• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When was this coin slabbed/certified by NGC?

11 posts in this topic

Is there a way to learn when an NGC certification was done?

NGC offers a grading guarantee but it has some limitations, among them:

"The NGC Guarantee does not apply to copper, bronze or copper nickel coins graded by NGC prior to April 1, 2000. To the extent that the NGC Guarantee applies to copper, bronze, or copper nickel coins, the NGC Guarantee expires with respect to such coin(s) on the ten year anniversary of the date of encapsulation by NGC."

PCGS BB'd a $3,000 early Lincoln of mine, in a crossover attempt. Said "artificial color". I wonder...

1913-D 65RD NGC

There's no way of telling, as far as I know. If we could see a picture of the slab, we could give you a rough estimate, but that's about it.

So NGC's certification numbers are not sequential, in a time line? It seems clear that cert 234,567 was slabbed much earlier than 1,234,567, based on the many NGC slabs I've seen. But is that always the case?

NGC must know when grading was done. Is it available to the public? How else can we know whether the guarantee is in effect? (I'm guessing the cert# stays with the coin even if it is re-slabbed for a new holder, e.g.).

I'll have to wait for the coin to return from PCGS to shoot a slab pic.

I don't know if the NGC numbers are exactly sequential or not, but I believe they are roughly sequential. A number of 234567 would equate to an older fattie holder that would have been issued in the early or mid-1990s. Of course NGC knows when each coin was graded, but neither they nor PCGS allow this information to be shared with the general public. The NGC guarantee on copper goes from some point in 2000, I believe, so you may be able to get a good idea of when the coin was slabbed by using the reference work of Conder101, who was able to put together an approximate timeline of slab styles for the grading companies. As for the PCGS bag well, that would not matter to NGC since that is only the opinion of PCGS and does not reflect any change in the coin.

You can call up NGC and ask them if the guarantee is in force for this coin.

The cert number does not indicate when it was graded. The cert number corresponds to the invoice number, so you could submit a coin today on a 20 year old invoice and have a really low cert number.

The coin looks good to me. A nice mellow color. Maybe call NGC's customer service and talk to them, from what I hear they have really good people on the other end of the phone.

Thanks, Tom.

Of course you are correct about the PCGS opinion. NGC might very well stick to their guns. It's just a little unsettling and I figured if NGC took another look-see and said "it looks fine to us" I would feel better about the coin's future, if you get my drift.

FWIW, PCGS is very tough on copper. Five of eight crossover attempts -- all pre-1914 high grade MS Lincolns, were denied. Couldn't meet or beat the NGC grade. This one was BB'd, and two crossed at the same grade.

I really don't want to play the crack-out game. It's very risky and it skews pop reports (okay, they're already skewed but none of us likes it). But I would like NGC to re-examine them and the slab date is obviously important.

If slab dates must be confidential for whatever reasons, then at the very least we should be able to determine whether the NGC guarantee is in effect or not, wouldn't you agree?

I'll look around for reference works on timelines. Thanks for the pointer.

And I'll call NGC, as advised. Good idea. Just too bad this stuff isn't online.

Very interesting link there, Tom. Thanks Condor. Of course, me being the obsessive person that I am, I might have to go through and attribute all my slabs. I apparently have a couple of NGC 7s and 1 NGC 9, nothing all that rare, but cool info I never knew before.

PCGS BB'd a $3,000 early Lincoln of mine, in a crossover attempt. Said "artificial color". I wonder...

PCGS is just awful at differentiating original copper from stuff that's been played with. You see literally thousands of recolored copper coins in PCGS slabs, yet they reject extremely carefully and fully stable recolored coins. Makes no sense, except that I guess they need to cover for their grading guarantee.

The infamous "Norweb Hibernia" was bright pink when I bought it. And even though it was a horribly obvious doctoring job, they still put it into a new slab during the ordeal. David Hall personally stated that it was a "totally original coin".

I believe that NGC issues slabbing invoices, which become slab numbers, in numerical order. I still have several older invoices in my coin paperwork drawer, dating back 4-5 years. Some of my earlier, unsubmitted invoices would be way out of sequence if I submitted them.