• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Half cent's

24 posts in this topic

I just got done working out a deal on these ATS. Traded a bunch of duplicates and non type set coin's to get these. I hope to send them in and ad them to my type set.They are both raw now but come with the there old NGC MS-63 BN labels. What do you think sorry the reverses are so small.

67b2_1.jpg

6aa5_0.jpg

7af0_1.jpg

7e5a_0.jpg

I like both coins, but would not certify them. That is throwing perfectly good money at coins that do not need the comfort of a slab.

Save the $50, and buy a couple or three books on half-cents instead. I would start with the Breen encyclopedia. THAT is a much better investment than plastic for these nice coins!

Yeah but I need them for my NGC type set :popcorn:

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I know the feeling. :grin:

Those are both nice coins. The 1850 is a better date and about as tough as the 1849 to find in good shape. I had a couple of AU 1850s raw, but I sold them both. The 1835 date doesn't do much for me since it's one of the more common dates. But for type it will do fine.

First off, nice looking coins. :applause:

Second, Harvey, STOP!!! Do not pass go, do NOT shell out the money.

If they come with their old labels WHY would you certify them if you like how they look now? Their old certification numbers are perfectly valid to enter/use in the registry. The only reason to slab them now would be for protection purposes, which is what you can do for a lot cheaper with other products.

If they come with their old labels WHY would you certify them if you like how they look now? Their old certification numbers are perfectly valid to enter/use in the registry. The only reason to slab them now would be for protection purposes, which is what you can do for a lot cheaper with other products.

Very good point that I over looked. What would you use airtites? Thank you.

That would be my preference.

I think that the 1850 half cent might make its way into an NGC Mint State holder again. I'm not so sure about the 1835. It looks like it has some wear, and might be a high end AU. At least that's the way that EAC collectors and dealers would grade it.

Here is an 1835 half cent that is my "second" piece. I have an 1826 half cent in an NGC MS-64, Brown holder, which is not as nice. This piece only made it into an NGC MS-63, Brown holder, and I thought that I got short changed. :( I point this out because slab grades are not carved in stone. They can vary from submission to submission.

1835 half cent, NGC MS-63, Brown

1835HalfCentOJPG.jpg1835HalfCentR.jpg

1826 Half Cent, NGC MS-64, Brown

1826HalfCentOJPG.jpg1826HalfCentR.jpg

I have never used them, but I believe that Coin World sells their own slabs that you can pick up for a few bucks each. Go to coinworld.com and see if you can track them down.

RI AL

Harvey, I'm not a copper guy. PM someone like MikeInFL who specializes in copper.

Alright got them today and am very pleased. The 1835 exhibit's some major doubling of the word half cent , and has some very neat die clashes on the reverse. It also has a nice die crack running across the reverse. Here are the coins I got thought's

halfcents1.jpg

halfcents2.jpg

newps9.jpg

newps10.jpg

halfcents3.jpghalfcents4.jpg

newps7.jpg

newps8.jpg

The 1835 is a C-2 die state IV with the large die crack. Below is a picture of mine in NGC MS62. Mine has the same die crack.

Are these the same two you listed on CoinZip? I guess you don't need the coins now that you have the labels. :o

58867-1835_small.jpg.18b91a00408d70d9d33ef037a1975288.jpg