• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some recent newps from the local coin show.

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Today I went to the scottsdale coin show in scottsdale, and picked up a few nice coins. I got 4 morgan silver dollars for $15 each, and a very interesting gold wedding token. Apparently these were thrown out to the bride and broom at weddings in iran in the 19th century and early 20th century similiar to how rice is throw in the US.

I paid $25 for the wedding token.

It is .900 fine. Anyone know anything else about this curious item?

Morgans.jpg

WeddingToken1.jpg

WeddingToken2.jpg

WeddingToken3.jpg

I got pelted with candy when i got off the stage. now that you bring it up, having gold coins thrown at me sounds a whole lot better!

I just looked the coin up in krause world coins 1901-2000. I found one that looked very very simliar (if not identical). I'm thinking this might be an actual coin and NOT a token. Don't know if anyone can confirm this. The coin weighs half a gram (I weighed it) and the below coin weighs the same.

KM # 991 2000 DINARS (1/5 toman) 0.5749 grams, 9000 fine, gold .0166 oz AGW

I cannot read the arabic on it.

I just looked the coin up in krause world coins 1901-2000. I found one that looked very very simliar (if not identical). I'm thinking this might be an actual coin and NOT a token. Don't know if anyone can confirm this. The coin weighs half a gram (I weighed it) and the below coin weighs the same.

KM # 991 2000 DINARS (1/5 toman) 0.5749 grams, 9000 fine, gold .0166 oz AGW

I cannot read the arabic on it.

Hint... The flip that it came in says KM # 924. That would be the first place I would look.

In keeping with tradition that if it is a wedding token, then it is called a

mahr

A sekkeh mobarak bad, which literally translates to "congratulation coin".

مهر;

"May it be blessed", or "May it be fortunate" is probably the inscription on the coin/token.

The gold ones were handed from the groom to the bride as a dowry so to speak with lesser tokens left on the alter or tossed lightly while the bride and groom danced.

Nice pick up Kevin…next time your in Barnes & Nobles bring the coin with you and look it up.

Nice pickups!

One point... if it was Iranian it was most likely printed in Farsi, NOT Arabic. The Persians (e.g. Iranians) and Arabs have hated each others guts for a LONG time.