• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It Might Be 125 Year Old, But I Can Still Get You A Bargain!

10 posts in this topic

On May 24, 1883, thousands of people crowded lower Manhattan and Brooklyn for the grandest of all ceremonies from all over the area—even as far away as Philadelphia. Dignitaries gathered at the armory of the Seventh Regiment on Park Avenue to board carriages to join a colour guard, a 70-piece band, and a 22-piece drum corp for the festivities. Forty mounted police officers accompanied the parade.

The list of dignitaries was a Who’s Who of the political America that included President Chester A. Arthur, New York Governor Grover Cleveland, and New York City Mayor Franklin Edson. The carriage carrying President Arthur and Mayor Edson lead the parade surrounded by a very large cheering crowd.

At 1:50 PM, the processional arrived at the entrance of the new bridge, President Arthur and Mayor Edson left their carriage and crossed what was the world’s longest suspension bridge arm-in-arm to a cheering crowd who paid $2 for tickets to watch from the bridge.

The band played Hail to the Chief as ships who came to the ceremony and anchored around the East River blew horns to honor the President. Navy ships who were invited to the ceremonies took turns giving 21-gun salutes.

Present Arthur and Mayor Edson were joined by Brooklyn Mayor Seth Low when they arrived on the other side of the new bridge. The three men locked arms and marched to the Brooklyn Pier to complete the ceremony dedicating the Brooklyn Bridge to the people of the New York City and Brooklyn.

To honor the bridge that everyone owns (and let me know if you want it, I can get you a good deal! lol ) I am attaching the image a bronze medal I found a while ago for my New York Collection. It was made by the Medallic Arts Company for Brooklyn Union Gas (later KeySpan, now National Grid) as a souvenir. Bronze medals were given to some employees and available for sale to Brooklyn Union Gas customers. Silver medals were made for the executives.

Happy Birthday to the 125 year old engineering marvel that helped tie Brooklyn to New York City.

Scott :hi:

58913-Brooklyn-Bridge-Centennial2.jpg.4b36358c17fee4bcca9898bdfeb1b901.jpg

When the new bridge opened in Charleston a couple of years ago, there were similar festivities. The entire city just about shut down for an entire week in July. There were free concerts (Hootie and the Blowfish was one, they are from Charleston), picnics, fireworks, and all kinds of parties. Tens of thousands of people came to walk over the bridge before it was opened to cars. On the final night of the party it culminated with the largest fireworks display I've ever seen. It was absolutely fantastic! I got a medal that they were giving out to people who walked over the bridge, I don't have a picture of it, but it was made of aluminum.

Cool story there Scott! Have you been looking to see if you can ever find a silver one?
From the information I have been able to find, there were 25 silver medals made. The silver medals have the same design but are 40mm in diameter--the bronze medals are 50mm. I do not know what happened to them and have not found any.

I also saw a reference that there may be a small number of gold-plated bronze medals. But it was only one reference and it was questionable whether they plated the 50mm bronze medal or a smaller version.

At some point I will try to contact Medallic Art Company and see what the can tell me.

Scott :hi:

I believe the Medallic Art Company changed hands at least once through the 1980s and 1990s and that if you want information regarding issues older than that time period that the current company does not answer that information.

Unfortunately,

What TomB said.

The Medallic Art Company did a lot of the reductions for the Classic Commemorative series.

It's very sad to see important history disappear.