refund. Customers with those spending habits are welcome at my site anytime and mighty hard to come by. Good luck with Ebay.

Jim

I would never argue with a customer that had just spent $1700 with me over $9. Even if I choked while doing it, I would have given him a $9 refund. Customers with those spending habits are welcome at my site anytime and mighty hard to come by. Good luck with Ebay.

Jim

(thumbs u

thanks for everyone's opinion.. but is there anything i can do? there has to be something within ebay for this type of thing.

how can i get this removed? i went from a 99.9 to a 98.8 because of this ridiculous situation.. unacceptable.

You probably can't get it removed. If you haven't already replied to the negative, I'd suggest doing so in a professional and informative manner. Beyond that, I'd also suggest not placing undue significance on the importance of the feedback. As has already been noted, bidders should understand.

You are still " passing" according to ebay standards so I wouldn't sweat it. I agree that with a $1700 purchase you should have thrown in the shipping for free and maybe thrown in a bonus coin or two. Penny wise pound foolish in this case. JMO

Yes, there are things you can do.

1) Contact your Power Seller rep to report that the buyer was trying to extort money from you. Your S&H were stated in the auction and the buyer demanding a lower rate is against eBay rules. It can (supposedly) get the buyer NARUed. Forward all your emails to your rep.

2) Contact your Power Seller rep about the massive amount of negative feedback a single buyer left for you. Supposedly this "feedback bombing" is against eBay rules. They are supposed to remove it. A couple of negs would have been OK, but not 48.

No way does this scumbag buyer pull this stunt before eBay decided it didn't need sellers.

Consider leaving some "positive" feedback for the buyer: NEGATIVE - WARNING - NEGATIVE - BUYER TRIED TO EXTORT MONEY FROM ME.

extortion

n. obtaining money or property by threat to a victim's property or loved ones, intimidation, or false claim of a right (such as pretending to be an IRS agent). It is a felony in all states, except that a direct threat to harm the victim is usually treated as the crime of robbery. Blackmail is a form of extortion in which the threat is to expose embarrassing, damaging information to family, friends or the public.

http://dictionary.law.com/default2.asp?selected=709&bold=extort||

complaining to ebay in my mind would be giving them heads up that you are getting money they dont get to pinch.

asig4life is his ebay name.. aka Robert Coffey.. aka the guy i'd love to spit on.

it wasn't about the $9.. it was the arrogance he had, and the principle of it all. who in the world asks for the shipping balance back? if i charged $3, and he got the package with a $2.54 sticker on it.. he'd ask for a .46 refund? 'bugger off' as they say... *consider the shipping quotes before you bid* - the kicker here is i could've charged him $74 according to what i say in my auctions... i knocked it down to $30 cuz i'm a nice guy. which paid off well here obviously :cry:

perhaps it was a bad move on my part, but it was exactly that... extortion.. it was basically 'give me money or else' - ugh

i don't have a powerseller rep that i know of.. i never went through the powerseller procedures, i treat all those ebay emails as fakes and i dont see the point. anyway, i like what you're saying about how 48 negs is grounds for something.... i'll dig around and see what i can do, i simply can not have that many negatives.. i'm an honest seller, i don't deserve this.

complaining to ebay in my mind would be giving them heads up that you are getting money they dont get to pinch.

they pinch the shipping too... it all gets included in the end. and in paypal.. here, there, anywhere they can.... they got their 5.25% percent or whatever it is today.

i'm calling them tomorrow...

I agree that the "shipping and handling" fee is more than just the actual shipping price. The gas to drive to a post office and standing in line up to 15min. (If you do it that way) Taking up your time! So I don't get mad for paying a few dollars more for shipping cost. Plus shipping materials. hm

I have bought from you many times with no problems, and have always thought the fee's to be within reason. My take is this guy is using the new rues to his favor.

I just finished reading and laughing about ebay and feedback ATS.

I am simply amazed at how vital it is to sellers to build up numbers. Isn't the point of ebay to sell???

I sell a few things and leave feedback when paid. When I buy, I leave feedback once I get feedback. I don't ask for feedback and couldn't care less. I especially love sellers who send emails ASKING for feedback.

If you go to ebay and complain and they rule that you're "padding" your shipping charges, they will not be happy and may take action against you.

I always thought the idea was to sell coins (or whatever) but now I guess it's who gets to a million first????

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

good point! without us sellers there would be no ebay! it is the sellers loosing not the buyers :( and now they hand them a silver plater with our heads on it.

If it wasn't for scumbag sellers, there wouldn't be a need for buyers to complain.

If it wasn't for scumbag buyers, there wouldn't be a need for sellers to complain.

If it wasn't for scumbag eBay, everybody would be happy.....................NOT!

Chris

I have bought from you many times with no problems, and have always thought the fee's to be within reason.

thank you very much (worship)

before this particular individual_without_enough_empathy, 99.9% of my buyers said the same thing.... now with a 98.8 i'm just another seller you hope you can trust, and it's really driving me nuts here... this is my livelihood.. my life pretty much :( this sucks

My take is this guy is using the new rues to his favor.

my take is this guy needs a face full of urine, but that's just me :grin:

one way or another i'll get this straightened out... i was hoping for a link to an official appeal form or something, i guess they don't exist... so i'll call ebay tomorrow and tell em all about it. what a pain in the ..... this doesnt need to get this out of control, ever.

i offer a 100% no questions asked refund... all ya've gotta do is email me and say 'i wanna return it' and we're cool................ i'm so easy to work with it's just unbelievable that this happened. thanks for the support/opinions.... :pullhair: