• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your most UNUSUAL Toned Coin!

42 posts in this topic

For this thread, I would like to see coins that have unusual toning patterns/colors. Please do not just post any toned coin. I want to see some weird stuff on this thread. I don't care if it is beautiful, ugly, NT or AT, as long as it is strange.

I will start with a Morgan Dollar that I purchased about 5 years ago from Heritage. This Morgan has both a unique toning pattern as well as uncommon colors for a Morgan. When I purchased this coin, Heritage's scans/photos were so bad there was no way to see if the coin was graded properly. After getting the coin, I believe that this coin is a very solid MS64 and may have a shot at a low end 65. But I have no intention of resubmitting it, too lazy, despite the increase in value.

MorganDollar1880NGCMS64913232-013.jpgMorganDollar1880NGCMS64913232-013Ob.jpg

OK everyone, let's see some strange stuff! :screwy:

I don't have anything that really qualifies as unusual. The winner in that category, however, would have to be the comet tail morgan posted recently in another thread.

If we have to pick winners in every picture thread I think most of us will just quit posting pictures.

Here is my non-competitive entry. I don't really have too many coins with unusual tone, but this one could be considered unusual. I guess any peace Dollar with colorful tone is a bit unusual.

NGC MS63

58101-1934-Ds.jpg.624a33d9d5c2bd4bde0d1207a3898c65.jpg

To me this looks a little different.

I was going to re-image and start a new topic with this coin in the future. Looks NT but has me thinking.... hm

I need new pics as Toning is much nicer in hand.

I have a batch of coins waiting to be sent in to NGC for grading, I think I will through this in and see what they think.

P3190237.jpg

P3190243.jpg

P3190241.jpg

I think the quarter is AU55-AU58 and has been dipped which is how it developed the toning. I predict a BB if you send it in....save your money and enjoy the coin as is... (thumbs u

If we have to pick winners in every picture thread I think most of us will just quit posting pictures.

Here is my non-competitive entry. I don't really have too many coins with unusual tone, but this one could be considered unusual. I guess any peace Dollar with colorful tone is a bit unusual.

NGC MS63

I don't care who has the most unusual coin (aka winner), I just want to see some strangely toned coins. You posted an attractively toned Peace Dollar. That alone qualifies as strange. :roflmao:

Never hear of the COMET until now, and boy is it impressive. Couldn't see the photo from here if it was posted, so for my viewing pleaseure, here it is!

paragonnumismatics_1859_513902.jpg

Yeah, the Comet is beautiful!

Here are three that I find interesting because they have similar toning on both obverse and reverse. My photos aren't the greatest, though.

58113-_MG_2179.JPG.b0a875266683405340068102b73fe128.JPG

58114-_MG_2180.JPG.84dc4c8837124f7fa0bf622fe9ca93d3.JPG

Bob,

I would say that toned Roosevelts with mottled blue toning are not uncommon. On a different series of coin, I would say it was strange toning, but not on Roosevelts. I have between 30-40 toned Rosies. Here are a few with mottled blue toning. If 10% of my Rosie's show that color scheme, I will have to say that it does not qualify as strange, but it is still a nice coin and we are glad that you posted it.

RooseveltDime1952-SNGCMS67503161-01.jpgRooseveltDime1946-SNGCMS67700257-03.jpgRooseveltDime1947-SNGCMS67503063-00.jpg

Chris,

That looks like a nice Morgan Dollar, but you are right about the photos. It appears that both sides are covered in a yellow patina which in itself is not uncommon, but if the toning in the center of the reverse is blue, then that is a little different. You don't usually see just yellow and blue. Thanks for posting.

Now I know that you guys have some freaky coins out there. I have an IKE dollar that is a little unusual. A large purple stripe, how did that get there.

EisenhowerDollar1976Type2NGCMS65.jpg

As soon as I find a new place to live, I'm going to invest in some better lighting equipment.

As for your Ike, could there have been a strip of tape on it at one time?

Chris

This one is NOT mine, but a well defined cat's eye is always interesting...

11.jpg

Now the cats eye Morgan definitely qualifies as unusual toning. It is also incredibly attractive. I have had much difficulty finding this type of toning in the Market. I did find one available for sale though. Cats Eye Morgan OMG, I just realized they are the same coin, but the photos are just completely different. WOW!

As soon as I find a new place to live, I'm going to invest in some better lighting equipment.

As for your Ike, could there have been a strip of tape on it at one time?

Chris

Tape, rubberband, etc. Something caused that little weird stripe.

A buffalo nickel with an ice blue obverse and a rose colored reverse. Now thats what I'm talkin about. (worship)(worship)(worship)

Larry, that is an amazing Buffalo! (thumbs u The color scheme reminds me somewhat of this 1946-S Washington quarter. The other thing that makes this coin unusual is that there were no US Mint Sets produced in 1946, so there are very few wildly toned coins for the date.

H1946SP66.jpg

H1946SP66R.jpg

Tom,

I was waiting for you to put one up! That is a great Washington. Vivid orange and pale green. I know that I have never seen a Washington Quarter that looked like that before. Most unusual. Bravo! :)

Cool thread!

I really like the Buffalo and the Washington quarter, they both have a somewhat unique look that lends to their appeal :)

I have a couple that I feel are unusually toned.....thanks to mgoodm3 for the wonderful photos (thumbs u

To find a steel cent that has toning and is certified by a major TPG, is pretty challenging. I have only seen one other that had this much color on it, and it was priced at over $1000 for a PCGS MS64.

NGC MS67

1943cobv.jpg

1943crev.jpg

1943cobvm.jpg

1943crevm.jpg

And, a very easy year to find mint set toners, but how many of them give a cameo appearance to the coin? ;)

PCGS MS66RB

1958Dcobv.jpg

1958Dcrev.jpg

WOW (worship)(worship)(worship)

That first rainbow toned steel cent is phenomenal. I have been looking for an attractively toned steel cent for years to no avail. I need one for my Rainbow Toned 20th Century Type Set. That coin definitely qualifies as unusual and it gets my vote for the coolest coin posted on this thread. Just outstanding!

Bought this Buff from Heritage a month or two ago with coloring similar to Larry's beauty. First images are Heritages and second images are my attempt. Coin looks even more striking in hand.

lf.jpg

lf-1.jpg

1937Buffobv746.jpg

1937Buffrev752.jpg

First of all such beautiful coins and toning everyone. I do not have much of a collection of nice "naturally toned coins" let alone "unusual". But thought I would share these two, the first of course is not NT but it was cheap and interesting, the second one is NT but (god forbid) from the third world, please forgive me. It sat in a desk drawer for several years and this was the result, have no idea what was or was not in the air there.

Rey

1993ASEObv-1.jpg

1993ASERev.jpg

1988MapleLeafObv.jpg

1988MapleLeafRev.jpg

Bought this Buff from Heritage a month or two ago with coloring similar to Larry's beauty. First images are Heritages and second images are my attempt. Coin looks even more striking in hand.

lf.jpg

lf-1.jpg

1937Buffobv746.jpg

1937Buffrev752.jpg

Bob you and Larry have some Ice Blue Blazers.4_17_11.gif^^