• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Market Value of this Coin--1886 Morgan NGC MS64*

39 posts in this topic

The purpose of this post is to find the opinions of the forum members regarding the market value of this coin. CDN Bid Price is $51. Please give your opinion of the value of this coin as well as any reasons for your answer. There is no right or wrong answer, only opinions. Thank You!

MorganDollar1886NGCMS64StarBattl-5.jpgMorganDollar1886NGCMS64StarBattl-6.jpg

I think James is in the right ballpark, but I'd still try to get it for as little as possible.

$200-$400

Chris

Because it's a reverse toner, I'd guess $350.

350 would be right on the money, except it is a BC toner. Added premium makes this closer to $500.00

Because it's a reverse toner, I'd guess $350.

350 would be right on the money, except it is a BC toner. Added premium makes this closer to $500.00

I think Bruce is right on the money for a 64* BC. (thumbs u

It's quite nice and I love toned coins, but would have a very hard time paying any significant premium for this particular piece.

It's quite nice and I love toned coins, but would have a very hard time paying any significant premium for this particular piece.

Tom, your response surprises me a little. Do you not prefer to pay premiums for reverse toned coins, or is it because it is a BC coin that is a little overgraded in my opinion?

I have no idea and yes, I do think it is a nice coin. Based upon our prior exchanges in the other post, I would expect that if a "regular" specimen sells for $51, this one should be five times that or more.

Reverse toned coins do not bother me though they can be tougher to sell at a higher premium to some collectors and dealers. Additionally, the grade does not appear to be terribly out of line. While I find the coin attractive, I do not think the overall eye appeal it is all that scarce for the series, although I admit that I have not considered how tough this particular date might be to find attractively toned. After all, there is a very long parade of nicely to wildly toned Morgan dollars that can be had, which in my opinion depresses the value of the coins that are relatively lower on the scale.

Paul, as you know, I already told you what auction that came from, what lot that was and how much it sold for, so mentioning it here seems rather like shooting fish in the barrel. FWIW, if it had been in the first two auctions I suspect it would have gone 20-40% higher.

I would prefer to pay a larger premium for a GEM or better toned coin. To me, monster eye appeal is a combination of technical grade, blast, and color. I want to say WOW when I see it. A reverse toned Morgan is not rare especially in 64. I would got to about 4x bid. I would probably be outbid if in auction, but thats what the coin would be worth to me.

If the coin was a 66 and the obverse was toned like that, well then, thats a different story. ;)

Just a question. How stable is the color on these coins? In 20 - 30 years will the colors be the same or will they change? I don't know but consider it an important piece of information should one become interested in urchasing toned coins. Thanks :)

Paul, as you know, I already told you what auction that came from, what lot that was and how much it sold for, so mentioning it here seems rather like shooting fish in the barrel. FWIW, if it had been in the first two auctions I suspect it would have gone 20-40% higher.

Sy,

I knew you would run over this thread and wonder what the heck I was doing. I know exactly how much it sold for in the original auction (thanks to you) and exactly how much I paid for the coin. The purpose of this post was to provide another forum member (who will remain nameless unless he reveals himself) what others think about the market value of this coin. We were having what most would call an argument in another thread about the relative values of brilliant vs. rainbow toned coins.

The following is a quote from one of his posts: "take your coin to a show. shop it around to various dealers and let the forum know what some of them would offer you. I remain skeptical the offer will be some huge premium multiples above bid. The NGC bid per CCDN (latest issue I have) is $51 for 1886 $ in MS64. I would estimate many of them would simply offer $100 for the two planning to sell them to show customers at $65 (CDN ask of $59 plus about 10%)." When he talks about $100, he is talking about $100 for both the coin listed above and a generic white MS64 Morgan together. In other words, he thinks the rainbow toned coin has a market value of $50.

He asked me to shop the coin at a show to dealers and let the forum members know the results. Because of my inability to attend coin shows, I decided to just post the coin and ask the forum members for their opinion. So far, only one person has said that they would not pay a significant premium for the coin. I apologize for the subterfuge, but I promise that it was necessary to obtain unbiased information from the rest of the forum members.

How much did it sell for? Very nice by the way. :banana:

I will kindly ask anyone who has this information not to post it on this thread as it will bias my survey. If you know this information and want to tell PCcoins, please PM him instead. Thank You!

Paul

Please let me clarify that when I wrote that I would not pay a significant premium for the coin I was not excluding $100 to $150 for the coin based upon its look in-hand. I was simply writing that my level would have been below the level of everyone else who had posted within the thread.

Please let me clarify that when I wrote that I would not pay a significant premium for the coin I was not excluding $100 to $150 for the coin based upon its look in-hand. I was simply writing that my level would have been below the level of everyone else who had posted within the thread.

Tom,

Don't worry about it, I knew what you meant. I certainly didn't think that you considered the piece a $50 coin. Having said that, your opinion was still a little surprising.

Paul,

I have mentioned Jack about the price of this coin to anyone but you, as it is your property and you can disperse that information as you so wish.

FWIW, it was one of the top 20 coins in that auction IMO, and I bid on it, although obviously I did not want it enough to pay that sort of money for it. I bought 3 coins from that auction, and IMO (and the hammer price) the reverse toner I bought was the best single reverse toner of that auction. It cost roughly twice yours. It also is a MS64*.

EDITED TO ADD: For those of you that note that the colors on my coin are roughly comparable to the colors on Paul's coin and yet mine cost roughly twice as much, I would like to point out that what you can't see very well from the photos is the richness and POP of the colors. In one sense is my coin worth paying twice Paul's coin price? Probably not... but just as it is easily possible to go from a MS64 costing $1,000 to a MS65 costing $10,000 (e.g. a tenfold price increase for incrementally little visual difference), if you had the two coins in hand most people would probably say the colors are richer and more visually striking on mine.

Oh and as to the fading/changing of colors over time... we shall see. It's been ~3 years since the BC's first came out, and all mine (roughly 30) still look like they did when I bought them. The good Lord willing, I'll give you an update in 30 years. ;)

1887-rev762.jpg

1887-rev763.jpg

Assuming the intensity of colors is accurate as it is displayed on my monitor, I would pay a substantial premium for the reverse toned Morgan that SkyMan just posted. My reaction to the aesthetics of that coin within the Morgan series is strongly positive, which is why I would pay.

Yes, quite exceptional toning on that reverse! Skyman (thumbs u

Sorry about asking about the price of the Lehigh's morgan. doh!

I wasn't aware that this was inappropriate, new to the Forum. To me it doesn't matter what you really paid for the coin or any coins people collect. If they what it bad enough, and you can enjoy the coin for years to come. Who can put a price on that? :insane:

The following is a quote from one of his posts: "take your coin to a show. shop it around to various dealers and let the forum know what some of them would offer you. I remain skeptical the offer will be some huge premium multiples above bid. The NGC bid per CCDN (latest issue I have) is $51 for 1886 $ in MS64. I would estimate many of them would simply offer $100 for the two planning to sell them to show customers at $65 (CDN ask of $59 plus about 10%)." When he talks about $100, he is talking about $100 for both the coin listed above and a generic white MS64 Morgan together. In other words, he thinks the rainbow toned coin has a market value of $50.

He asked me to shop the coin at a show to dealers and let the forum members know the results. Because of my inability to attend coin shows, I decided to just post the coin and ask the forum members for their opinion. So far, only one person has said that they would not pay a significant premium for the coin. I apologize for the subterfuge, but I promise that it was necessary to obtain unbiased information from the rest of the forum members.

Whoever told you that is clueless, or is trying to rip you off, or possibly both.

Assuming the intensity of colors is accurate as it is displayed on my monitor, I would pay a substantial premium for the reverse toned Morgan that SkyMan just posted. My reaction to the aesthetics of that coin within the Morgan series is strongly positive, which is why I would pay.

Tom, here is one of the the images directly from the camera before any cropping or sizing.

1887rev766.jpg

Whoever told you that is clueless, or is trying to rip you off, or possibly both.

FWIW, I don't think that he is trying to do either. He is simply the most stubborn person I have ever come across on these boards. His mentality is basically that he prefers brilliant untoned coins and refuses to pay premiums for toned coins. In fact, he refuses to even acknowledge that there is a separate market for toned coins that creates the premiums. In his eyes, and he strongly believes this, the coin posted is a $50 coin and should be treated exactly the same as a brilliant coin.

And that is the entire reason for this post. I wanted to show him that other people are allowed to have opinions and their opinions should be respected, especially when they are supported by evidence. It seems clear that most of the forum members believe that this coin's market value is somewhere between 3X-15X bid. I have no problem with anyone's opinion about the value of this coin, but I will simply state that those who think it is worth 3X bid have no realistic shot at ever owning the coin because of the people who think it is worth 10-15X bid. This opinions posted in this thread should show him in an indisputable way that rainbow toned coins drive a premium whether he likes it or not, regardless of his own personal preference.

I am sure that he is lurking and I would respect his position more if he would only open his mind instead of resorting to insulting others.

Yes, quite exceptional toning on that reverse! Skyman (thumbs u

Sorry about asking about the price of the Lehigh's morgan. doh!

I wasn't aware that this was inappropriate, new to the Forum. To me it doesn't matter what you really paid for the coin or any coins people collect. If they what it bad enough, and you can enjoy the coin for years to come. Who can put a price on that? :insane:

Jon,

Don't worry about asking about the price. Your asking wasn't inappropriate, I was just worried that if the original auction price was posted that it would unfairly bias some of the opinions posted on the thread. If that happened, the lurker would be able to say that the only reason people listed market values that high was because of previous auction prices realized. Wait a minute, that is how we determine market value isn't it. Personally, I think that auction prices realized are a much better indicator of market value than a price guide. But that is just my opinion.

I agree! Auctions are what actual people are paying for actual coins. Price guides are just spectulation, I don't like them. Every price guides have different prices.