• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Army Medalion

7 posts in this topic

Modern Army Medalion

armytokenIV.jpg

armytokenII.jpg

I think this is a cast token, the edges look ground to remove perhaps a seam, but is quite hefty and is thick. The year in Roman Numerals should read 1775 the year our Continental Army was organized, but I'm not sure what that reads. The Continental Army had very little money along with a few bad soldiers. The Continental Congress raised the eight companies of soldiers, with each company numbering 120 men. These companies were made up entirely of cripples, invalids, blind men and men missing arms and legs. But, they were fighting on there own land, for their own land, and for their freedom and the freedom of others. They also had a great leader, guess who? They got most of thier supplies by stealing them from the British Red Coats. (Fort Ticonderoga)

We have come a long way since those days!

I used a Mexican 5 Peso for size comparison, the medalion is just a tad bit larger.

Year: 1952

Mint: Mo (Mexico City Mint)

Metal: .720 solid silver Weight: 27.28 grams or .6431 oz.

Size:Aprox : 38.05 mm diameter or 1 1/2 inches (1.498)

The date reads 1778.

OK...thought so, I'm going to have to find out what is significant about that particular date and the Army.

Com'on you Army people, help me out here, I was Air Force! ;)

The date reads 1778.

OK...thought so, I'm going to have to find out what is significant about that particular date and the Army.

Com'on you Army people, help me out here, I was Air Force! ;)

West Point, "the Gibraltar of the Hudson," was first occupied as a military post in January 1778. (thumbs u

The 1777-1778 winter encampment at Valley Forge was an extremely important period in the development of the Continental Army.

Congress and military leaders used this time to review the campaign of 1777 and to debate reforms to improve the Army's battlefield performance.

Comprehensive legislation from the Continental Congress came in May and involved a revision of the basic tables of organization for the various types of regiments. This resolve of 27 May 1778 reduced the number of regiments and especially the number of officers in each regiment, and made several other changes.

This period witnessed the gradual transformation of the Continental Army (malitia type) into a professional paid fighting force.

Note: By February 1778, George Washington's Continental Army at Valley Forge or its outposts consisted of infantrymen from 15 brigades including 64 field, 720 company, and 206 staff officers; 931 sergeants; 642 drummers and fifers; and 17,491 rank and file. Only 7,600 rank and file were completely fit for duty, and a third of those were detached for various purposes. Almost 5,000 were sick, 1,100 were on furlough, and 3,700 healthy men lacked either shoes or clothes and could not participate in combat. The artillery contingent contained 117 officers and 810 men; the cavalry, 70 officers and 438 mends

642 drummers and fifers...I guess back then this was an important intergal part of the military. :o

Drum and fifer noise was the psychological warfare, scare tactic of 18th century armies against irregular soldiers. In other words, here we come in a line with our bayonets fixed and our fife, drums and additionally for the Brits, bagpipes, to scare the pants off the opponents..