• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New pics old coin, Bargain Basement Battle Creek.

18 posts in this topic

Since we've had a thread on here about the value of toning on a (BC) coin I just wanted to point out that not every BC coin was a through the roof wallet buster. Here's one I got out of the second auction for $489. Needless to say, I was VERY happy to get it for that price. It is a MS66*, and is very clean for the grade. What may look like nicks etc. are actually toning breaks. The only nick is a small one about 4 o'clock to Liberty's mouth. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

1138_66_489BobR.jpg

1138_66_489Bob2.jpg

1138_66_489Bob.jpg

Very pretty coin!

One question from someone who's ignorant of the toned morgan market: What does a regular 66 go for (i.e. how much of a pedigree/toning/* premium was paid)?

Huh, I'm amused to see that this one has popped back up since I posted it 5/22 and it sank without a comment. Thank you for bringing it back Bruce(!), and thank you folks for the nice comments.

One question from someone who's ignorant of the toned morgan market: What does a regular 66 go for (i.e. how much of a pedigree/toning/* premium was paid)?

Mike, I couldn't really tell you, as I am NOT a Morgan collector. I'm a toner collector. The only reason I bought these (BC) Morgans was that I stumbled upon them at their first auction in Superior's booth at Santa Clara in July 2005, when I was checking out the show/bourse, and was TOTALLY blown away by the coins when I saw them in hand. I went to the BC2 auction in Long Beach (whence this coin came from) mainly because my wife of 17+ years had asked me to move out to the cottage a couple of weeks before the auction, AND a couple of days before the auction Superior's catalogue was delivered, so I said, "what the heck?", and went to check out the Long Beach show. I can tell you (from my notes) that NGC MS66 1986 Morgans AT THAT POINT IN TIME were at $275 on the Bluesheet, and MS66's were at $500 on the PCGS Price guide.

Very pretty coin!

Mike, the high sight-unseen dealer bid is currently $275 for NGC and PCGS MS66 common date Morgan Dollars. I just sold a pretty (not beautifully) toned one for $320 to a dealer.

Very pretty coin!

Mike, Most of the MS66 obverse toned Battle Creeks sell for well over $1,000 in the market today. In fact, Island has one MS66 @ $5,000 and two more MS65's @ $5,000. However, even though Sy's coin is really nice, I don't think it is comparable to the pieces in Island's inventory.

I own only two MS65 Battle Creeks and am not fortunate enough to have an MS66. I got both of my MS65's from a Hertiage Signature auction. Since Heritage's photos of toned coins stink, I think I got a great price on both. If I had to buy either one from either Island or Anaconda, I would have had to pay 30-40% more. Here is the one of my MS65's for which I paid $1,400 at auction. It should give you a pretty good idea of the great price that Sy got on his Battle Creek.

MorganDollar1886NGCMS65Star18657-2.jpgMorganDollar1886NGCMS65Star18657-4.jpg

Having said all that, I would not pay $1,400 for Sy's coin even though it is a higher grade. I would probably stop at $1,000 for that coin. Regardless of the price Sy, it is still a beautiful Battle Creek. Sy, I don't know how I missed this thread, but I to am glad that someone revived it.

What is a Battlecreek?

Battle Creek is a bogus pedigree, of gorgeous toner coins. Do a search on Battle Creek here and ATS and you'll find a gazillion threads. Basically there were 9 bags of Morgans (e.g. 9000 Morgans) that were sold at a sight unseen auction and they turned out to have some amazing coins in them. Bob's link is a good place to start.

There are some Battle Creeks coming up for bid on Teletrade during the next week, starting Sunday.

Those are the bad joke BC coins. Roughly 600 of the 1,400 that were slabbed should NEVER have gotten the star. Basically if it is graded "Uncirculated" forget about the coin.

Roughly 600 of the 1,400 that were slabbed should NEVER have gotten the star.

Based on what I've seen, alot of the star coins don't deserve the star, not just those from BC.

Oh please don't get me started on this topic. I could go on all day. I have sooo many coins that deserve a star and don't have one. I really wish that NGC would divulge the criteria they use for issuing a star. From what I have seen, I am not sure they have one. Below are two Morgan Dollars, which one deserves the star. I am not saying that I don't like the 1885, after all I did buy it, but 1885 is one of the most common dates with a large population of rainbow toners and this coin does not deserve a star IMO.

MorganDollar1885NGCMS65Star18350-1.jpgMorganDollar1881-SNGCMS651542036-1.jpg

As far as the Battle Creeks, I agree that many of them should not have been awarded a star simply because they belonged to a large submission of rainbow toned coins. The star designation should be individually awarded on each coin's merits, not as a marketing tool for a pedigreed collection. All NGC did by doing that was devalue the star designation and basically make it irrelevant for all of the mid level toned Battle Creeks.