• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How 'bout these 1853's... Like 'em? Guess the Grade ?

20 posts in this topic

Just ordered these two. Comments encouraged, good, bad or indifferent. It helps me learn. Care to guess a grade or maybe even doomed to a BB :o ?

I enjoy collecting this year and am having fun doing so.

1853pdimearrows.jpg

1853pquarteraandr.jpg

Thanks.

I'll share one of the grades now....

Honestly my very first impression on the dime was that it maybe had a light cleaning. There seems to be several abrasions going in the same direction from 11:00 to 4:00. That said though, it still looked fairly original and does seem to have an OK strike (as far as seated dimes goes). This coin is already in a PCGS EF40 slab.

Lesson: Don't bet against James on grading circulated stuff ;)

If I were grading these coins then I would body bag both of them. If I owned them then I'd spend them at face value. :þ

The only merit these coins have, IMO, is that they have good details. The eye-appeal, however, is very poor. They are cleaned and hairlined and just down-right unattractive to me. :sorry:

This is closer to the look that I prefer:

58584-1853.jpg.840fbaad107e16489d67711ae4d9916e.jpg

58585-1853rev.jpg.02e72449daa38d261ea2e61770e1b677.jpg

58586-55O.jpg.67351b9433ba06ee34b35debc6e4cb4d.jpg

58587-55R.jpg.78257d00772fc84098d8cab73ce4e39d.jpg

For me its really about just getting something better than I already have. We are all at differing points in our collecting... I'm still a newb... but either of these are nicer than my current examples for my year set so I'm happy. The quarter is in a 45 holder. Once they are in hand I'll decide if I like them or not. I have learned enough to know that I can't tell for sure by just a picture.

It's just a hobby for me that I get enjoyment out of. While I'd like to have the best coin available for its grade, it'll prolly take me a lot of time to get there as I'm not the most patient guy in the world. ;)

Here's some of my other circ stuff... I like to think about what hands they might have been in and the history that surrounds them. Thanks for the feedback.

IDNFE-seatedfun002.jpg

h1853o44.jpg

XIZWF-1853Trimewithgrade.jpg

noarrowsquarter001a.jpgnoarrowsquarter002a.jpg

Now, Richard, the 1853 without arrows. That is a beautiful coin and the color I like to see in nineteenth century coinage. I have a couple of Morgans similiar to that but they are hard to find that color.

Jim

I enjoy collecting this year and am having fun doing so.

You picked a good year to collect, IMHO, TR. The P-mint coins were minted in large enough quantities to make many of them, at least in the smaller denominations (including the gold! :) ), affordable in the higher circulated and even lower uncirculated grades. And you even get that great looking rays reverse on the quarter and half!

Since you want opinions I will give them to you. It is very likely both coins have been dipped in the past and, from the images, both coins have negative eye appeal to me. Later in the thread you have shared images of a lower grade dime and quarter and these coins, again in my opinion, are far nicer and are better than the higher grade "improvements" that you have just obtained. I collect what I like; you collect what you like and it doesn't mean that either of us is necessarily "wrong".

Since you want opinions I will give them to you. It is very likely both coins have been dipped in the past and, from the images, both coins have negative eye appeal to me. Later in the thread you have shared images of a lower grade dime and quarter and these coins, again in my opinion, are far nicer and are better than the higher grade "improvements" that you have just obtained. I collect what I like; you collect what you like and it doesn't mean that either of us is necessarily "wrong".

Now, Richard, the 1853 without arrows. That is a beautiful coin and the color I like to see in nineteenth century coinage.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I thought I was the only one that liked the 1853 coins. I'm working on a complete year set. Here are a couple of recent additions:

69766552.jpg

69766554.jpg

71482117.jpg

71482118.jpg

I'm a little late on this post but my opinion is your gut reaction there Richard. The first looks like it may have had a light cleaning and the second also looks like it may have seen a dip not too long ago.

If I were grading these coins then I would body bag both of them. If I owned them then I'd spend them at face value. :þ

The only merit these coins have, IMO, is that they have good details. The eye-appeal, however, is very poor. They are cleaned and hairlined and just down-right unattractive to me. :sorry:

EZ_E -

I really like the look of the 1853 half you posted. That's why I own it now ;)

58584-1853.jpg

58585-1853rev.jpg

EZ_E -

I really like the look of the 1853 half you posted. That's why I own it now ;)

58584-1853.jpg

58585-1853rev.jpg

That's a REALLY cool coin, Richard. Congrats!! ^^

Well both coins showed up in todays mail. They don't look anything like the sellers scans as both coins are much darker... in fact the quarter is real dark. It looks like the quarter was maybe taped in something due to the dark coloration on the OBV. The Rev is real pretty. I don't see any evidence of "cleaning" although the dime might have had a dip a long time ago... I don't know its full of dirt or whatever in the protected areas.

Both coins still have some luster which I'm happy with.

Here's my pics. Sorry the Dime Obv close up is blurry, I'll reshoot it later. Anyway just wanted to share. Nobody at home or folks I know personally care a bit about my "hobby" ;) So good, bad or indifferent... you're stuck with me :grin:

IUHOH-jjtp001.jpgDRCWF-jjtp002.jpg

CLOED-jjtp003.jpg

YMNWD-jjtp005.jpgLQMEE-jjtp007.jpg

BCFRM-jjtp004.jpg

Anyway just wanted to share. Nobody at home or folks I know personally care a bit about my "hobby" ;\) So good, bad or indifferent... you're stuck with me

(thumbs u (thumbs u