• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non Collector Looking for Identification and Value on a Coin

16 posts in this topic

This coin was found at my grandmother's house after she recently passed away. My grandfather was an avid coin collector who passed away in 1980. It's in a holder with a price of $16.50 listed. However, I have no idea when that price of $16.50 was put on it. I don't collect coins but I'm curious as to what this thing is. It does not appear to be issued by a US mint as it specifically says California on it. If anyone knows what this coin is and an idea of how much it's worth, I'd appreciate it if you could help me. Thanks.

goldcoin.jpg

Need Better picture

They did back date these to 1850 ... Even though they were part of the coinage act of 1864

There were 8 of this variety and the Variety is important in valuation.

Depending on Type and Condition and if its real :)

Get better pics :)

These are known as California fractional gold pieces. Those without a denomination written on them or that have a bear featured on them are almost always modern reproductions that are not gold. However, those with a denomination written on them were either issued during the date of the piece or were backdated, but both types are gold. Here is Mike Locke's webpage dedicated to California fractional gold, you may find what you are looking for on his site.

It does have a bear (at least I think it's a bear, this thing is awfully small) and it also says 1/2 on the back. I'm not a coin collector but I do have a few silver dollars, some of them dating back to the 1800's that were given to me by my grandfather before he passed away. I just wanted to know if this thing was worth a lot or nothing. Like I said, it was just something we found when liquidating my grandmother's estate. Thanks for the link to the website.

If it has a bear with a fraction of 1/2, but no denomination written such as "DOL" or "DOLLAR" then it is likely a rather modern fantasy piece. Most of these were made of plated brass, copper, bronze or some other non-precious metal. If this is the case, then most likely it is worth a few dollars.

Toms link is a good place to start. I lightend up your pic a little and tried to look myself. It would be easier to distinguish if a pic of the reverse was shown.

goldcoin.jpg

Bear page from the site Tom posted.

Bear

Yep, it looks exactly like the one pictured on this link except for the date being 1855 instead of 1852. Darn, I had fantasies that this thing was going to be worth millions and I could sell it and retire, lol. Anyway, thanks guys for helping me identify it. It's still a little something to remind me of grandpa.

Welcome to the forum there Plifter. This is the place to come for questions and help. There are alot of coins that have more value with memories than monetary.

Welcome to the forum.

It's a rather common replica and worth perhaps a few dollars.

It's not a replica since the design does not replicate any of the original designs. A more proper term would be fantasy coin.

It is a very common replica of a California fraction gold piece. Any piece that has fraction without the word “DOL” or “DOLLAR” on it is not a genuine example. Also the presence of a bear or the word “EUREKA” is not an original item.

Back in the 1960s Woolworth’s five and dime used to see these pieces for $2 each. Prices for this item have not gone up since then.