• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what series are you considering collecting and why??

49 posts in this topic

I think I've got enough projects going to keep me quite busy enough for a good long while. I've got my French Colonial set and my Franklin NGC FBL set, and just recently I got hooked by the CBH bug. I only make so much money!

Michael, I'm one of those who starts many, many, many new adventures and only finishes a few............................but I have one heck of a lot of fun!

I try to stay away from albums like Dansco's because they are a constant reminder that I haven't completed them. It's sort of like driving across the continent. I don't like AAA "Trip Maps" because there are dozens of places I would like to see that are well off the beaten path, and if you follow their suggested route, you never get to see them.

Chris

Early Commemoratives! I've gone on and on about my love for these coins. I'm working on the Booker T Washington set at the moment and I'm 75% done. After those I'm going for the Washington Carver set and then I'll just start picking them off one by one. My goal is MS65 or better on all coins that are affordable to me. We'll just leave that number blank for now. lol

I need one last gem graded Walker to complete that 20 coin short set....then I believe that I'll start a Mercury Dime short set....and of course I always have my eye out for any interesting sailing ship themed coins/tokens/medals etc..

I am not considering taking up any new series, but I am working passively on my circulated Mercs, Walkers, Morgans, and Early Commemoratives. I find that these sets are gaining more attention as the coins I need for my type set grow more expensive.

I have made some progress in filling the empty maw of my Civil War and Reconstruction set. There are still coins for that set which I need. However, I can take a breather and think about some other coin project, hopefully one that is not so time and resource consuming. I never will be able to afford a 1861-1878, $3 gold princess anyhow, so I think that I will skip that coin and focus on less expensive Reconstruction type. Buying a Type 2, double eagle was painful enough for the present.

Maybe I will work on my 1879 Mint Set for now. I can actually find these coins occasionally even though many of the '79, branch mint, gold coins are pretty scarce..

I have enough projects going on now.

1870 Proof Set

1870 Mint Set

1970 Proof Set

1970 Mint Set

Washington Dansco

Jefferson Dansco

Lincoln Memorial Dansco

Lincoln Dansco 1909 to date

Franklin Dansco

Buffalo Dansco - F/VF range

Mercury Dansco - F/VF range

Morgan Dansco's

ASE proof and MS Dansco

I have the following Dansco's complete just waiting on next year's coins

Kennedy

Roosevelt

State Quarter

All of my modern Dansco's include MS and Proof coins.

Series that might be interested when I get some of the above sets completed are:

Shield Nickels

LIberty Nickels

Flying Eagle and Indian Head Small cents

I have two ongoing collections: 1976, America's Bicentennial. Everything I can afford from different areas, situations, etc. associated with the Bicentennial. There's a lot of stuff out there, the problem is to find items that are representative of the celebration and the issuing topic (e.g., clubs, organizations, states, commissions, etc.).

The other is anything New York City or Long Island. I have subway tokens, bridge and tunnel tokens, medals, the LI commem, and even the ANA Convention Medal set from 1976. I am looking for more interesting items from New York!

Oh yea... I forgot, I want to pick up a 1960 Small Date Lincoln Cent Proof. That will give me a complete birth year proof set. Once I pick up that coin, the whole set will be sent to NGC to be graded and put in a multi-holder.

Scott :hi:

Oh yea... I forgot, I want to pick up a 1960 Small Date Lincoln Cent Proof. That will give me a complete birth year proof set. Once I pick up that coin, the whole set will be sent to NGC to be graded and put in a multi-holder.

Scott, do you think that you will be able to convince NGC to add the provenance:

SCOTT'S BIRTH YEAR - BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE!

Chris

Trying to complete a set of Toned Washington silver and Toned Franklins, then moving on to toned roosies. THis might take me a while to get the toning I like, as its been slow moving. zzz

and of course I always have my eye out for any interesting sailing ship themed coins/tokens/medals etc..

d502_1.JPG

I like the menacing sea and sky on this coin.

As in life, I always try to finish what I started. I've completed some sets and kept some and sold others.

Now, I have a Dansco set of Mercs (minus the '16D), Walkers, Barber quarters (minus the '01S and '13S), state quarters (4 of each type) and modern $ commems.

But, type coins are my passion!

I have two ongoing collections: 1976, America's Bicentennial. Everything I can afford from different areas, situations, etc. associated with the Bicentennial. There's a lot of stuff out there, the problem is to find items that are representative of the celebration and the issuing topic (e.g., clubs, organizations, states, commissions, etc.).

Like this? Bronze, 68mm, Paris Mint

59060-_MG_2209.JPG.80c39de91a6d139992299a575df65f5b.JPG

59061-_MG_2210.JPG.bbea13b4835a91cf37aec19dbf0eaf3c.JPG

good post, and opportune for me

i've sold off all my seated coinage and most of my gold so i can invest further in completing my bust half set. it's taken several years and it's only half complete, and i'm beginning to wonder if i should round it off and go on to something else, but something much more affordable and small in terms of the numbers of coins that have to go into them.

i'm thinking of

proof mercury dimes

bust half dimes in au

bust half dimes in ms ???? (then it's costing money, which i don't want to get into)

classic head half cents in au only

there are a lot of other coins that i like, but these (above) would prove very challenging to find really nice specimens with eye appeal in the grades i'm willing to pay for.

Scott, do you think that you will be able to convince NGC to add the provenance:

SCOTT'S BIRTH YEAR - BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE!

Chris

What... I shouldn't tell anyone that I am under 2 years away from being an AARP member? lol I have no problem with my age. All things considered, I am glad I made it this far! I look forward to a long and healthy membership with AARP... I like the discounts!! :applause:

And yes, I will ask for a provenance. Just not that one! :baiting:

I like the SAE. :) I didn't start buying them from the mint until 1999. :( I received the 1987, 88, and 90 Silver Eagles from my Dad's small collection after he pasted away. That started it all for me with the SAE. The coins from 2001 to 2008 are on their way back from NGC. And that only leaves 5 more to complete my collection as far as I can go with it. :applause: :applause: :applause: I am not including the 1995w because I can't afford that particular coin. Who can? (shrug)

I just recently started collecting the MS SAE. I started that one off with a BANG by buying the MS70 08 with reverse of 07 when NGC came out with the news of the variety. But I can't have it know. My wife let me check it out once when I got it, then put it away until Father's Day! Only a few more days to go!!

classic head half cents in au only

That would be an awesome set, Mike! I've thought about it myself but can't afford it while working on my type set.

Anything i can find .. but my 7070 type set has been getting better of late and of course shield nickles which seem to have been thin on the ground of late // or receiving more interest by others of late (prices up) hm

The first couple in a long wile

They are due in the post tomorrow :cloud9:

fc5e_1-1.jpg

fcb8_1-1.jpg

31e3_1-1.jpg

324d_1.jpg

I like to think of myself as worldy-wise. :)

So I've started collecting modern silver from various countries, not the colored stuff just brits, kanagaroos, pandas, maple leafs, phlharmonics, some commems that interest me, etc. I really like the look of some of the things from other mints.

I have a long term goal on german Talers, to "fill-out" the coins my wife's grandfather brought with him to the US.

For US stuff, moderns, and an 1897 "type" set in MS60-MS63, that match the double-eagle left behind by said grandfather.

I've hoarded for quite some time since my early childhood collecting days and then off an on about every three years I would work at it an lay it to rest for another brief period as I have had a very busy life pulling in several directions at once . About the end of 2003 , I got interested in finishing some sets and finally breaking and purchasing a few TPG graded and slabbed coins . Around the end of 2004 , I finally joined here after lurking and reading posts for about a year.

Up until now I have continued pursuing Full step Jefferson Nickels , completed and sold a FBL Franklin set(minus 53S) , and built and sold a modern commem set ( less bi-metallic ) .

What I am actively working on at the moment , however, is a Raw set of Walkers in grades between Good and Very Good . I read many posts by some of the board members about how it can be a challenge to put together a set of circulated coins that are both problem free and balance each other well versus compiling MS coins .

I looked at many sets and have read as much as possible(WYNTK )and books on my own and decided to stick within this grade range as a learning method . I never liked the Walking Liberty half-dollars ....always thought the figure of liberty looked kinda robotic and stiff with her neck broken and head twisted around....but then I looked at Bob 'supertooth's' set and realized that , when balanced well , those big slugs can be impressive .

I have grown to also like toned coins that display vibrant colors like some of TomB's quarters on his web page displays ( I've always enjoyed seeing Shane's (Kryptonite) 'monster' rainbows too ) , but I only have a few in each denomination with complimentary toning , so that will be the next project ...a toned type set of US coinage .

Machuga reintroduced me to pool/ 9ball and so I've sort of spent a lot of quarters lately ....maybe at the next FUN show he can teach me how to hold the Cue and look dignified like Shane did....I've improved , but still not anywhere as good as Chris.....result?=shrinking quarter hoard .

On a side note for ya Michael , no luck so far on the mighty 'Sword-in-Hand" note for the note collection but you have given me a real challenge to acquire one .

...............but I have taken a side step into foreign coins , mostly due to how overwhelmingly enthused a world coinage collector from this site is about it .

I started a set of Italian coins ( mostly half and quarter Lira's because , if you remember the 'cookie monster' Hayden Tubbs ( who caused quite a stir a long while back and sort of dropped from posting) had posted one and covered or 'censored' the Nude guy with the big hammer pounding on the anvil . I figured I would try to acquire a complete set of these artistic looking coins before they disappear from the market due to the Euro's and other consortiums changing the world coin market.

That's about where I am at at the present . This coin bulletin board has caused me to have to stop and take a different look at my version of the hobby , and through other member's ideas , I am constantly enriching my experience .

Machuga reintroduced me to pool/ 9ball and so I've sort of spent a lot of quarters lately ....maybe at the next FUN show he can teach me how to hold the Cue and look dignified like Shane did....I've improved , but still not anywhere as good as Chris.....result?=shrinking quarter hoard .

Maybe you, Shane, J.T. Stanton and I could get together for dinner and some pool afterward at the next FUN. I'd look forward to it!

Chris

PS. But, I usually play on 9' tables.

It seems I may be getting into the '65-67 SMS sets. :) I'm also strongly considering spending a few bucks on a 1986 PF69UC set for my birthyear.