• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts and Opinions on this coin??

32 posts in this topic

First off let me start by saying I have sorta taken a break from the forums as life had gotten a bit busy at the moment. Should have more time to post now. Anyhow picked this coin up last week at the TNA show in Ft. Worth. Grade thoughts as well as any other thoughts you wish to throw in. Comment and fire away!

bl1883md.jpg

bl1883mdo.jpg

bl1883mdr.jpg

That was a great pick up, Bruce! It's a solid 65 I'd say and would probably star at NGC is my most humble opinion.

That was a great pick up, Bruce! It's a solid 65 I'd say and would probably star at NGC is my most humble opinion.

Well that would be sweet, but I do not think that is the case. Do you like the toning? And one last thing what is the source of it?

I like the coin but the toning makes it difficult to grade because I am sure that it is hiding some marks. Although I only find the patina moderately attractive, I love any coin that displays a unique toning pattern. Therefore, I think it is great!

Please tell me that this is not another taco bell napkin toned coin. :o

I like the coin but the toning makes it difficult to grade because I am sure that it is hiding some marks. Although I only find the patina moderately attractive, I love any coin that displays a unique toning pattern. Therefore, I think it is great!

Please tell me that this is not another taco bell napkin toned coin. :o

HAHA no not at all. This is a recent show pickup. Taco Bell will not be repeated by me. Once in a lifetime mess up. That coin is a still a problem coin and will always be.

I like the toning Bruce, just a guess but it looks like a combination of envelope and album toning. I'll say 64 on the grade. ^^

I like the toning, but I won't hazard a guess as to what caused it. The '83 is known for strikes from sharp to average, but there appears to be some wear on the cotton bolls, leaves and Liberty's hair above the forehead. I can't tell if the toning is hiding some marks along Liberty's jaw............63/64.

Nice pick-up, Bruce!

Chris

I'm thinking at least 64 star. Man, I didn't know you were at the TNA. I was only able to go on Thursday... kinda expensive but you don't have to fight the crowds and you get to see the stuff before anyone else does. Also if the dealers recognize you they'll tend to deal better with you. Ever go to any of the Grapevine shows? I used to go to the Green Oaks shows, but they seem to have torn that down. Anyhow, cool coin, I like it! What did it set you back? Very nice pics by the way!

Its nice to see a Bruce Lee post again!

That coin has some real character... and, as usual the pics are perfect.

I'm going to agree with Chris and say 63/64, however the grade is not the story on this one.

Nice score!

Regardless of the source, this is not the kind of toning I like very much. It's OK, but personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

What does a normal white say MS63 (Just as a number) coin normally go for? Under 40? I would think so. Anyhow I bought this coin for 2 reasons. It seemed cheap in my eyes and looked very interesting. I will reveal more about it later on.

Regardless of the source, this is not the kind of toning I like very much. It's OK, but personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

What does a normal white say MS63 (Just as a number) coin normally go for? Under 40? I would think so. Anyhow I bought this coin for 2 reasons. It seemed cheap in my eyes and looked very interesting. I will reveal more about it later on.

At common MS-63, I'd be retailing it at most for $40. I'd be paying about $30 for them, not to try to rip off the public, but just to stay away from them. I guess that color might give a little boost to the retail price, but I still wouldn't pay more than $30.

I'm a cheapskate :) !

At common MS-63, I'd be retailing it at most for $40. I'd be paying about $30 for them, not to try to rip off the public, but just to stay away from them. I guess that color might give a little boost to the retail price, but I still wouldn't pay more than $30.

I'm a cheapskate :) !

LMAO... Well now that we are on the level playing field I will smile and nod :)

I like the toning, but I won't hazard a guess as to what caused it. The '83 is known for strikes from sharp to average, but there appears to be some wear on the cotton bolls, leaves and Liberty's hair above the forehead. I can't tell if the toning is hiding some marks along Liberty's jaw............63/64.

Nice pick-up, Bruce!

Chris

confused.gif O.K. Chris, you have officially confused me (admittedly, not a hard thing to do). If it appears to have wear, why did you give it a 63/64?

I'm thinking at least 64 star. Man, I didn't know you were at the TNA. I was only able to go on Thursday... kinda expensive but you don't have to fight the crowds and you get to see the stuff before anyone else does. Also if the dealers recognize you they'll tend to deal better with you. Ever go to any of the Grapevine shows? I used to go to the Green Oaks shows, but they seem to have torn that down. Anyhow, cool coin, I like it! What did it set you back? Very nice pics by the way!

I was there on Friday so looks like you missed one. ;) I have yet to make it out to grapevine yet, but soon will. Also thanks for the comments on the pics. :)

Nice pick-up, Bruce!

Chris

confused.gif O.K. Chris, you have officially confused me (admittedly, not a hard thing to do). If it appears to have wear, why did you give it a 63/64?

I can answer that for him maybe. I think what he means is friction not true wear from circulation.

Nice to see you back to posting again Bruce…”Holy Target Toning, Batman”

(but just on the reverse…with the entire obverse toned, interesting)

Top coin on a stack of Morgans with obverse facing up or the one on the bottom of a stack, with the obverse facing down. (shrug)

I guess nobody is bothered by the fingerprints?

Not I.

I happen to think they add character, unless they are overly obtrusive.

The prints are somewhat subdued and don't JUMP out like some I've seen...these partial prints (CSI speak) are acceptable.

There's nothing that bothers me about the coin, even the weakness over the ear. It still looks like a nice 65 to me unless the pics are covering something up.

Hi Bruce! Good to see you posting again.

I'd say PCGS MS64, NGC MS65. It's a bit dark for my taste, but a pleasant looking coin.

Nah! I ran them through NCIC, and they're clean.

Chris

Nice pick-up, Bruce!

Chris

I can answer that for him maybe. I think what he means is friction not true wear from circulation.

I'll admit that I would never make a good politician. Rather than paint himself into a corner, a politician would probably have said, "lack of detail". Whether that lack of detail was caused by a few days of circulation 125 years ago or laying around in a bag for 100+ years is not for me to say.

Even if I had the coin in hand, it would be hard for me to determine the true cause beneath all of the toning. There does appear to be a lot of luster on both sides, and I see no reason why it shouldn't grade MS by current standards. If there are marks along the jaw that are hidden by the toning (and I neglected to mention the vertical mark in the field in front of Liberty and what might be a nick above the eye), then MS63/64 would be appropriate by today's standards.

Chris

I agree on 63/64. But hard to tell from the toning. I don't think it will star, but I don't have the coin in my hand so I really can't say.

From what I have heard is that NGC will not give out the star designation to a coin with any dark or black toning on the coin. (shrug)

63/64....a little dark for my taste and the coin has no shot at a star from NGC unless you can get it linked to the battle creek pedigree (thumbs u

I'll admit that I would never make a good politician.

Chris

That makes you O.K. in my book!! :grin:

Thanks for the explanation. :)