• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wadda you think...?

11 posts in this topic

It has got to be fake... I just don't know how he did it.

Take a couple of cents and pound them into a piece of soft brass This creates a couple of dies. Then place these "dies" around a 1955 cent and smack it with a sledge. The "dies" transfer a weak image to the cent but since the dies are softer than the cent it doesn't flatten out the detail on the cent. (In fact the cent will transfer another image to the "dies".) Shift the position of the cent in the "dies" and repeat. (You may have to use a second set of brass dies since your first set now has a doubled image itself. Or you could put a second cent into the now doubled "die" and create a cent with it's own plus two more images. Kind of like the cent in this auction.)

Sure seems odd how many different coin oddities this French seller seems to come up with. I doubt very many US collectors have had the error coins that this seller has had at one time from overseas. Here is a comparison photo with a real 1955 vs this 1955 error. Note that the bust is not doubled in the true DDO, much less tripled. I would feel sorry for the winners of this sellers auctions.

JMO

Jim

1955TDOandDDOLincolnCent.jpg

Conder, I whole heartedly agree with your explanation, I have seen this type of forgery going on for years, not prolific, but done every now and then (someone has been to the library) and now e-bay seems to be the perfect vehicle to unload these post mint wares.

~Wondering~ could this only be done on pure metal (copper, silver) coins...I would think the clad ones or zinc core would be too unmalleable?

edit: The rim of the coin actually incuses a circular line into the newly created faux-dies to hold the coin centered as it is rotated for the second ghost image. Two pieces of soft metal are required, or one that has been folded over and the coin sandwhiched between.

TLooks like the perp is about to get good money for these!

I think something like this would have been worth so much money that it would have been heard from a long before today. Also, I could never see how this could possibly be done during the minting process. As Dcoin stated, the date would have been tripled also. I think Conder's analogy would be more correct for this coin, or some great Photoshop techniques.