• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question of the day! NOT A RANT lol

11 posts in this topic

i was just wondering what the first thaught was when buying a coin in yalls mind.

i am not focusing on my COIN SALES as much as MY COLLECTION goods. as of late i have decided to pay more into collecting than selling. i see alot of "is it worth the MONEY to send" when talking about sending to any grading company. but what about those who want the coin slabbed cause it is a coin they like and want to see protected/easy to store and view.

i am sending some coins in to NCS as posted elswhere. and most are going into my collection and not the selling block.

*should all coins be looked at as MONEY to be made first ,before the "i like it and want it in a slab?

* and if yes to the first question, then why call it collecting?

I think slabbing is up to the owner of the coin. I see alot of "Is it worth it" too, but I think this is actual advice whether money would be wasted. If you want to slab a coin for your own benefit and satisfaction, I say go for it if the money is not an issue.

I am a collector, and not a dealer, so my answer is, "no, coins should not be looked at as 'money to be made first.' " When I view a coin with an eye toward purchasing it, my question is, "do I feel comfortable paying the asking price (or, increasing the bid), or can a better buy be found with a little patience?"

As far as "wanting it in a slab," I have never sent a raw coin in to be graded/authenticated, so that does not apply to me. This is not to say that I don't own any slabbed coins, just that they were all purchased already slabbed.

It looks like if you want some replies, you will have to give us a good rant, Ant. Make that a good "Ant rant" :D

should all coins be looked at as MONEY to be made first ,before the "i like it and want it in a slab?
No, not necessarily.

That's an easy one for me. I saw the coin, a 2007 Gold Buffalo, I wanted the coin and I bought the coin. lol

Slabbing for selling... I can see where you'd want to make a profit by having it graded. I graded some duplicate Morgans with the thought of selling them if they graded high enough. Guess what? They didn't grade so high so now they're staying with me unless someone wants to pay for the grading plus a little something something for the coin.

As far as slabbing my one of a kind coins, (at least I see them as one of a kind coins) and by that I mean mostly early commems. I don't buy too many raw ones as I feel it's tough not to get ripped off. I just can't tell how nice a coin is based on its pictures. My goal is for a slabbed set of coins with very few raw ones as I want them all graded MS65 or above. The raw ones then go into a Dansco album until I decide to grade them or deem them unworthy. "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!" Whoa that's a quote from the past. hehe

As you probably know ant i never slab a coin worth the grading fee as i don't have any lol

but i have sold 3 coins which i had slabbed and strangely they sold for more than the slabbing fee lol lol

As you probably know ant i never slab a coin worth the grading fee as i don't have any lol

but i have sold 3 coins which i had slabbed and strangely they sold for more than the slabbing fee lol lol

Wayne,

I have always been amazed at how you do that, is there something in the water i n the UK that makes those folks act that way???

Rey

I don't think your question is a yes or no question, Anthony. I believe even a collector should be interested in a coins value and its appreciation especially for their collection, not just for resale. I know that "collectors" are supposed to separate themselves from resellers, but I think the two can go hand in hand. I have many 1900's collections-some completed and some not. All were collected with future value in mind after about the first 10-15 years of collecting. Eye appeal is a fine thing unless it rules the roost. I would be the first to admit that I have bought many coins that simply caught my eye and that I had to have, but the most coins that I have purchased in over 40 years of off and on collecting that were value losers were of that category. To this day if I absolutely see something I want and will keep, I will buy it and value be darned, but I do not allow this to rule my purchases overall. I believe both value purchases and eye appeal coins can be goal oriented buys for short and long term. JMO

Jim

I'll explain my thinking behind my post on your other thread. I can definitely understand your desire to conserve your coins, and I understand that you want them protected. I also understand that it is your choice to do this however you want to, and if you want to spend the money on grading fees and such, go ahead. But from my perspective, there are a lot cheaper ways to protect and conserve your coins. Especially for lower dollar coins, to me its not worth the $30 a piece to put them in the super fancy holders. I really don't care how much the value of the piece will be helped when it comes time to sell - I am just comparing the benefit to my collection of a $30 slab versus a couple of cents for a 2x2, or a Coin World holder, or a Capitol plastics, or an Intercept shield, or whatever you like. I can get a whole bunch of those, that to me look just as good, for a whole lot less money which can then be used for other things. I might be able to understand it more if these coins had some sentimental value, but you said you got them out of pound lots you had.

I also understand the desire to have your coins conserved - if a coin has gunk or something on it, I want it removed as well. I don't want ugly coins in my collection. However, I would invest $3 in a gallon of acetone and some Q-Tips first before I spent $15 a coin to have them professionally conserved. Or maybe some olive oil, or something. There are a number of home remedies that would seem to be more economical than NCS.

Don't get me wrong, for a high dollar coin that I was concerned about preserving that high investment in, NCS is the way to go. But for a $50 coin, even if you did only spend 17 cents on it, by the time you spend $20 for NCS and then $20 for NGC, that coin is no longer such a great deal. You wind up spending the same amount for the coin that you would have if you had just bought it.

we have all seen the damage i can do with acitone.e-z-est.....i have ruined coins that were awsome. so again i think its in the best interest for the coin to let the pro's do it. some of these will be worth same or less later,and some will be worth far more. but for now i think ill enjoy them.

i have a friend that does my finishing in the house for me. he is making me desplay cases for my slabbed sets and such. i have a war time collection that has war badges and guns in the set from the time, i have the vatican coin collection... so im happy to slab for easy display :)

cant wait till there done to show off.