• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Today's the day Sellers get hit again on eBay

30 posts in this topic

eBay quote "Sellers can no longer leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.

Buyers should leave honest Feedback without the fear of receiving negative or neutral ratings."

Yep it has finally come :censored: so that's the end of the cheep postage from me everything will have to go recorded from now on.. so in theory if you only bid on eBay you will always have 100% feedback and you as a seller will have to look at each bidders feedback to others to find out if you have a workyticket !!!!

i can see that there are going to be a lot of sellers getting kicked off in the near future

what are your opinions ??

I don't expect bad sellers to get "kicked off". But hopefully they will start to receive the bad feedback they so richly deserve.

yes mark i do agree that is a positive of this but to have no recourse as a seller i think this is very unfair. as we have all had "problem" customers who have had little or no reason to spit the dummy out..

i remember when i first started i had a one who complained and left negative feed back when i sold a "unworking vintage camera" then complained when she had taken the camera to have it repaired and it cost more than she thought to get it fixed and wanted some money back to cover the cost of the repair.. (shrug).. it was listed as unworking and i even put in the listing that the cost of the repair was to much so i had listed it in the best way i could ..

also if you have a non paying bidder and they leave you negitive what happens there ?

I agree that some good sellers will be penalized unfairly by bad bidders under the new system. However, I think and hope that the number will be extremely small. And I believe is a relatively small price to pay for the improvements that should occur as a result of the bad sellers getting what they deserve.

I wouldn't surprised if, on a relative basis, the good sellers end up looking even better under the new system. For example, currently, there are some terrible sellers (and I'm being polite) with feedback scores of between 99% and 100%. I expect that their feedback will justifiably suffer much more than the feedback of good sellers will. And let's face it, if a bidder unfairly leaves negative feedback for a good seller, it should be obvious in most cases.

It does seem a bit unfair...there are bad people on both sides and I have seen where negative feedback is used as retaliation...also on both side of the coin.

I just don't see why an honest seller can't leave a negative feedback if its deserved. (shrug):screwy:

Hope it works out in the end.

I agree with Mark on this one. The loony bidders who leave bad feedback should be evenly distributed in the community. Let's say that is 5% of all bidders. That would mean that over time good sellers would end up with 95% positive feedback while bad sellers might end up in the 80's. Right now, there is just not enough of a difference in feedback scores to make them valuable.

I equally buy and sell on ebay and I know I would have left negative feedback several times if not for fear of retribution. As a seller I always leave positives first so I'm already open to nut jobs and in over 300 sales I've not had any.

I agree with Mark on this one. The loony bidders who leave bad feedback should be evenly distributed in the community. Let's say that is 5% of all bidders. That would mean that over time good sellers would end up with 95% positive feedback while bad sellers might end up in the 80's. Right now, there is just not enough of a difference in feedback scores to make them valuable.

I equally buy and sell on ebay and I know I would have left negative feedback several times if not for fear of retribution. As a seller I always leave positives first so I'm already open to nut jobs and in over 300 sales I've not had any.

Sounds reasonable.

tough call.....I do think that we may have to adjust our thinking on what is an "acceptable'feedback score to do business with...

a 99.1% before may have been iffy....now a 97% may be a solid and reliable/honest ebay seller...

it will definately benefit the buyer on things such as refund policy....a seller who refuses to stand behind their product with a refund policy will be getting a lot of negatives....unfortunately this may lead to many returns for buyer regret...

Be sure to block anyone you neg from your auctions otherwise they may bid out of revenge to retaliate your neg.

As a seller I always leave positives first so I'm already open to nut jobs and in over 300 sales I've not had any.

I know I'm going to get some flak from some of the sellers, but I resent being held hostage in the feedback system when I have lived up to my end of the agreement 100%. I always pay promptly or notify the seller if I am bidding on multiple items. If, upon receipt, there is a problem with an item, I let the seller know immediately and try to resolve it amicably. Why should I have to wait for feedback until I have posted it for the seller?

Let's face it, there are bad apples on both sides. As a seller, if you want to list merchandise on eBay, you're going to have to accept the fact that this form of mass marketing is going to attract some less-than-savory characters. If you have a problem with a buyer, you should be seeking recourse thru eBay, but to impose "blanket" restrictions on all buyers because of the few bad ones is ridiculous.

Finally, if you think there are more bad buyers than there are sellers, just go back through the threads on these boards for the last year or two. This is just a guess, but I would imagine the posts about bad sellers outnumber bad buyers 10-to-1 or more.

Here is an idea for you. Why don't you open a store in your hometown area? Whenever a customer makes a purchase, you lock the door and refuse to let him leave until he has written a glowing report about your business so you can post it on your bulletin board. How long do you think it will be before the customers stop patronizing you?

Chris

I have never given a seller a reason to give me negative feedback and I've never had a reason to give a seller a Neg. Hopefully this won't be abused by buyers knowing that the negs can't be given.

Please clear something up for me-a seller cannot leave negative feedback even if not paid for the auction item? That is asinine. I have championed the automatic positive feedback for buyers WHEN THEY PAY ON TIME for a couple of years and have caught, what I thought as unfair criticizm, from many sellers. I both sell and buy on ebay-probably 50-50, and have maintained my 100% feedback. I have always given immediate pos. feedback for any customer who paid in a timely manner. But, for ebay, to stop any neg. feedback from sellers who have been denied their fair payment for their auction has no positive benefit to any fair minded ebayer. Again, if this is the way ebay is working this, it is typical of their non thoughtout approach to business. They should write a book and sell it on ebay-on how to run a successful business(right into the ground).

Jim

One of the dumbest ideas ever to come out of eBay. I seriously wonder what STUPID people are running that company. They've given all the power to the buyers rather than trying to make it a level playing field. As a seller I'm disgusted. As a shareholder, I'm scared.

I've run probably 6,000+ auctions over the past 10 years and the number of whack jobs is increasing. I list the (IMHO, reasonable) shipping cost in the auction, yet I still get people who email me after the auction ends asking for reduced shipping charges. I've had people request Express and Registered mail and then act incredulous when I have the nerve to tell them that it is available at an additional cost. Now they can neg me at will.

I've had people file PayPal claims against me including one for non-delivery two days after the auction ended. A couple claims were outright fraud. Generally PayPal just gives the person their money back and smiles. Now, I cannot warn other sellers about these people. I guess eBay wants "positive" feedback like this:

iconPos_16x16.gif Buyer did a PayPal chargeback. Stole from me.

iconPos_16x16.gif Check bounced. Buyer called me a sucker for shipping before check cleared.

iconPos_16x16.gif Paid with stolen money order. Warning, this guy is a thief.

iconPos_16x16.gif Buyer never paid. Another deadbeat bidder!

In exchange for this new system, eBay is supposedly increasing the ability of sellers to block certain types of buyers. One of these types supposedly will be those with a certain amount of negative feedback. Of course since it is now impossible for a buyer to have negative feedback, I'm not sure how this will work.

This new feedback system is just stupid. The scammers will still scam because there are so many stupid buyers. All the good sellers will have their reputations tarnished because some buyers are unreasonable. And the bad buyers will be screwing over sellers freely as there is now no way for sellers to warn other sellers.

They should just scrap the feedback system and instead allow anonymous ratings based on several factors similar to the DSR now.

Please clear something up for me-a seller cannot leave negative feedback even if not paid for the auction item? That is asinine. I have championed the automatic positive feedback for buyers WHEN THEY PAY ON TIME for a couple of years and have caught, what I thought as unfair criticizm, from many sellers. I both sell and buy on ebay-probably 50-50, and have maintained my 100% feedback. I have always given immediate pos. feedback for any customer who paid in a timely manner. But, for ebay, to stop any neg. feedback from sellers who have been denied their fair payment for their auction has no positive benefit to any fair minded ebayer. Again, if this is the way ebay is working this, it is typical of their non thoughtout approach to business. They should write a book and sell it on ebay-on how to run a successful business(right into the ground).

Jim

Jim, my point is that the sellers are using eBay to make money, so they should be going through eBay channels (other than feedback) to prevent unscrupulous buyers from using the system. Those sellers who require buyers to leave feedback, first, is not a solution to the problem because it leaves the great majority of honest buyers at the mercy of unscrupulous sellers without recourse.

An excellent example of what can result from a combined and concerted effort to thwart unscrupulous buyers is the unfortunate episode that Mark Feld had with Todd Young. Ebay, with it's enormous network, could take a few pointers from this.

Chris

The only advantage, obviously, is that as a buyer, I can now leave negative feedback if the transaction calls for it without worrying about a retaliatory neg.

If I ever get a coin again that is the complete opposite than what is described then, guess what? I'll neg the bastardo!

The only advantage, obviously, is that as a buyer, I can now leave negative feedback if the transaction calls for it without worrying about a retaliatory neg.

That's the way it should be if it calls for it! On the other hand, if a buyer has shown a tendency to abuse the feedback system, then eBay should take action to remove the buyer if, and when, sellers complain.

Chris

If I ever get a coin again that is the complete opposite than what is described then, guess what? I'll neg the bastardo!

I assume you would contact the seller first and try to work it out? After all, it's subjective, so you're "PQ Gem" is my "SO-so BU".

One of the dumbest ideas ever to come out of eBay. I seriously wonder what STUPID people are running that company. They've given all the power to the buyers rather than trying to make it a level playing field. As a seller I'm disgusted. As a shareholder, I'm scared.

I've run probably 6,000+ auctions over the past 10 years and the number of whack jobs is increasing. I list the (IMHO, reasonable) shipping cost in the auction, yet I still get people who email me after the auction ends asking for reduced shipping charges. I've had people request Express and Registered mail and then act incredulous when I have the nerve to tell them that it is available at an additional cost. Now they can neg me at will.

I've had people file PayPal claims against me including one for non-delivery two days after the auction ended. A couple claims were outright fraud. Generally PayPal just gives the person their money back and smiles. Now, I cannot warn other sellers about these people. I guess eBay wants "positive" feedback like this:

iconPos_16x16.gif Buyer did a PayPal chargeback. Stole from me.

iconPos_16x16.gif Check bounced. Buyer called me a sucker for shipping before check cleared.

iconPos_16x16.gif Paid with stolen money order. Warning, this guy is a thief.

iconPos_16x16.gif Buyer never paid. Another deadbeat bidder!

In exchange for this new system, eBay is supposedly increasing the ability of sellers to block certain types of buyers. One of these types supposedly will be those with a certain amount of negative feedback. Of course since it is now impossible for a buyer to have negative feedback, I'm not sure how this will work.

This new feedback system is just stupid. The scammers will still scam because there are so many stupid buyers. All the good sellers will have their reputations tarnished because some buyers are unreasonable. And the bad buyers will be screwing over sellers freely as there is now no way for sellers to warn other sellers.

They should just scrap the feedback system and instead allow anonymous ratings based on several factors similar to the DSR now.

At last someone who has understood the complexities of the problem !!! ebay will still kick the seller off when they reach a certain feedback number weather or not the feedback was deserved.. and the seller will have to try and fight there corner against computer generated responses .. or give up!!!

Also how can you block a "dodgy" bidder before you know they are one !! that's imposable so how can that be a an improvement to the system !!

also the point was rased about how many dodgy sellers there have been listed on this forum yes there will be more but how many of us "more Knowledgeable" people would bid on the item .. 0% and like myself you have probably reported them to eBay.. but dodgy bidders how many have tried to report them !..

when like gmarguli and others you have had a few thousand sales you will also understand how many problem buyers there are out there.. and understand there viewpoints .. like myself on my last sale on Sat/Sun this week sold 98 items 89 payed within the first 2 days 1 payed on Tuesday one payed today and 7 still have to pay.. i have also had someone overseas ask where the coin is when they payed on Monday (regular post) which was only posted on Tuesday to the overseas so now i expect negative feedback because of lack of patience or the postal service

well thats enough of me ranting for now rantrant

I think its time to eliminate the feedback system completely, as it has now been debased.

I totally agree - see no reason to have it if it is going to be a one way street. Its like amnesty for some illegal alien.....why have a border if you are not going to enforce it.

Be sure to block anyone you neg from your auctions otherwise they may bid out of revenge to retaliate your neg.

Don't be so sure - You would be surprised how many friends or back doors someone may have. If you make someone mad enough, he will find a way to get you Neg FB especially if its a seller who feels he has been unfairly negged.

Perhaps ebay sellers should start a "bozo list" website of bidders who should be pre-emptively blocked. I was having this discussion with a friend who runs a shop and sells a lot of stuff on ebay who said "the number of nuts I have added to my blocked bidders list has increased tremendously in the last 18 months - whats going on?"

Don't be so sure - You would be surprised how many friends or back doors someone may have. If you make someone mad enough, he will find a way to get you Neg FB especially if its a seller who feels he has been unfairly negged.

(thumbs u spot on Parker and EZ_E titfortat here we go !!!

Good post Dooly - Did u really say EZ_E titofart? Or do I just need to be more careful reading in here......sorry if I am reading something into it that was not there lol.

"Call me a bastardo because I not your amigo coin dealer Senor? What this is you think you better than me because I have no greencard and mooch off your kind country's services? Save that term for the kids your wife will have by me hombre."

I have had several, make that many, more problems with buyers than with sellers. When buying, I always pay within a hour after the auction closes, expect reasonable shipping times or explained delays, maintain appropriate email contact with my seller and expect fair shipping prices. On my seller auctions, I always charge exactly what it will cost me to ship, via the selected option and ship within (2) business days, notify the buyer of status in a timely manner and am polite, even when seller is a turkey.

My single negative feedback was from some jerk in Florida with the type of hostility which normally, mostly occurs on the East Coast. He did not respond to several emails requesting verification of payment, receipt of payment and providing a shipping date. This went on for (21) days, then he responded and gave me loads of attitude! I threatened him back with more attitude (I was born in new Jersey and worked as a miner in Canada!). He finally shipped after (35) days and negged me!

I can not find this dealer's email address, so Fair Trade is not an option. Ebay has been stupidly unhelpful to the extent that Ebay employees have perfected the technique. I still can not get a coherent or cogent reply from Ebay. So here we are. I guess it boils down to, what is the problem, Ebay? Hello, hello, "Earth Calling Major Tom"!!

" With the type of Hostility that occurs on the East Coast " The biggest problem I have had was with a Seller in California.The second worst was Virginia. I was born and raised in California and stationed in Virginia and thise two States are the most hostile.