• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

something i learned from a coin dealer

8 posts in this topic

the other day i walked into a coin dealer and planed to look around. well that thought went out the window quickly!

the coin dealer asked if i was a native of nebraska, my reply was "... no a native of TEXAS...", the dealers eyes went wide with excitement. well to make a long story short:

he told me that according to the compromise that allowed TEXAS to become the 28th state; the Republic of Texas would have to cede to the united states 50% of the lands she had. also in the articles of the compromise the state of TEXAS under the right procedures can be divided into four states.

well, that was an intresting story! i bought the silver proof coin of TEXAS.

coin collecting can be fun and intresting!!

p.s. can anyone verify th story? thank you.

I actually thought it could be broken up into 5 states which was the original plan and did get broken up into parts of New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma if my memory serves me correctly... Native Texan here as well.

you are correct and i should have made it clear the lands the Republic of Texas gave up later became parts of the other states! as to prsent day Texas it can under the right procedures be broken into four states.

This is some info I found!

The annexation resolution has been the topic of some incorrect historical beliefs—chiefly, that the resolution was a treaty between sovereign states, and granted Texas the explicit right to secede from the Union. This was a right argued by some to be implicitly held by all states at the time, and until the conclusion of the Civil War. However, no such right was explicitly enumerated in the resolution. That having been said, the resolution did include two unique provisions: first, it gave the new state of Texas the right to divide itself into as many as five states (a proposal never seriously considered). Second, Texas did not have to surrender its public lands to the federal government. Thus the only lands owned by the federal government within Texas have actually been purchased by the government, and the vast oil discoveries on state lands have provided a major revenue flow for the state universities.

again the lands that the republic ceded to the federal government were used to make up four other states.

the resolution also called for: under the proper procedures the present state of Texas can be divided into four states!

sorry for the confusion!

I can't find anything about Texas giving up half of it's land but Congress adopted on the 1st of March 1845, on

condition that the United States should settle all questions of boundary with foreign governments, that Texas should retain all of its vacant and unappropriated public lands, and that new states, not exceeding four in number, might be formed within its limits.

I never heard that either. I know that there are many people that have Land Grants handed down to them with Texas.I know of one Mexican Family that owns land on both sides of a road between two towns .My Father and younger Brother used to hunt on Lands owned by another Mexican Family out of season. They could do anything they wanted on the Land because it was private and people bought a Lease with the right to hunt on it all year around.

Alaska was originally going to be made into two states but was decided not to because

3 states the size of Texas would put a burden on hat makers with 3 times as many of those swelled heads to cover.