• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Market Value of this Coin--1886 Morgan NGC MS64*

39 posts in this topic

Hey guys, Am I really that far off with my $800.00 estimate?
You sell a lot more coins, toned and not than the rest of us do. So, if you say you're thinking $800 then I'd lean more toward your price. I'm thinking people are shooting out prices they'd feel comfortable paying. Just cuz I'm comfortable paying a certain price for a coin doesn't mean I'm going to win at that price, I lose a lot more than I win but I always stick to my prices.

I have owned several BC's and had a MS64 Reverse toner that I thought was quite attractive and I think I paid $400 for it. I would say your coin is worth around $500 from the images but in hand....maybe I would go higher. I have sold a lot of toned coins including my entire collection of toners and that's what I would expect to get for it via Ebay or Heritage but I would expect to have to pay several hundred dollars more if purchased from a toned coin dealer so....closer to what braddick posted as far as a purchase price.

Hey guys, Am I really that far off with my $800.00 estimate?
You sell a lot more coins, toned and not than the rest of us do. So, if you say you're thinking $800 then I'd lean more toward your price. I'm thinking people are shooting out prices they'd feel comfortable paying. Just cuz I'm comfortable paying a certain price for a coin doesn't mean I'm going to win at that price, I lose a lot more than I win but I always stick to my prices.

I think that this comment is right on point. The values listed in this thread are what everyone would want to pay for the coin. Understandably, the actual price of the coin will be driven higher by the people who would pay the higher prices. I consider previous auction prices the best indicator of value, therefore I will consider the market value of the coin the hammer price at auction. When this coin originally sold at auction, the hammer price was around $850.

We should also remember that my photographic skills are mediocre at best. My photos show the surfaces pretty well, but they certainly don't do the colors of this coin justice. If my coin had been imaged by someone like Bob who imaged Sy's coin, I think the values listed in this thread would be considerably higher.

When trying to sell toned coins, pictures make a huge difference. Especially with eBay auctions. The results can be multiples of an auction with bad pics.

1887-rev762.jpg

1887-rev763.jpg

Sky, would you be kind enough to post a photo of the obverse?

Chris

Take your pick. Here are 5 different views of it.

1887-obv767.jpg

1887-obv768.jpg

1887-obv769.jpg

1887-obv770.jpg

1887-obv771.jpg