• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding proper forum etiquette

28 posts in this topic

How do the membership here, as well as the moderators, feel about folks coming here and "showing off" their stuff with the intent of marketing their inventory for sale.

I am specifically talking about the non-Marketplace forums, and I am addressing this question to dealers and collectors alike.

In a different thread, I posted that I like it here because it has a "sleepy", home town feel that I find very appealing. Perhaps I like this place a bit too much, but I take great exception to folks coming here to prey on the membership.

Lest I be misunderstood, I am not talking about the likes of Greg, MM, Dakra, et al, who were banned from across the street but are here now full-time as highly respected members solely because they contribute in a positive way. (That is, they aren't here for the primary intent to sell to the membership.)

EVP

EVP- I don't appreciate that either. Coin Collectors, on the whole, are a pretty smart group of people and it doesn't take long to figure the objectives and agendas of some of these posters.

One, across the street, will post a "So, What Do You Think?" Thread and sure enough, like clockwork, there is the same coin featured on eBay the next week.

No one is being fooled in the long run and the poster's credibility is weakened at their feeble attempt to gain popularity.

Pat,

I've been told that that kind of hawking one's wares is inappropriate and unprofessional if you're a major coin dealer. I don't fully understand the reasons for that, but it sure feels to me like it's inappropriate and unprofessional.

Perhaps it has something to do with hucksterism and that if you're a bona fide coin dealer, then you should be very up front with your merchandising. It all smacks of a weasely, mealymouthing behavior that makes me look askance at that kind of person...

EVP

Personally, I'm not thrilled with people trying to hawk their goods in the main coin forums or trying to promote themselves/business in the main coin forums, obviously there is a forum to sell.

One thing I would love to see, is the "Market Place" forum split. From time to time I see a coin I might like to buy, click on the message only to find that it is an ebay auction. I'd rather see the market place showing "Coins For Sale" and "Coin Auctions".

-Dave

Using the non-marketplace forums to sell coins is improper. But if a dealer/seller is participating in the forums at large and is posting pictures of great coins, talking about them, but not referencing them for sale, then I think their posts are legitimate. That's good and fine by me.

As for the marketplace, it's simply that - a place for collectors, sellers (as I term it, these are collectors who also sell some stuff), and dealers to post notice of coins for sale. The venue of sale (personal sale, dealer sale, auction) is up to the poster and the choice to read the post or act upon it is up to the reader (if you don't like the wares or the venue, then simply click on by). I have found stuff in the marketplace that I otherwise would have missed out there in cyberland, so I appreciate the forum just as it is. I believe the only abuse of this forum would be the use of it by professional advertisers who essentially spam the forum. So far, I have not seen anything like that.

A little while back on the CU forum there was a post complaining about people who use the BST forum but otherwise don't contribute to the other forums. I find this kind of prejudice preposterous. On one hand, people complain about dealers posting anything in the regular forums and on the other hand people who limit their advertisement to the BST forum are criticized. makepoint.gif I hope there is not such an attitude around here.

Hoot

I think it sucks and they are the type of dealers I wouldn't want to do business with. There is one dealer here who has done nothing but post ads in the Marketplace forum. There is another who only seems to post a link in the Coin forum to his web site.

I will admit that across the street I have posted a handful of coins with questions on what people thought or just to show off and have sold them as a direct result of that thread. Selling them to forum members was never my original intention and I never made a habit of it.

And I will admit that I did post a couple of times in the registry forum asking opinions about price for coins I was looking to sell and hopefully get a few potential buyers to take notice. However, that forum allows selling, so I feel that it was an OK way of handling the situation, especially since I didn't know how to price the coins.

I hope this place doesn't become like across the street where the coin forum is full of those fake "look at this coin/eBay auction" posts or the ones where one buddy links another buddy's auction which happens way too frequently. I also hope it doesn't become like across the street where a poster like Anaconda can't post a picture of a monster $100,000 coin just because he has it for sale on eBay and a few forum members stupidly think he is drumming for business.

Is it ok to hawk them if you made them, were the underbidder or made 5 out the last ten? Well maybe not I'll put them on the Registry Forum and call them Registry quality coins. 27_laughing.gif

I agree completely that there is a place for advertising your wares - this is not it.

But as for the posts about an ebay auction - or just a coin for sale - as long as it is posted in the proper forum - I have no problem with it.

I don't appreciate the obvious or thinly veiled attempts to sell coins under the guise of simply showing them off. Most likely, we all know this type of post.

On the other hand, does my link to my web page get people ticked off? confused.gif It's very low-key and more for educational purposes than actual selling.

I agree 100%. I am a collector that frankly have learned a lot from you, EVP. Thank-you. These forums are for what they are.....sharing and educating. There is a place to sell your wares and this is not that place. I suppose I am guilty of being less than intellegent as we all are at times, are but I won't try to sell here. I come here to learn and to share and wish that everyone else would do the same.

I don't really see a problem with it yet on this forum.... But if one poster starts to post alot of ebay auctions... then it could be a potienal problem.. I like the way the forums are very informative and if you need a questiob answered or something like that you can get it very fast.... Just in the few days I have been posting and reading I have seen alot of very usefull information... I do like getting to see what other people have aquired.. I always like to look at other coins... I think this board has a good mix of people ... collectors / dealers which makes for conversation. I know my views might be alittle different since I am younger than most in this hobby, but I still like to know learn as much as possible...

Tom: I have never seen you link your site in order to promote selling coins. What I remember is links to St. Gauden's work etc. I certainly have no problem with these links and have in fact enjoyed reading and looking at the art information on your site.

On the other hand, does my link to my web page get people ticked off? confused.gif It's very low-key and more for educational purposes than actual selling.

No. We only get upset when Mark Feld does it. devil.gifhi.gif

Personally, links don't really bother me even if they are links outright designed for sales AS LONG AS the posts made are on topic. None of this, TTT stuff, or thumbsup2.gif or similar meaningless posts.

I don't think the US Coin Forum is the place to put things that are for sale, directly. Keep that stuff over on the Marketplace.

What I've caught myself doing, and I've probably done this 6-12 times in three years is that if a certain type of coin is being discussed, and I happen to have that particular coin listed on Ebay, I'll link the coin. I may include a "shameless plug" comment, but I don't see the harm in that, especially if that particular item was being discussed.

It recently happened with an 1861 seated half that a member was considering purchasing in au/58, and I had one in a pcgs ms/61 holder. I linked my coin to that thread.

If anyone had a problem with that, they never PM'ed me about it, and I didn't get flamed in the thread.

If anyone had a problem with that, they never PM'ed me about it, and I didn't get flamed in the thread.

My guess is that most of us considered who the poster is (you) and your likely overall intent for being here. In general, I'd say that the ones who regularly make positive contributions to a place are allowed the occasional minor transgression. After all, no one is expected to be 100% perfect!

EVP

No. We only get upset when Mark Feld does it. devil.gifhi.gif

Personally, links don't really bother me even if they are links outright designed for sales AS LONG AS the posts made are on topic. None of this, TTT stuff, or thumbsup2.gif or similar meaningless posts.

The funny deal about that whole debacle (over on the PCGS Registry forum a few weeks ago) was that it was Mark who questioned the validity and ethics of selling coins on the Registry forum. NO ONE here, or there mocked him for his sig line (LINK to his website) up to that point and it was only referenced as the hypocrisy seemed kind of "in your face".

I see no issue whatsoever with a website link to a signature line. Does anyone? I doubt it.

I've posted a few images here. If/when I've crossed the line, I'd appreciate being informed about it (flame away). Just for the record, haven't sold or attempted to sell any coins I've posted . Besides that, I'm definitely a collector #1 and a dealer #2.

James

I notice that some people list "My Ebay Coins" at the bottom of their posts without proffering them in the body of their posts. I find this acceptable, but do not like posting coins strictly for a direct sales pitch.

How do the membership here, as well as the moderators, feel about folks coming here and "showing off" their stuff with the intent of marketing their inventory for sale.

How do I feel? I feel like taking a shower to wash off the slime. Other than that, I have no strong feelings on the matter.

boo.gif

Beijim

Neither James nor I link our web site in our signature lines. In fact most people here do not even know that James and I are co-owners of Jade Rare Coin.

In addition, I have never listed coins in the marketplace forum here at ngccoin.com. I think the same is true for James. Actually, I never thought about the forum being a place for doing business. I like to ask questions and I like to answer questions when asked about our specialties.

Our other Jade Rare Coin policies about marketing: no spam email.......ever and no unsolicited junk mail. I log into the forum for entertainment, not business. That's my response to proper forum etiquette. Now if they ever opened a dealer only forum......well, then that's a different story.

Good thread EVP. Thanks for starting it.

Oldtrader3, actually, that's not accurate any more. We've closed up shop at Jade Coin and opened up a new business called "Norweb Hibernia's, Unlimited". We will be specializing in colonial coins that are not imaged in the Norweb auction catalog. Most of the coins will be doctored.

James

collector #1 and a dealer #2.

Aren't they mutually exclusive? devil.gif

We've closed up shop at Jade Coin and opened up a new business called "Norweb Hibernia's, Unlimited". We will be specializing in colonial coins that are not imaged in the Norweb auction catalog. Most of the coins will be doctored.

How about a business called "PCGS ScrewUps R' US" There might be more coins available to sell.

Michael

Dennis: No offense, but everyone (!!) here knows that you and James own Jade Coin! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess you are right, considering all of the threads on the whole Norweb fiasco. My point is that I try to not mention "Jade" in my posts.

Agree with most sentiments expressed but, it is a thin line between "hawking" and showing some really nice stuff that might be both educational and way out of the financial ballpark for a lot of people. Where else are you going to be able to look at such nice coins in your pajamas?

Oldtrader3, actually, that's not accurate any more. We've closed up shop at Jade Coin and opened up a new business called "Norweb Hibernia's, Unlimited". We will be specializing in colonial coins that are not imaged in the Norweb auction catalog. Most of the coins will be doctored.

sign-funnypost.gif