• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IN MEMORY OF THOSE - Memorial Day

33 posts in this topic

[font:Comic Sans MS] IN MEMORY OF THOSE... [/font]

civilwardollarprfobv.jpgcivilwardollarprfrev.jpg

It began on April 19, 1775 at the battle of Lexington and Concord. Just after sunrise, on that fateful spring morning, the blood of the first American patriots was spilled. It was this famous revolutionary battle that was preceded by the midnight ride of Paul Revere and made immortal by the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson, who wrote:

"By the rude bridge that arched the flood

Their flag to April's breeze unfurled

Here once the embattled farmers stood

And fired the shot heard round the world."

The battle of Lexington and Concord marked the beginning of America's war for independence. From that day until this, many of our men and women have willingly given their lives for the cause of freedom – in many wars, on many continents, with varying degrees of support from the home front.

Today, in the Middle East, thousands of United States soldiers are fighting to protect the values and freedoms that we too often take for granted. Please set aside time this week to pray for spiritual healing for our nation, wisdom for our leaders, and safety for our soldiers fighting overseas. This Memorial Day don't forget to take time to honor those who have given their lives for the cause of freedom.

"It is, in a way, an odd thing to honor those who died in defense of our country, in defense of us, in wars afar away. The imagination plays a trick. We see these soldiers in our mind as old and wise. We see them as something like the Founding Fathers, grave and gray-haired. But most of them were boys when they died, and they gave up two lives, the one they were living and the one they would have lived. When they died, they gave up their chance to be husbands and fathers and grandfathers. They gave up their chance to be revered old men. They gave up everything for our country, for us. And all we can do is remember." - Ronald Reagan

58765-ys07_01.jpg.fa7834ec0d2e623bcadad2158477632e.jpg

58766-ys07_02.jpg.535995f8b88d5c3a84ddeb2e92d63eae.jpg

Almost like collecting coins, only not quite.

ArmyMedalsetc.jpg

My dad was Asst. Provost Marshall, 385th Military Police Btn under Gen. James Gavin, through the Battle of the Bulge and the Occupation of Berlin in 1945. I was with the 1st Battle Group (Mechanized), 8th Inf Reg, 4th Inf Div, Expeditionary Force (on the DMZ in Fulda Gap on the Czech Border) in conjunction with the 1st Armored Cavalry and in the Army of Occupation (gun jeep patrol at Checkpoint Charlie), Berlin in 1962.

"This We'll Defend"- Army Motto

"From these honored dead we may take increased devotion to the cause that they gave the last full measure of devotion"-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19th, 1863.

I'm proud to have served and even prouder of those currently on deployment now protecting my freedom!!! My prayers go out to them and their families.!!

(thumbs u

Img23255A.jpg

Img18131A.jpg

Img18133a.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

jeffersoncommemobvA.jpg

11599558.jpg

[font:Arial Black] [/font] "War drew us from our homeland

In the sunlit springtime of our youth.

Those who did not come back alive remain

in perpetual springtime -- forever young --

And a part of them is with us always."

-- Author Unknown

memorial-day-2008-002-1.jpg

In honor of all who served and those who made the supreme sacrifice.

Joseph P. Machuga

CPL, USA

CO H, 314th INF, 79th DIV

Combat Medic

Normandy Invasion Force - Omaha Beach

Purple Heart w/Oak Leak Cluster

Bronze Star w/Oak Leaf Cluster

POW, Stalag IIA, XIB

Interred at Arlington National Cemetery

Lee, Navy medals are different than Army. Other than red Good Conduct Medal (Army's are red with 3-white stripes at each end) and National Defense Medal, what are others?

Lee, Navy medals are different than Army. Other than red Good Conduct Medal (Army's are red with 3-white stripes at each end) and National Defense Medal, what are others?

Img23255A.jpg

Appreciate the question! :) From the top left:

Navy Commendation

Navy Achievement

Navy Unit Commendation

Meritorius Unit Commendation

Good Conduct

National Defense

Southwest Asia Service

Armed Forces Service

Sea Service Deployment

NATO

Kuwait Liberation (Saudi Arabia)

Kuwait Liberation (Kuwait)

Well the only medals I got were Rifle Sharpshooter & expert grenade. I was in the US Army in 1977, stationed in germany for a couple yrs..

Well the only medals I got were Rifle Sharpshooter & expert grenade. I was in the US Army in 1977, stationed in germany for a couple yrs..

What? No Good Conduct Medal? You should've stayed out of those German bars.

Chris

What? No Good Conduct Medal? You should've stayed out of those German bars.

Chris

I thought that was a tradition? lol

My two years in the Army produced these ribbons and I can't tell you what they all stand for :( Top line CIB Combat Infantrymans Badge, 2nd line Unit citation, purple heart, ??? bottom line good conduct medal, vietnam service medal and ????. A memory is a terrible thing to waste :)

RIMG0299.jpg

Dedicated to my brothers who didn't come home :(

This was my first ship as a young buck of 17 in 1975. Hard to believe it's been over 30 years ago. My first cruise we were involved in the Belknap collision at sea. Very sad day for all.

untitled-1.jpg

I remember in 1986 when we (USS Nimitz CVN 68) relieve the USS Kennedy in the Mediterranian Ocean.

There were Russian ships hanging all around and they would drift in as close as possible to mess with us.

Were you onboard then?

I remember in 1986 when we (USS Nimitz CVN 68) relieve the USS Kennedy in the Mediterranian Ocean.

There were Russian ships hanging all around and they would drift in as close as possible to mess with us.

Were you onboard then?

I remember the "Cold War" very well Victor. :) I served on the Nimitz from 78-80. In 1986 I was on Instructor Duty at Cecil Field, Florida teaching Nuke Weapons Loading. :o

My two years in the Army produced these ribbons and I can't tell you what they all stand for :( Top line CIB Combat Infantrymans Badge, 2nd line Unit citation, purple heart, ??? bottom line good conduct medal, vietnam service medal and ????. A memory is a terrible thing to waste :)

RIMG0299.jpg

Dedicated to my brothers who didn't come home :(

Even more love and respect to a dedicated veteran. I have my ribbons/medals somewhere, I'll have to find them and scan them ans post them. Some are cheesy, ssome are real. Nothing special like a PH. My BBB Ron, much respect to you!!

I lost my expert medals for shooting (M1, M14, .45 Auto) and don't have our Presidential Unit Citation any more but it was for the Ivy Division at the Normandy Invasion (I wasn't there anyhow) and the other was for the Cuban Crisis (I was there, in Florida going to Guantanimo to reinforce the Marines). I don't remember where these citations went. Too long ago anyhow.

The point is, bless our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for their bravery and may they serve and come home safely, no matter how we at home feel about the war.

my sincerest gratitude to all of you who have served....

and also to my late father who served two tours in a foreign war . The flag folded in its triangular case also holding his medals ( which include 2 overseas service medals andf a purple heart among others) are a greater treasure to me than any of my coins...

USN 1984-1990 (Got out one day before the Kuwait Invasion.)

In for 6 yrs. you must've been a nuke.

I served damn near the same time on the USS Barb as an ELT. 1986-1991 (I got out early as a disabled vet or I would've been in for 6 as well.

Hats off to all that serve and have served and even paid the ultimate price. (thumbs u

We who are left how shall we look again

Happily on the sun or feel the rain

Without remembering how they who went

Ungrudgingly and spent

Their lives for us loved, too, the sun and rain?

~Wilfred Wilson Gibson

I have misplaced my images of my Father's Naval Medals but I am so proud to have them. Another treasure that I have that is so special to me, especially during this Memorial Day Weekend, is the American Flag with 48 Stars that he proudly flew over his post in the Aluetians during the war. (with the Texas Flag underneath).

Thank you to all past and present Military Personnel.

Rey

Go back a little further to December 7, 1941 and remember those who died in a brutal attack:

58874-2006-Pearl-Harbor-65th-Anni.jpg.056e2a0031b4e9a13752f43f624aa9b6.jpg

In for 6 yrs. you must've been a nuke.

(thumbs u

Yep, and there's a few of us on these boards. :banana:

USN 1986 - 1992

4 years 1 month and 27 days aboard USS Enterprise

I Plant MM1

For those of you who don't know, there are 4 plants on the "BIG E" and 8reactors. Yep, I was a nuke too, still am kinda... just on land.