• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle

16 posts in this topic

I'm sure a lot of us are excited for this coin next year, I know I am! I have read somewhere that there will be a Palladium version. Is this also going to be made? I have only read one article about this and have had no luck finding more info. Does anyone know more of this?

I'm sure a lot of us are excited for this coin next year, I know I am! I have read somewhere that there will be a Palladium version. Is this also going to be made? I have only read one article about this and have had no luck finding more info. Does anyone know more of this?

The original press release from the US Mint is incorrect. Congress has already said that Treasury's lawyers misinterpreted the law. To rectify the situation H.R. 5614 was introduced in the House and S. 2924 in the Senate. Both bills are identical.

Last week, the house voted 415-0 to pass H.R. 5614. S. 2924 is still in committee.

The bill calls for the piefort version of the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle as outlined by US Mint Directory Edmund Moy. If the one of the bills pass and is signed by the President, 2009 coins will be struck in 24-karat gold only. Starting in 2010, coins may be struck in .995 fine palladium in addition to 24-karat gold.

I hope that helps.

Scott :hi:

Scott (or anyone else) - I hadn't heard about the palladinum. What's the point of minting it in that metal, other than it being worth about half of gold?

I'd like to see one struck in Rhodium (a heavy metal mined with platinum). It is only $9000/oz right now. :o

Scott (or anyone else) - I hadn't heard about the palladinum. What's the point of minting it in that metal, other than it being worth about half of gold?
It's a metal that is cheaper than gold, more expensive than silver, and seen as a metal that the more budget minded investor could use to add to their portfolio. Palladium is silver-white in color that is similar to platinum. Canada and Australia are two of the world mints that are producing Palladium-based coins.

Scott :hi:

I think this would be a great chance for US Mint to add palladium to its bullion list. I know I will like to have one if made. Just add another to the wish list

Pure palladium looks more like nickel than it does silver or platinum. Striking these is meaningless and nothing but a boost for the country's only palladium producer - Stillwater Mining Company - in Montana , and a boondoggle for everyone else in the production/sales/purchasing chain.

I know its probably listed somewhere on these boards... But, does anyone know what the limit may be on these?

Zero, I'm pretty sure the legislation for the palladium version was never approved.